MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I said earlier in this thread that Miami doesn’t have a lot a leverage. Sure, they are just recently an AAU member, have a reputable research and hospital system , and in one of the largest TV markets in the country. That being said, Miami’s athletic programs obviously, with the exception of a year or 2 in BB and football in particular - haven’t been very good for over 20 years.

Even if the football team wins 10 or more games this year, will that one year bump be enough to make Miami more attractive to being added to the P2? I believe it’ll take more than a 1 year football bump to convince the P2 to add Miami. The increased monetary focus on the football program, and athletics in general, might increase Miami’s value but they’ll still be playing 2nd fiddle to others such as Clemp$on and FSU.

Advertisement
I said earlier in this thread that Miami doesn’t have a lot a leverage. Sure, they are just recently an AAU member, have a reputable research and hospital system , and in one of the largest TV markets in the country. That being said, Miami’s athletic programs obviously, with the exception of a year or 2 in BB and football in particular - haven’t been very good for over 20 years.

Even if the football team wins 10 or more games this year, will that one year bump be enough to make Miami more attractive to being added to the P2? I believe it’ll take more than a 1 year football bump to convince the P2 to add Miami. The increased monetary focus on the football program, and athletics in general, might increase Miami’s value but they’ll still be playing 2nd fiddle to others such as Clemp$on and FSU.
Networks are also looking at performance ... and I believe it would be viewed as more than a "1 year bump" ... it would be viewed and possible even over sensationalized (queue up Herbstreit) as "The U is Back" to some degree. If Mario wins 10+ games this season, wins the ACC, and lands a top 5 recruiting class, THAT series of accomplishments will be noted. In my opinion.

Not for nothing, but the Cavinder twins returning after the press they got for the 2022 season certainly won't hurt, especially since Caitlyn Clark and Angel Reese no longer in college.

Networks are also looking at performance ... and I believe it would be viewed as more than a "1 year bump" ... it would be viewed and possible even over sensationalized (queue up Herbstreit) as "The U is Back" to some degree. If Mario wins 10+ games this season, wins the ACC, and lands a top 5 recruiting class, THAT series of accomplishments will be noted. In my opinion.
I certainly hope so. The optics of all you mentioned could go a long way in the preferred outcome. Let’s hope we have a great season and the recent upgrades in the overall athletic program coupled with AAU and other things are looked at favorably.

Advertisement
Stanford is the most elite P5 university in terms of academics, so I think would rank much higher on the list than you might expect. From a research perspective, saying a project was sponsored by Stanford carries a lot of credibility, and both staff and students at basically every other college would jump at the chance to partner with Stanford. The B1G academic alliance essentially removes the red tape between B1G schools for joint research. I think the inclusion of Stanford would have little to do with sports and more to do with the academics and research (which in this case would dwarf the football stuff). I could definitely see a conference taking Stanford over a UM or FSU simply because the school presidents want the academic cred.
It's purely a profitability calculation That's what the B1G is now. There is no other criterion.

Not for nothing, but the Cavinder twins returning after the press they got for the 2022 season certainly won't hurt, especially since Caitlyn Clark and Angel Reese no longer in college.
I get your point, but it has absolutely nothing to do with this. They won’t even be here before Miami could even jump.

And for those worrying that one season of Miami doing well won’t matter one way or the other I agree with you but not in the way that you’re thinking of it. The simple fact of the matter is despite Miami sucking for 20 years, we have established our floor on TV ratings and that floor is still higher than almost every school looking for a possible move outside of the few obvious ones and higher than multiple schools in each of the existing conferences. I’m not remotely concerned about that.

It amazes me that any of this is still up for debate.

This is from the Oregon and Washington's announcement back in August.

"Oregon and Washington will receive 50% shares of Big Ten media rights revenue to the tune of $30 million in 2024 with annual $1 million escalators until the completion of its new deal with CBS, Fox and NBC, according to ESPN.

If Oregon and Washington do incur additional travel expenses of up to $10 million each, that would eat into a significant chunk of their payouts, putting their net revenue around $20 million annually. That is essentially the same number presented earlier this week ... by Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff."

"Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State and Utah – starting in 2024, were granted full shares of the Big 12 conference's TV deal".

So even though Oregon and Washington could've gone the "100% shares in the Big 12" route, just like the 4 Pac 12 teams above, they STILL choose the break even route in B1G.

Miami to the Big 12 argument sounds a lot like the "wE sHoUlD kEeP mAnNy" arguments at the end of that **** show. And surprise surprise, its the same posters.

