Cook state title game highlights

Even though I am rooting for AUB, I dont think some of you realize what it would do to our conference if an undefeated FSU loses to a ONE LOSS SEC team. That would set this conference back (and other conferences) at least 5 years. The ACC is already thought of as a joke conference. This FSU team has dominated all year. If they lose to AUB, Smh. Lord help the ACC in years to come. That is why I dont totally kill any Cane fan that roots for FSU to win. This thing is WAY bigger then our rivalry. But thats another story for another day. Go War Eagle!

Dmoney, I dont know if Cook is the "Patrick Peterson" of RBs. (There wont be and hasnt been since many 6'1 200lb DBs with 4.4 speed and the skills of a DB in SoFla) But I get your point. He is a program changer at his position.

Advertisement
I hear ya Jassid but the ACC is a joke and you can't mask that. Even if FSU wins, the conference itself barely has any credibility until we step up to the plate.

Killa, I will ******* puke if he goes to FSU.

If we can't get him, I will, for the first time, pray for a recruit to pick UiF.

Same dude. I'm ******* disgusted, especially if they also add Lane and Rudolph as has been rumored.

I am in the same boat as you. If he ain't coming to UF I'm praying for Miami or any other team we don't play. I couldn't take it otherwise, that will make it at least bearable.

We've got mother****ers on this board rooting for FSU in the championship game. Never mind the fact it only helps them land elite prospects in others backyards.

You can't be serious. What Cane would root for ******* FSU? To win a national title???

A certain mod gets all warm and fuzzy when FSU winning a Nat'l Championship gets brought up. Pretty disgusting stuff especially on a Miami message board.

Let me continue. Obviously you know WAY more about these guys so I'm genuinely curious. To me Cook is an elite athlete playing running back. That's great.....get all those types you can. Don't get me wrong I would go nuts if we land him. I just don't see him having the instant impact Duke did on the ground, but he will probably be used in some special packages to showcase his skills. Yearby to me looks like a kid that gets by because he has elite vision and short area burst. Now picture him down the road with some weight on him. I like the thought of that since speed isn't his game.

Obviously Cook can be great but its going to take time at RB. Luckily we don't need either right away to dominate.

Yearby is a great back. Faster than I thought. Better than I thought.

But the one thing that still separates Cook from Yearby is size. It's one thing to be short. Yearby is short and slight, with narrow shoulders and a thin frame. Cook outweighed Yearby by 17 pounds at the Opening and looks even heavier now.

Size matters, especially between the tackles. We saw that this year with Duke. Yearby makes his living between the tackles. I have some concerns about how that style will translate against bigger/stronger/faster players.

Physical freaks like Cook tend to make an impact early. Look at all the different ways Coley scored for us this year. Cook will score running, receiving and returning as a true freshman because he is that much more talented than everyone else.

Yoy say that "Cook is an athlete playing RB." I disagree. Sure, Yearby is the more natural back. But look at the run at 1:51 and tell me Cook is not a natural runner. It bears repeating that Cook has been the most productive back in South Florida the past two years. He rushed for 1,940 yards (11 ypc) and 34 TDs this season against the toughest schedule in America. That's historic-type production.

To me, Yearby is Tracy Howard. Pure at his position, smooth, tough, instinctual. Cook is Patrick Peterson. I'd love to have both, but one has a higher upside than the other.

Love the Peterson comparison. Cook is that type of freak talent.

Just in like 2008, there was Brandon Harris & Patrick Peterson. On paper they were extremely close - Both 5 Star CB's from South Florida, ran 4.4's, had all the intangibles - any program in the country would take them.

But on the field it was a different story. Peterson was a couple inches taller, 20 lbs. heavier, and on a completely different level athletically. In reality, they weren't that close.

That's how I feel about Yearby & Cook. And that's not to slight Harris or Yearby, it's just because of that extra level athleticism that they won't be able to do the things Peterson & Cook can.

Advertisement
Even though I am rooting for AUB, I dont think some of you realize what it would do to our conference if an undefeated FSU loses to a ONE LOSS SEC team. That would set this conference back (and other conferences) at least 5 years. The ACC is already thought of as a joke conference. This FSU team has dominated all year. If they lose to AUB, Smh. Lord help the ACC in years to come. That is why I dont totally kill any Cane fan that roots for FSU to win. This thing is WAY bigger then our rivalry. But thats another story for another day. Go War Eagle!

Dmoney, I dont know if Cook is the "Patrick Peterson" of RBs. (There wont be and hasnt been since many 6'1 200lb DBs with 4.4 speed and the skills of a DB in SoFla) But I get your point. He is a program changer at his position.

FSU winning the championship helps FSU. I don't see why you think it would help anyone else in our conference, most of all us.

People will call me crazy, but I think people are not giving the attention to Gus Edwards that he deserves. This kid has the potential to carry the rock for a lot of yards next year. My guess is that he carries the ball as much as Crawford against Louisville. As far as Cook, he reminds me more of Willis than anyone.

