Consider Knee Braces For Everybody

There is no meaningful way to analyze the data that they have. There are all types of braces, all types of positions in football. Our OL braced this year and didn't suffer any knee injuries. But we had knee injuries at RB, WR, and LB (positions that don't brace). What does that mean? I have no ******* idea.

Some NFL players brace, but they are given the option according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, as opposed to college players that are forced to wear it by their program. The speed in the NFL is faster. The OL are required to do more open field blocking. An NFL player ain't gonna sacrifice performance vs. preventative measures when his livelihood is on the line. If I had healthy knees, and never had an injury, I would think that wearing a knee brace every day is ******* retarded. But when your knee blows out, and you are facing a career end (20% never return back to normal), then you might have thought twice about the brace.

The studies in the article were inconclusive --- not that they do more harm than good. "Therefore, due to the inconsistent findings within the literature, we deem the current evidence regarding the efficacy of prophylactic knee bracing in reducing knee injuries inconclusive."

I am not about wearing knee braces for any sport, except for offensive lineman and a specific type of hit on the knee. Having a 300 pound guys fall into the side of your knee is gonna blow it out. A knee brace may help prevent a tear. It shouldn't be mandatory like some programs, but encouraged leaving the option to each individual player.

Advertisement
Both Miami and the Vikings lost a quarterback to a non contact injury. Bridgewater's was especially severe. The knee is perhaps the most vulnerable joint in the body. It is surprising that it stand up to the abuse it takes in sports and life in general.
Yeah. I tore my meniscus getting out of a taxi. I was getting out to go to PT for my back. Personally I think it's more important to wear a condom all the time than a knee brace. Never know when you get a chance unexpectedly. Better to be prepared.

There is no meaningful way to analyze the data that they have. There are all types of braces, all types of positions in football. Our OL braced this year and didn't suffer any knee injuries. But we had knee injuries at RB, WR, and LB (positions that don't brace). What does that mean? I have no ****ing idea.

Some NFL players brace, but they are given the option according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, as opposed to college players that are forced to wear it by their program. The speed in the NFL is faster. The OL are required to do more open field blocking. An NFL player ain't gonna sacrifice performance vs. preventative measures when his livelihood is on the line. If I had healthy knees, and never had an injury, I would think that wearing a knee brace every day is ****ing retarded. But when your knee blows out, and you are facing a career end (20% never return back to normal), then you might have thought twice about the brace.

The studies in the article were inconclusive --- not that they do more harm than good. "Therefore, due to the inconsistent findings within the literature, we deem the current evidence regarding the efficacy of prophylactic knee bracing in reducing knee injuries inconclusive."

I am not about wearing knee braces for any sport, except for offensive lineman and a specific type of hit on the knee. Having a 300 pound guys fall into the side of your knee is gonna blow it out. A knee brace may help prevent a tear. It shouldn't be mandatory like some programs, but encouraged leaving the option to each individualr player.

"prophylactic knee braces"?

Hmmm...New one to me. No wonder it's inconclusive.

I'll stick with condoms for now.

Advertisement
Crimson Cane doesn't know when to just take the L and move along.

Knee braces on O-Linemen save countless ACLs.

After the game we all witnessed last night people here want to talk about...
...Knee braces.

Really?

...Knee braces.

Really?

It's not people, it's one maniac who decided to bump a 4 month old thread for no reason.

Why don't NFL Lineman wear them? And what about the maniac who said the Bama game was over after being up 7-0?

It got bumped because I read an article saying how there is ZERO evidence that suggests knee braces do more good than harm. ZERO!

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
...Knee braces.

Really?

It's not people, it's one maniac who decided to bump a 4 month old thread for no reason.

Why don't NFL Lineman wear them? What about the maniac that called the Bama game over after they were up 7-0?

It was 14-0 and Clemson looked like they had no pulse. I was wrong.

And as I said before, all NE Patriot lineman do. Find me the last time one of them tore their ACL.

...Knee braces.

Really?

Why don't NFL Lineman wear them? What about the maniac that called the Bama game over after they were up 7-0?

And as I said before, all NE Patriot lineman do. Find me the last time one of them tore their ACL.

Source -- New England Patriots' Logan Mankins played '11 with torn ACL

...Knee braces.

Really?

So even though they are supposedly effective, only 1 out of 32 NFL teams wears them. That's your argument?

...Knee braces.

Really?

Exactly. Six years ago.

Six years with no torn knee ligaments for oline men but you're arguing they don't work. Makes sense.

Advertisement

Exactly. Six years ago.

Six years with no torn knee ligaments for oline men but you're arguing they don't work. Makes sense.

And don't bring up 14-0. You said it was over at 7-0

If you get used to wearing a knee brace all the time then take it off your knee is weaker and would likely cause more knee injuries

How do you know this is true? I'm not saying it isn't, but how do you know it?

Because I had 2 meniscus surgeries my senior year of high school and suggested the same thing to my doctor and PT and they explained it to me. The muscles in the knee are so small and are so adapted to being used on their own for full support and when you take some strain off them by using a brace for support they progressively get weaker.

The muscles lose their strength much faster and are much more difficult to target and strengthen than a large muscle such as a quad or bicep. Wearing a knee brace for 2-3 days during practice up to the game could be risky if you aren't wearing it in the game as well due to muscles memory

If you get used to wearing a knee brace all the time then take it off your knee is weaker and would likely cause more knee injuries

How do you know this is true? I'm not saying it isn't, but how do you know it?

Because I had 2 meniscus surgeries my senior year of high school and suggested the same thing to my doctor and PT and they explained it to me. The muscles in the knee are so small and are so adapted to being used on their own for full support and when you take some strain off them by using a brace for support they progressively get weaker.

The muscles lose their strength much faster and are much more difficult to target and strengthen than a large muscle such as a quad or bicep. Wearing a knee brace for 2-3 days during practice up to the game could be risky if you aren't wearing it in the game as well due to muscles memory

Thank you. I have the problems with my ankles and have been told something similar in regards to ankle braces

Advertisement
These things are probably all interrelated--ankles, knees, thighs and pelvis. They talk of the kinetic chain. (Being serious about this one.)

To strengthen knee might actually need to work on the core and glutes. At least that's what the PTs are emphasizing with me. Could be that problems with feet and ankles, particularly bad gait, could have impact the knee. I have a very good physiatrist who talks about these things.

Advertisement
Back