You never know what one bump can lead to

Advertisement
And ... Miami isn't "out of options" as you have pointed out repeatedly ... there is always the B12 …

Many here have characterized joining the Big 12 as a death sentence and we should avoid it at all costs. How can you say that is that a viable option? It’s either SEC or B1G for many. SEC isn’t interested. So that means one option. And also this isn’t the conversation we were having 4 weeks ago. That was just pure speculation. Now Flo is confirming what I thought- we weren't being quiet because Rad was playing 4D chess, it was because we didn't have a spot in the B1G and needed to keep all options open. Now the options look like partial shares in the B1G or full shares in the Big 12. It sounds like the UM brass is seriously considering the Big 12, so I'm guessing the pro/cons they are looking at are the same ones I've described.

When it's full shares vs full shares, B1G is the obvious decision. When it's partial shares vs full shares, it's a tougher decision. You talk about recruiting and perception- when Washington and Oregon got paired up going into the B1G, they both took partial shares so they are in the same boat. If we go in with partial shares and FSU gets full shares, how do you think that perception plays out? FSU is our biggest rival for recruits- you don't think FSU will say that UM is obviously a 2nd tier program as the conference had such a low opinion of us that it didn't give us full shares?

As for the Big12 being a 2nd tier conference, it clearly isn't on the same level right now with the P2. I will however point out something they are doing well. Credit where credit is due. I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the Big 12 commissioner. Everyone said the Big 12 was dead after Oklahoma and Texas announced they were leaving, but somehow he managed to get a massive increase payout from the networks. You can't underestimate elite leadership. Big 12 has all sorts of flexibility- deals with both networks, streaming, etc. that the new commissioner negotiated that the P2 don't have because they are behemoths. If I'm UM, I'd at least hear him out. Maybe he has roadmap to get the Big 12 almost as much money as the B1G- by pulling in the best remaining ACC schools (UM, VT, GT, Louisville, Pitt) and signing streaming deals with Netflix or Amazon to give them exclusive rights to certain games.

Remember that just a few years ago the Pac12 was patting itself on the back, and signed a media deal that paid the Pac12 teams more than the SEC or B1G teams were getting (21 million per team to Pac 12 compared to 18 million of P2)

But like Swofford, the PAC 12 Commissioner was a moron who ended up killing his conference. The Big 12 commish is earning his paycheck. Let's say he sits down with UM and says, "Here's the 5 year plan, with a combination of streaming and network deals, that gets each team in the Big12 nearly as much the P2. You get full shares from the start and will be the golden child for our conference." You'd have to be incredibly myopic not to consider it.

Many here have characterized joining the Big 12 as a death sentence and we should avoid it at all costs. How can you say that is that a viable option? It’s either SEC or B1G for many. SEC isn’t interested. So that means one option. And also this isn’t the conversation we were having 4 weeks ago. That was just pure speculation. Now Flo is confirming what I thought- we weren't being quiet because Rad was playing 4D chess, it was because we didn't have a spot in the B1G and needed to keep all options open. Now the options look like partial shares in the B1G or full shares in the Big 12. It sounds like the UM brass is seriously considering the Big 12, so I'm guessing the pro/cons they are looking at are the same ones I've described.

When it's full shares vs full shares, B1G is the obvious decision. When it's partial shares vs full shares, it's a tougher decision. You talk about recruiting and perception- when Washington and Oregon got paired up going into the B1G, they both took partial shares so they are in the same boat. If we go in with partial shares and FSU gets full shares, how do you think that perception plays out? FSU is our biggest rival for recruits- you don't think FSU will say that UM is obviously a 2nd tier program as the conference had such a low opinion of us that it didn't give us full shares?

As for the Big12 being a 2nd tier conference, it clearly isn't on the same level right now with the P2. I will however point out something they are doing well. Credit where credit is due. I have to say I'm extremely impressed with the Big 12 commissioner. Everyone said the Big 12 was dead after Oklahoma and Texas announced they were leaving, but somehow he managed to get a massive increase payout from the networks. You can't underestimate elite leadership. Big 12 has all sorts of flexibility- deals with both networks, streaming, etc. that the new commissioner negotiated that the P2 don't have because they are behemoths. If I'm UM, I'd at least hear him out. Maybe he has roadmap to get the Big 12 almost as much money as the B1G- by pulling in the best remaining ACC schools (UM, VT, GT, Louisville, Pitt) and signing streaming deals with Netflix or Amazon to give them exclusive rights to certain games.

Remember that just a few years ago the Pac12 was patting itself on the back, and signed a media deal that paid the Pac12 teams more than the SEC or B1G teams were getting (21 million per team to Pac 12 compared to 18 million of P2)

But like Swofford, the PAC 12 Commissioner was a moron who ended up killing his conference. The Big 12 commish is earning his paycheck. Let's say he sits down with UM and says, "Here's the 5 year plan, with a combination of streaming and network deals, that gets each team in the Big12 nearly as much the P2. You get full shares from the start and will be the golden child for our conference." You'd have to be incredibly myopic not to consider it.