Golden wasn't letting a freshman Duke Johnson start over Mike James in 2012. He's not going to let Cook start over Duke should he come here.

Well I don't necessarily think he will "start", but I think he would be getting more touches than Duke by the end of the season.

One of the most insane posts you've ever made.

Just lol @ a freshman Cook starting over Duke.

Mark it down.

Terrible...

This is when I go back to the fact that you're an insider for the program. Definitely NOT a talent evaluator.

****** negged.

Advertisement
Golden wasn't letting a freshman Duke Johnson start over Mike James in 2012. He's not going to let Cook start over Duke should he come here.

Well I don't necessarily think he will "start", but I think he would be getting more touches than Duke by the end of the season.

One of the most insane posts you've ever made.

Just lol @ a freshman Cook starting over Duke.

Mark it down.

Terrible...

This is when I go back to the fact that you're an insider for the program. Definitely NOT a talent evaluator.

****in negged.
Yep agree

Love the acceleration but his patience, vision and leg drive are still lacking. Like others have said in this thread I prefer Duke and don't see Cook as a big upgrade over Yearby - just a different style of back. Also was it just me or was that film sped up a bit unnecessarily?

Jeffrey Lebowski, I was thinking along the lines of the conference getting even less respect then it does now. Lets say we go undefeated next year and its between us and a one-loss SEC team to get the last spot in the 4 team playoff. If FSU loses to AUB, that would give the panel something to REALLY think about. The SEC already thinks they own the **** joint. They already think that a 1 loss SEC team is equilavent to an undefeated team in any other conference. ****, maybe they are right. But I dont see how AUB winning is better then FSU winning. We lose either way IMO.

But I dont want to argue the point. My team isnt in it so frankly I shouldnt be rooting for any phuckin body to begin with and neither should any other Cane fan. (Unless you got money on the line of course)

There's only one high school reel that rivals duke's and that's cook's. that kid is going to be a program changer wherever he goes, hope it's here for our sake. IMO cook hands down is the best player in the state, the things he would do if yearby wasn't in the same backfield would be insane. No knock on yearby, but really it's not even close.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let me continue. Obviously you know WAY more about these guys so I'm genuinely curious. To me Cook is an elite athlete playing running back. That's great.....get all those types you can. Don't get me wrong I would go nuts if we land him. I just don't see him having the instant impact Duke did on the ground, but he will probably be used in some special packages to showcase his skills. Yearby to me looks like a kid that gets by because he has elite vision and short area burst. Now picture him down the road with some weight on him. I like the thought of that since speed isn't his game.

Obviously Cook can be great but its going to take time at RB. Luckily we don't need either right away to dominate.

Yearby is a great back. Faster than I thought. Better than I thought.

But the one thing that still separates Cook from Yearby is size. It's one thing to be short. Yearby is short and slight, with narrow shoulders and a thin frame. Cook outweighed Yearby by 17 pounds at the Opening and looks even heavier now.

Size matters, especially between the tackles. We saw that this year with Duke. Yearby makes his living between the tackles. I have some concerns about how that style will translate against bigger/stronger/faster players.

Physical freaks like Cook tend to make an impact early. Look at all the different ways Coley scored for us this year. Cook will score running, receiving and returning as a true freshman because he is that much more talented than everyone else.

Yoy say that "Cook is an athlete playing RB." I disagree. Sure, Yearby is the more natural back. But look at the run at 1:51 and tell me Cook is not a natural runner. It bears repeating that Cook has been the most productive back in South Florida the past two years. He rushed for 1,940 yards (11 ypc) and 34 TDs this season against the toughest schedule in America. That's historic-type production.

To me, Yearby is Tracy Howard. Pure at his position, smooth, tough, instinctual. Cook is Patrick Peterson. I'd love to have both, but one has a higher upside than the other.

although i agree with the size advantage and how it can help with durability, i believe Yearby possesses talents that can't be measured on a scale or in a 40yd dash. His football instincts & vision combined with his ability to make decisive cuts in small spaces and run hard are VERY special. The likes of which i believe we haven't seen since Frank Gore. Gore came in about the same size as Yearby, with a very similar skill set and history of production throughout his high school career.

As i believe Cook would compare more favorably to Mcgahee, arguably the most talented back in UM history. Mcgahee was big and strong, yet showcased his talents when breaking runs outside. And although he was bigger and faster, had Gore not suffered multiple ACL tears, i think he would have left as our most prolific RB ever.

Not sure if Yearby with end up being better then Cook, but i do believe he is very special in his own right.

And to ad to the above point. I would easily take Yearby over the last highly talented and productive RB we had, Lamar Miller. Miller as well was bigger, faster and liked to break his runs outside, yet didn't posses the necessary instincts or willingness to be a successful RB between the tackles.

Not saying I wouldn't be ecstatic if we got Cook. But, Duke, Gus, Yearby and Powell combine to make up one of the most talented backfields in the nation.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back