MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
For much of my life, if you put me on the spot, I would have told you that I preferred the SEC. Until the Big 10 added the west coast schools and Miami belatedly got the AAU invitation, I would not have expected Miami to get a Big 10 bid, and I'm not all that impressed with "Michigan and Taint and Pedo State...and then every other ****** state school in the Midwest".

I'd be fine with the SEC if that was the ultimate decision. The addition of Texas and aTm has bolstered the academic credentials. I love the geography. And I've already made the argument that the SEC might be BETTER OFF taking Miami over F$U (assuming they only take 1 more Florida-based school).

I said "Big 10" in that prior post because I felt that the SEC was unlikely. But I could definitely be OK with the SEC.

Suppose both Miami and FSU both went to the SEC. That would mean we would play both FSU and the Gators annually. That would be very meaningful to Miami's football program, to keep the FSU game and to renew the annual rivalry with UF.

Instead of playing FSU at home every other year, we would get a major rivalry game in Miami on a guaranteed annual basis. That would mean a lot to a lot of people who matter. FInancially and, more importantly, just to the alumni and supporters, it would help toward bolstering interest in the program locally more consistently.

Also, Miami has a long history with the SEC as a conference and flirtation with membership, moreso than the Big 10. As counterintuitive as that might seem. I mean, I get the counter-argument. Big 10 is a fantastic conference in football and superior academically, and I would be thrilled if we joined. They're the new **** thing, especially with the addition of the CA schools. But I continue to believe that we'll end up in the SEC, I've heard about our flirtations with the SEC for years, and I'm betting that's where we land ultimately.

There's also ESPN. Moving to the SEC has to be the path of least resistence, just because ESPN is a big stakeholder in all this GOR stuff. ESPN can broker something with the ACC and spare the schools a lot of legal trouble, FOX can't.

SEC is an equal or better football conference to the Big 10 which happens makes more sense due to geography, historical ties, rivalries and interest, and due to practical concerns given current contractual commitments.

Suppose both Miami and FSU both went to the SEC. That would mean we would play both FSU and the Gators annually.

There are zero things, schedule-wise, that would be any better than that arrangement.

Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

Advertisement
Strong points.

Would you be ok with SEC if not B1G?

In my view, SEC is in stronger position school-wide (from TV $ perspective long-term) than B1G.

Academically, yes, B1G is superior.

What really concerns me is Miami's lack of expansion of the University in general. I think it is going to haunt them in decades to come.
I would disagree that the SEC is stronger from a TV perspective....doesnt the B10 have more deals with more networks?

Years ago there was a plan put forth to open a whole biotech research area on land that used to be a farm in Northern PBC. The only thing built so far was a shooting range as the other plans changed. There is a bunch of acreage that would make for a great northern campus.
U of M Palm Beach? So, UMPB?

Suppose both Miami and FSU both went to the SEC. That would mean we would play both FSU and the Gators annually. That would be very meaningful to Miami's football program, to keep the FSU game and to renew the annual rivalry with UF.

Instead of playing FSU at home every other year, we would get a major rivalry game in Miami on a guaranteed annual basis. That would mean a lot to a lot of people who matter. FInancially and, more importantly, just to the alumni and supporters, it would help toward bolstering interest in the program locally more consistently.

Also, Miami has a long history with the SEC as a conference and flirtation with membership, moreso than the Big 10. As counterintuitive as that might seem. I mean, I get the counter-argument. Big 10 is a fantastic conference in football and superior academically, and I would be thrilled if we joined. They're the new **** thing, especially with the addition of the CA schools. But I continue to believe that we'll end up in the SEC, I've heard about our flirtations with the SEC for years, and I'm betting that's where we land ultimately.

There's also ESPN. Moving to the SEC has to be the path of least resistence, just because ESPN is a big stakeholder in all this GOR stuff. ESPN can broker something with the ACC and spare the schools a lot of legal trouble, FOX can't.

SEC is an equal or better football conference to the Big 10 which happens makes more sense due to geography, historical ties, rivalries and interest, and due to practical concerns given current contractual commitments.
Totally agree with your first paragraph. Having FSU AND Florida on schedule every year would be awesome (and how it should be). I hope you are right that the SEC is open to adding Miami, but it doesn't sound like it from the rumors out there.

My fear is FSU and Clemson go to the SEC (seems likely with neither being in the AAU at this time). Even if Miami gets into the B1G at that point, the odds of the FSU rivalry going part time are actually pretty high. Obviously, geography is not a factor in this realignment to the B1G, but as far as fans are concerned I'd say most enjoy having a rival near to them - ease to go to away games, higher chance of rival fans in daily life, etc. It's just more fun.

Advertisement
I mean...it depends on the year...but the Big 12 is pretty goddamned good in hoops.
So......