Don't agree with a good bit of it, but thumbs up for a well-written post.

I don't think "FSU to the B1G" is any more legit than the "Miami and Clemson are tied together" posts a few hundred pages ago. Any such chatter leaking from FSU's decision-makers is just posturing to help loosen the chains.

Brett Yormark has done a fine job as the Big XII commissioner, but is it possible you're overestimating his clout in a world run by the SEC/B1G cartel? It was a month or two ago that the Big XII walked away with an even smaller CFP per school share than the P2 conferences doled out to Jim Phillips and his crumbling ACC.

Us fans keep wanting realignment to happen "NOW!" to relieve anxiety and prove we knew more than the next guy.

But it's like when we were kids:

"Grandma, when's that cake gonna be ready."

"It'll be ready when it's ready baby."

We just have to patient and let the process run its course

Half share in the B10 in 2016 will be approximately $45 M based on their new 7 year deal that begins this year. Plus $22M per school in CFP money. Total 67M. The B12 might be close to $50 M per school with their new contract + $12 M per school in CFP payout. Total $ 62 M. The number Flo through out was 50% share for Miami - maybe for 3 years. If that can be negotiated it is a no brainer.

I get your point, but it has absolutely nothing to do with this. They won’t even be here before Miami could even jump.

And for those worrying that one season of Miami doing well won’t matter one way or the other I agree with you but not in the way that you’re thinking of it. The simple fact of the matter is despite Miami sucking for 20 years, we have established our floor on TV ratings and that floor is still higher than almost every school looking for a possible move outside of the few obvious ones and higher than multiple schools in each of the existing conferences. I’m not remotely concerned about that.
Good PR is good PR. Anything that puts more eyes on Miami makes it more valuable. Especially if that good PR leads to success.

Advertisement

I think it is a lot easier to sell recruits on the fact that the U has been down for some time so we had to take less money to get into the P2 but once we are in all that matters is what happens on the field and you can be a part of getting us back to the glory days. That’s a lot better than all the top recruits are going to the national stage to play each other while you get to play a bunch of 3 stars at former G5 schools but hey at least the conference monetarily valued us properly…

As long as we can prove to recruits and parents that we have the funds to compete (I.e, hospital funds and donors) they will only care that they are playing at the national stage with the best chance to go to the league

Don't agree with a good bit of it, but thumbs up for a well-written post.

I don't think "FSU to the B1G" is any more legit than the "Miami and Clemson are tied together" posts a few hundred pages ago. Any such chatter leaking from FSU's decision-makers is just posturing to help loosen the chains.

Brett Yormark has done a fine job as the Big XII commissioner, but is it possible you're overestimating his clout in a world run by the SEC/B1G cartel? It was a month or two ago that the Big XII walked away with an even smaller CFP per school share than the P2 conferences doled out to Jim Phillips and his crumbling ACC.

Us fans keep wanting realignment to happen "NOW!" to relieve anxiety and prove we knew more than the next guy.

But it's like when we were kids:

"Grandma, when's that cake gonna be ready."

"It'll be ready when it's ready baby."

We just have to patient and let the process run its course
To be fair, many people recognize this could be detrimental for the program and university if we are left out of the new P2. In this case, I sympathize for the high anxiety levels.

To be fair, many people recognize this could be detrimental for the program and university if we are left out of the new P2. In this case, I sympathize for the high anxiety levels.

Absolutely ... but there's nothing we can do from the cheap seats to speed up (or even shine light) on the process

Advertisement
You guys should listen to @DMoney podcast today. Idk how credible that guy Seth is but it’s interesting perspective on conference realignment.

Yes- so if UNC and Clemson go SEC, and FSU and ND go B1G, and nearly all the ACC's biggest revenue generators leave, what leverage does Miami have to demand even 50% for the B1G? No one disputes that the SEC is uninterested in UM, so we only have one dance partner compared to the other schools that are wanted by both P2. Again, before everyone gets butthurt and says I'm a traitor who thinks UM has no value- this is simply a question of negotiating leverage.
I’ve disputed that this entire thread and always maintained that we’ll end up in the SEC.

Carry on.

Somebody posted on the Warchant realignment thread that he has a friend who has reliable information from a contact who has a solid rep that Miami has an invite from both the SEC and B10 if the ACC implodes. That is a new one - stuff is all over the spectrum of possibilities.

Advertisement
Back