Confirmed by Barry, the bot and admin do not care.

One of the things people don’t realize about Bama is the Cush schedule they play. Most of the SEC West is dog****. East is worse. That said, a Diaz led Canes team would struggle in that conference.

Advertisement
I think the next UM coach will be either Mario or Lane Kiffin. If Blake is fired or reassigned and Alonzo hired to oversee football, Mario will be new coach. Blake tenure intrinsically linked to Manny. I like Manny and he is very smart, job just too big for someone who never ran a program. I think Mario is a good comp with Butch, great great recruiters, who need to hire really exceptional staffs to be successful on both sides of ball. At the end of the day, recruiting is the name of game though, and Mario or Kiffin check those boxes.
I wonder if this Board would have the guts to hire Highsmith and give him a free hand. They’d give Blake a $100 million dollar, ten year extension before they’d hire Highsmith. Too much Wokery on that Board.

That said, I believe Diaz does JUST ENOUGH to get an extension.

Emerald Bowl, here we come!

If the Diaz hire taught me anything, its to be careful what I wish for. We wanted Coker gone and look who we got. We wanted Radio gone and look who we got. We wanted Richt gone and look who we got.

The fck are we gonna do if they fire Blake James and replace him with jen strawley? And before anyone says thats not happening, her UM bio actually says she is the "sport administrator for football" and that she "played a key role in the hiring of head football coach Mark Richt, serving on the selection committee." She'd be in the running to replace him.

I can't stand Manny. But if they clean house, things can somehow get much much worse unfortunately.

Come on! Fisher is NOT leaving A&M to come to this dumpster fire unless the Royal Caribbean BOT member gives him a 25% interest in the cruise line.
I never said he would. This is all just a bunch of what ifs.

I never said he would. This is all just a bunch of what ifs.
True that.

That said, you’ll notice the provenance of Barry’s article? People at UM use Jackson to engage in hostile leaking from time to time. This article is one of those times. Someone on the BOT is deeply upset not just about the performance of the team last Saturday but about the general arrangements at the Hecht.

Advertisement
Didn't Jimbo leave FSU due to their lack of commitment to improving facilities and football budget? He would face the same problems here.
I can give you $75 million reasons Fisher left for A&M. Call me when he gets within 2 touchdowns of Alabama.

True that.

That said, you’ll notice the provenance of Barry’s article? People at UM use Jackson to engage in hostile leaking from time to time. This article is one of those times. Someone on the BOT is deeply upset not just about the performance of the team last Saturday but about the general arrangements at the Hecht.
Yeah but Jackson has a way of spinning his opinion as fact. Like I’m sure no one said it takes 10M

Manny won 9 last year and he should win 10 this year with the schedule.

In 2022 - Southern Miss, Texas A&M, Clemson (2 losses there) and 1 or 2 more out of conference games yet to be scheduled & same crappy ACC. So that is TBD.

In 2023 - Miami (OH), Temple, Texas A&M & no Clemson. Same crappy ACC so that’s TBD. It’s not impossible for Manny to reel off 3 straight 10 win seasons.

I didn’t say Manny was going to do it. It was said in the context as to what would need to happen for the program to start to come back so don’t get your panties in a bunch.
If he can’t win ten games with this schedule and roster he’ll never do it.

Advertisement
Again, this all starts with the AD. After that you can spend money smartly which Miami has not done in forever. Think about this, we bought out Diaz from Temple with a 5 minute coaching search. We extended Richt but thank goodness Richt retired. We extended Golden for winning 9 games even after he flopped the last 4 games of that season. Geez, even in basketball, Jim should have been fired after this season.

Diaz was hired because from the university's perspective, he was the cheapest option with the least amount of risk. He was being hired from a staff that led the program to its 1st coastal division title, 1st bowl win in a decade, and NY6 bowl appearance. Furthermore that previous staff was hired at the recommendation of a search committee the university paid top dollar for. Compared to hiring someone else at a similar bottom rung salary, Diaz had less unknowns. This is especially true when you consider the fact they were hiring him from a program in Temple, that produces P5 HCs at a higher rate than any other G5 program.

As for handing out extensions prematurely. Its not difficult to understand, that's a tactic they are employing in order to offset & get a handle on runaway inflation that has occurred in Div I salaries for CFB HCs in the last 20 yrs.

All three HCs - Shannon, Golden & Diaz, were some of the lowest paid HCs in P5. Which is why it's insane to expect anything more than mediocrity.

Last edited:
This 👆

And even if he does, we shouldn't extend him. We will have the more talented roster against all of our remaining opponents including UNC and as we know that's 80% of it. So even an average coaching job SHOULD do it. Anything less is failure. I mean how many teams on our schedule do we need to out scheme or out coach to win??

Our roster is more talented than UNC & NCST

Diaz was hired because from the university's perspective, he was the cheapest option with the least amount of risk. He was being hired from a staff that led the program to its 1st coastal division title, 1st bowl win in a decade, and NY6 bowl appearance. Furthermore that previous staff was hired at the recommendation of a search committee the university paid top dollar for. Compared to hiring someone else at a similar bottom rung salary, Diaz had less unknowns. This is especially true when you consider the fact they were hiring him from a program in Temple, that produces P5 HCs at a higher rate than any other G5 program.

