Conference schedule only?

No one else has been able to explain it, but can you explain how playing conference games lessens the risk? I don't think the VID knows the difference between conference and non-conference games. It's truly nonsense for supposedly intelligent bureaucrats at schools to be considering this sort of arrangement, if they are.

Either play the season or postpone it indefinitely. Playing Temple isn't going to be any more or less dangerous than playing UNC.

The examples I have seen regarding conference games pertained to Michigan and the BIG10. It cited mainly travel concerns (being able to bus to and from the games and not stay in a hotel), which would be pertinent for some schools in the same conference geographically closer to each other (Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State). The other issue is that different conferences may have different testing standards that are not up to whatever the P5 conferences want to do. This article explains that ideally players would be tested and receive their results the day before the game. These tests are more expensive and may not make sense financially for some schools to do every week on everyone involved.

Where Miami has an issue is geographically we aren't within a bus drive of anyone in our conference. For the U, the biggest obstacle I can think of from a liability standpoint when playing non conference games is to make sure that testing can be performed up to whatever standards they are comfortable with.

Advertisement
PLayers will be more safe on campus in a bubble with their team and taking online classes rather than being back home in the general population

If they're in a bubble. If the campus is open, and there are frat parties........

So true , everything they need is near them self contained little world , practice , eat , online school and sleep then do it all over again again excellent point.

Alcohol baths after practice, etc etc...

1594146499558.png

Advertisement

The examples I have seen regarding conference games pertained to Michigan and the BIG10. It cited mainly travel concerns (being able to bus to and from the games and not stay in a hotel), which would be pertinent for some schools in the same conference geographically closer to each other (Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State). The other issue is that different conferences may have different testing standards that are not up to whatever the P5 conferences want to do. This article explains that ideally players would be tested and receive their results the day before the game. These tests are more expensive and may not make sense financially for some schools to do every week on everyone involved.

Where Miami has an issue is geographically we aren't within a bus drive of anyone in our conference. For the U, the biggest obstacle I can think of from a liability standpoint when playing non conference games is to make sure that testing can be performed up to whatever standards they are comfortable with.
Thanks for the answer. The bus travel idea only works for a few pockets of schools in various conferences, so I don't find it very effective or persuasive.

The testing issue is important. I'd make a bright line rule on that. If you want to play football, then you have to have certain minimum testing measures in place. If you can't afford them, then your school or conference can't play football.

Advertisement
Thanks for the answer. The bus travel idea only works for a few pockets of schools in various conferences, so I don't find it very effective or persuasive.

The testing issue is important. I'd make a bright line rule on that. If you want to play football, then you have to have certain minimum testing measures in place. If you can't afford them, then your school or conference can't play football.
Wonder if besides what's in the Michigan article that the philosophy may also be to start the schedule later. in some circumstances, that may mean rescheduling some of the previously scheduled conference games. Schedule from early October-late November. I'm just making this **** up as I go, but a later start date might work??

Testing won’t be a problem for UM. Nobody likes that fūcking swab deep in their nose, but that’s the price that will need to be paid. I would guess testing weekly during football season (all players/every week? probably not, but I don’t know), daily temp checks, health checks etc. They’ll have a system in place assuming the season is played. Seems like they’re doing things right currently.

Interesting to see how the NFL proceeds

Sure, campus cops can do whatever they need to in order to stop kids from having parties at the frat houses but if you think there aren't going to be parties off campus this year then you mustve forgotten what its like to be 20 years old and not living under your parents' roof anymore

Off-campus and frat houses are 2 completely different things. There is control over frats (like getting their charter pulled) that there isn’t off campus.

Advertisement
Testing won’t be a problem for UM. Nobody likes that fūcking swab deep in their nose, but that’s the price that will need to be paid. I would guess testing weekly during football season (all players/every week? probably not, but I don’t know), daily temp checks, health checks etc. They’ll have a system in place assuming the season is played. Seems like they’re doing things right currently.

Interesting to see how the NFL proceeds
Unfortunately it won't just be up to UM, the testing requirements of the other opponents will need to meet the same standards as UM's

Unfortunately it won't just be up to UM, the testing requirements of the other opponents will need to meet the same standards as UM's

Right. But for them only the week when we play them.

If the Publix parking lot near where I live is running thousands of tests per week, I think a university can manage some pre-arranged standard for one week.

I don’t even know if the season gets played or not, but there is nothing from a preparation standpoint that should prevent them from playing if they decide to go

Advertisement
No one else has been able to explain it, but can you explain how playing conference games lessens the risk? I don't think the VID knows the difference between conference and non-conference games. It's truly nonsense for supposedly intelligent bureaucrats at schools to be considering this sort of arrangement, if they are.

Either play the season or postpone it indefinitely. Playing Temple isn't going to be any more or less dangerous than playing UNC.

Completely agree.

Not sure how waiting "one more month" changes anything.

Either play the games, or wait 4-5 months.

Advertisement
Back