Yormark has a B-Ball property that equals/exceeds SEC/B1G already.

Maybe he has a vision whereby he builds the futból side of the house to match B-Ball?

I get it, I'm putting forth some huge IFs, but pairhim with the right backers, and maybe...

🤷‍♂️

Advertisement

Again, I'm not against the SEC. I'm a big fan of the Florida Big 3 being able to play for the war canoe every year.

I just find it hard to imagine a world in which the SEC and/or The Gator allows both Miami and F$U to come into the SEC and turn UiF into the #3 school in its own state...

So......

Yormark has a B-Ball property that equals/exceeds SEC/B1G already.

Maybe he has a vision whereby he builds the futból side of the house to match B-Ball?

I get it, I'm putting forth some huge IFs, but pairhim with the right backers, and maybe...

🤷‍♂️

I would just say this.

The economic realities of how to build a good football program vs. a good basketball program are different. In football, you need a massive stadium. In football, you need 85 scholarships and a 10-person coaching staff (just the on-field guys). In football, you only have a couple of OOC games to bolster your conference payout.

But a good basketball coach (and hoops-minded AD) can really transform a basketball team that only requires an arena, 13 scholarships, 3 or 4 coaches, and a host of possible high-profile early-season games and tournaments.

Case in point: Gonzaga.

Be honest, when you were an undergrad, could you even identify Gonzaga or where it was located?

Now they are a perennial lock for the NCAA Tournament. Besides the COVID year cancellation, the last time Gonzaga MISSED March Madness was 1998.

I would just say this.

The economic realities of how to build a good football program vs. a good basketball program are different. In football, you need a massive stadium. In football, you need 85 scholarships and a 10-person coaching staff (just the on-field guys). In football, you only have a couple of OOC games to bolster your conference payout.

But a good basketball coach (and hoops-minded AD) can really transform a basketball team that only requires an arena, 13 scholarships, 3 or 4 coaches, and a host of possible high-profile early-season games and tournaments.

Case in point: Gonzaga.

Be honest, when you were an undergrad, could you even identify Gonzaga or where it was located?

Now they are a perennial lock for the NCAA Tournament. Besides the COVID year cancellation, the last time Gonzaga MISSED March Madness was 1998.
Point awarded to TOC.

I can't tell you where Gonzaga is now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Holy ****… if that chart of rivalry game viewership is right then no wonder BIG/SEC don’t seem to want us. Our rivalry with FSU is irrelevant and we only appear twice near the bottom of the list. Ouch.
You’re talking about a matchup with a team that has been perpetually 7-5 for 20 years against a team that has had losing seasons 4 out of the last 6 years.

There wouldn’t be much interest for that rivalry until it’s intriguing. (P.S. it will be this season).

It is going to be interesting to read the AMENDED COMPLAINT. The original FSU complaint was 38 pages ... the amended complaint is 139 pages!! It reportedly goes into a lot of detail including Swofford and the negative financial impact TO the conference of inserting Raycom into the 2010 ESPN media deal ... with the only purpose of propping up the failing Raycom.

Haven't been able to read it yet ... just some comments on Warchant from one guy who has. From comments it is well written and potentially deadly for the ACC. It points out clearly that the ESPN media deal existed BEFORE any GOR and cites ESPN media documents that were the binding documents for the ACC and NONE of them required establishing a GOR. It appears that the GOR was a purely fabricated device initiated BY the ACC leadership in an attempt to create a large financial penalty for any school that wanted to leave. The GOR might just have well been written on Charmin!! Paints the ACC leadership as basically orchestrating fraud to keep the conference in tact in order for the leadership to extract exorbitant salaries rather than provide services for the member institutions.
They needed to amend the original Complaint-it was embarrassingly bad and looked like something thrown together by a first-year law student.

I have read the updated version and IF they can prove what they are alleging, it very damning, but as Miami fans, I don’t think any of us are surprised. We have known how dirty Tobacco Road has been. It does make me roll my eyes whenever I see UNC complain though, as if they haven’t benefitted in so many other ways. We all know there must be other back room deals that will never be proven.

They needed to amend the original Complaint-it was embarrassingly bad and looked like something thrown together by a first-year law student.

I have read the updated version and IF they can prove what they are alleging, it very damning, but as Miami fans, I don’t think any of us are surprised. We have known how dirty Tobacco Road has been. It does make me roll my eyes whenever I see UNC complain though, as if they haven’t benefitted in so many other ways. We all know there must be other back room deals that will never be proven.

Look, I'm not gonna hate on the original complaint. Particularly if they were working on it AND THEN found out that the ACC was running to court one day early to claim "first to file".

**** all that. I'm happy that F$U is getting it right, even if it takes a couple of amendments.

Advertisement
Back