As for handing out extensions prematurely. Its not difficult to understand, that's a tactic they are employing in order to offset & get a handle on runaway inflation that has occurred in Div I salaries for CFB HCs in the last 20 y
All three HCs - Shannon, Golden & Diaz, were some of the lowest paid HCs in P5. Which is why it's insane to expect anything more from this program than mediocrity.
You must change AD's end of story. You hire Sam Jankovich you get JJ, Dennis, you make a bad hire in Blake, and you get what we have.

And to that I would say that we need to move on if that’s the case. But if he wins anywhere from 7-9 games, as fireable as that is & with the ADs job also at stake, they will probably give him one more year. I would hope that wouldn’t be the case but until proven otherwise, that’s probably what will happen.

Advertisement
Manny won 9 last year and he should win 10 this year with the schedule.

In 2022 - Southern Miss, Texas A&M, Clemson (2 losses there) and 1 or 2 more out of conference games yet to be scheduled & same crappy ACC. So that is TBD.

In 2023 - Miami (OH), Temple, Texas A&M & no Clemson. Same crappy ACC so that’s TBD. It’s not impossible for Manny to reel off 3 straight 10 win seasons.

I didn’t say Manny was going to do it. It was said in the context as to what would need to happen for the program to start to come back so don’t get your panties in a bunch.
He won 8 last year sport. Get it right. All you have to do is google it to see 8-3 was the 2020 record. But go on propping up your boy who owns the two worst losses in Miami history and is a coRch of epic proportions. Smh did you happen to notice that with a whole offseason to prepared his team came out looking no different then it has in the last 3 years? The 3 Us of manny my man, undisciplined, unprepared and unmotivated. The team is a reflection of the head man, no wonder we play like a bunch of Pussies out there, hard to respect a coach who never even played the game. Dude never put the blood sweat and tears on the field, so how’s he supposed to command others to do it my friend?

After watching most of the teams we play this year in week 1, including Miami for a half, this isn't the cakewalk schedule it may appear to be. Roadies in Pittsburgh, Tally, Chapel Hill will be a challenge. 4 games in 19 days the rest of this month looks pretty daunting with UVA on a short week with alternate uniforms made of whale blubber. NC State is no joke. GT and Duke have beaten us 2 out of the last 3 times we met. Aside from UCONN State who are the cupcakes?

He won 8 last year sport. Get it right. All you have to do is google it to see 8-3 was the 2020 record. But go on propping up your boy who owns the two worst losses in Miami history and is a coRch of epic proportions. Smh did you happen to notice that with a whole offseason to prepared his team came out looking no different then it has in the last 3 years? The 3 Us of manny my man, undisciplined, unprepared and unmotivated. The team is a reflection of the head man, no wonder we play like a bunch of Pussies out there, hard to respect a coach who never even played the game. Dude never put the blood sweat and tears on the field, so how’s he supposed to command others to do it my friend?
I appreciate the correction. No need to be so emotional about it.

Frankly, I don’t disagree with a lot of the things you say & he’s not my boy nor am I defending him. I said he should be fired if he wins less than 10 games but he won’t. I am just taking the emotion of it.

I will disagree with your point on him or any coach not being a player has anything to do with their ability to coach. There are plenty of examples of dudes that didn’t play football that are good coaches.

Advertisement
What part of ND being a $100M program do you not understand? I want you to read the following very carefully & slowly, so you really understand what's being discussed.

👇

https://www.onefootdown.com/2020/5/...raw-jack-swarbrick-2018-2019-compensation-irs

"the federal disclosure doesn’t require the university to detail at least two sources of compensation for football coach Brian Kelly, which likely means he had the highest income of any coach during the year ending June 30, 2019.

The university reported it made payments to Kelly’s limited liability company, but were excluded because they’re not required as part of the IRS Form 990 disclosure. As in past years, the accountants also noted that Kelly “is permitted to receive compensation from external sources with prior written approval from the university.” Since the university is not a party to those agreements —- for example, between Kelly and Under Armour — and the coach doesn’t provide any services to the university because of those agreements, they don’t have to be included in this document."

But lets say for arguments sake what you're insinuating is correct, that Brian Kelly is one of the lowest paid HCs in CFB, and MIA can easily find someone of his caliber too, if it only tried harder. It's easier to swallow being underpaid at a $100M program that annually competes for the CFB playoffs, than it is at a middling ACC program struggling to stay afloat. Do you understand?
1) the revenues of each program are irrelevant to Kelly’s pay.
2) I stand corrected. As someone who does this professionally, that is a creative way to not only get around the reporting requirements on a couple of parts of the 990, but to avoid a 21% tax on his compensation above $1m. Kudos to them for figuring that out. When I first responded it was to your comment that his pay was not out there because they are private. I didn’t read the article.
3) A LOT of coaches get compensation from non university sources.
4) There is no reason to be an unmitigated prick.

And to that I would say that we need to move on if that’s the case. But if he wins anywhere from 7-9 games, as fireable as that is & with the ADs job also at stake, they will probably give him one more year. I would hope that wouldn’t be the case but until proven otherwise, that’s probably what will happen.
We need and want Manny to finish out his current contract without an extension. That would be ideal for a few reasons, even if it impacts recruiting some.

And even then, only extend him if the buyout equals a happy hour tab at Flany's

We need and want Manny to finish out his current contract without an extension. That would be ideal for a few reasons, even if it impacts recruiting some.

And even then, only extend him if the buyout equals a happy hour tab at Flany's
5 posts your first 8 years here and now we can't shut you up.

Upvoted for happy hour at Flany's.

Advertisement
Back