COOKIE

he started showin out up at Clemson what was that 2 years ago? he was all over the place in that game like he had finally turned the corner some, unfortunately he also got dinged in that game.
If anyone deserves a break its him. Besides i want those Melbourne area kids to do well, one does well here, we get more players from that area

Advertisement
He was only decent pre-injury and his best attribute was his speed. This does not bode well for him. His experience will be valued but I wouldn't expect anything surprising.

I'm in this boat, although I hope I'm wrong.

One interesting thing I saw in camp is that we are deploying Buchanon in multiple ways to take advantage of his versatility. Some of these roles are pretty surprising.

He was only decent pre-injury and his best attribute was his speed. This does not bode well for him. His experience will be valued but I wouldn't expect anything surprising.

One interesting thing I saw in camp is that we are deploying Buchanon in multiple ways to take advantage of his versatility. Some of these roles are pretty surprising.

Maybe that will help. I think he'd be best weakside but I don't think we have a strongside linebacker right now so he's forced there due to our personnel. Armbrister given his background might be our best strongside candidate but I dont think he has the size or physicality for now and probably also not the instinct. Due to his overall ability, injury, and position, if's hard for me to believe this guy will shine. People always throws out the maxey reference neglecting the other 95% of guys that just kept on being mediocre.

Buchanon struggled with reads and shedding blocks. What he had is speed to make up for it and a willingness to put his hat down and hit people.

He will need to improve on his reads and shedding blocks if his speed has diminished since the injury.

Sorry for being the grammatical police here. Correct me if im wrong, but is Cookie's last name spelled Buchanon or Buchanan(which i think it is).
In any case, im hoping for cookie to have a Tavares Gooden's senior type of year.

Advertisement

New headset guy?

the ACL should not have a real noticeable impact on him IMO. at the LB spot he should be fine. he may be more sensitive to guys diving at his knee but his change of direction and speed should be fine.

I think he will have a good year. maybe 2nd or 3rd team All ACC type year

I thought he looked good going sideline to sideline last season. I admittedly don't have the eye for X's and O's that a lot of y'all have, so maybe I am wrong, but he looked like he was at least going to be a solid starter for us last year before the injury.

Advertisement
Buchanon has all the tools athletically to be a successful player. Now he needs to show that he also has the instincts and the football smarts to get him there.

He's been playing out of position his entire career here. Finally in the right spot, but as k9 said, it usually takes a good 1.5-2 years to be 100%(or as close as you're gonna get to it) after those types of injuries. Don't expect him to have the same type of explosiveness, but at least he's in the right spot now.

I know he's unproven, but isn't Eddie johnson big enough to be a sam right now?

If Buchanan always had trouble getting off blocks Will should be a good place for him.

Advertisement
if Cookie is at SAM I don't care if he's 100% recovered. He's not a good fit. He doesn't take on blocks in the hole. He waits for the blocker to reach him too often. I'm not sure if he just doesn't see things develop quick enough or if he's just not willing to sacrifice his body as much as the team needs. i tend to believe its more the not seeing things develop quick enough but i don't know for sure.

Advertisement
For the Record either Ambrister or EJ will be Sam. Buch is a WLB.

Exactly. Buch has played Will all camp long. The only guys who have really shifted around have been Paul and Gaines. Johnson and Armbrister have been at Sam all camp long too.

For the Record either Ambrister or EJ will be Sam. Buch is a WLB.

Exactly. Buch has played Will all camp long. The only guys who have really shifted around have been Paul and Gaines. Johnson and Armbrister have been at Sam all camp long too.

well i'll give him the wait and see approach if he's at WLB. Hopefully he gets to use that speed to make plays. If he doesn't I think Cornelius will, so Cookie needs to make some things happen or he'll see less and less time even if he still starts.

He's had a lock on the starting role all camp long. If he wasn't playing worth a **** in practice, I think the coaches would have made a move already. They definitely don't play guys simply because they are older.

Advertisement
Back