MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Good post. The thing that worries me greatly , maybe more so than it does others, is that as you say , a lot of this is out of our hands. You seem to agree that UMs fate depends on the conferences getting (or not getting) certain teams. It doesn’t look like we are in the B1Gs top 2 and probably not on the SECs list at all (though I hope I am wrong).

Again I’m not saying UM is an unattractive program, just that we have to wait and hope that the SEC takes certain teams off the table for the B1G. There is a real possibility that we’re going to be stuck in the ACC or the slightly better option of the Big 12 if we don’t catch some breaks.
If the SEC stays at 16 ... we're screwed. LONG TERM ... I believe that both B10 and SEC end up at 24 and they add the cream of the ACC and a couple from the B12 (Utah?). UM screwed the pooch by being irrelevant ... in the ACC for so long ... let alone the national picture. Winning the ACC this year would be beneficial in confirming that Miami is investing and the investment is bearing fruit. Might help get us into the P2 a year after FSU. Hope that Donna's B10 relationship carries some weight.

Advertisement
They BETTER have a deal in hand from one of the P2 - and for a full share. If not, things could get really ugly in Trailerhassee.

Coach Norvell will be running like Forrest Gump to the bank on payday to make sure the check doesn't bounce.

Running Man Abandon Thread GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah there is a 0.00% chance they’re doing what they’re doing without a definitive landing spot.

Yeah there is a 0.00% chance they’re doing what they’re doing without a definitive landing spot.
They have a spot in the Big 10 for sure ... if they want it or can get there easier than the SEC. From all that I have read on multiple sites it "seems" that this horse trading has already been completed by ESPN / FOX as part of the CFP negotiating process. Going to be interesting to see what, if anything, unfolds prior to the July 1 date that Cal / Stan / SMU join the ACC. Apparently Stanford is begging the B10 to let them in at a very minuscule % share due to the rumors that the ACC is being weakened or might even implode.

They want the Big 10 and likely have the ability to dictate some terms. I hope our braintrust is playing their hand correctly. Clemson gives the Big 10 very little. Florida State and Miami together give the Big 10 much more, less individually. I hope we are willing to make the commitment to athletics that will be required to join the Big 10 or SEC. I assume they would need to add around 3 more sports and I don’t know how they would do that with existing constraints. The low hanging fruit would likely be mens swimming and golf, and maybe fencing on the ladies side.

Advertisement
Do we have $300 million EARMARKED for a buyout yet?
Shouldn't be anywhere near that amount.

-The ACC exit fee is stated as $130-140 M ... and that should be negotiable as it is VERY HIGH and unwarranted.
-The media contract only goes through the 2026 season and the GOR was established TO SUPPORT the ESPN
media agreement.

ALSO there appears to be significant conflict over WHAT THE GOR actually restricts as far a future media rights ... as it is tied TO
the ESPN media agreement ... and reportedly the ESPN media agreement states that the GOR is in effect ONLY AS LONG AS
A SCHOOL IS A CONFERENCE MEMBER. That is the position that Clemson is taking in their law suit ... "we leave we leave with our
FUTURE media rights in our possession". IF THAT IS CORRECT, then the ONLY cost of leaving the ACC will be whatever ACC exit
fee is negotiated .... the high side of that has been stated BY the ACC to be $140M.

Last edited:
They want the Big 10 and likely have the ability to dictate some terms. I hope our braintrust is playing their hand correctly. Clemson gives the Big 10 very little. Florida State and Miami together give the Big 10 much more, less individually. I hope we are willing to make the commitment to athletics that will be required to join the Big 10 or SEC. I assume they would need to add around 3 more sports and I don’t know how they would do that with existing constraints. The low hanging fruit would likely be mens swimming and golf, and maybe fencing on the ladies side.
Clemson gives carriage fees for SC and they have very high viewership numbers ... and that is what is driving realignment ... media $$$. One analyst stated that in HIS opinion it didn't make sense to add more than 1 school from a state as it wouldn't bring incremental carriage fees. For the "next round" his recommendation was 1 school per state, and add more states to get those carriage fees. So many variables currently. If the ACC implodes it could accelerate the expansion so both P2 conferences move to 24 each, with several of the new additions getting partial media payout until the next media contract. Some say the SEC will stay at 16 ... others say they will stay at 16 "until they don't".

One of the issues is also the ability to PAY PLAYERS as the P2 are most likely both going to "salaried players" within 2-3 years and that is a major budgetary item.

Lot of change taking place in a variety of facets of this sport environment.

So the $700M was just POSTURING?

It’s no longer a question of $$$ being punitive BUT RATHER whether there’s an INVITE? FSU and Clemson must have the INVITE then. Which makes me think B1G. **** that can’t be good.

Advertisement
So the $700M was just POSTURING?

It’s no longer a question of $$$ being punitive BUT RATHER whether there’s an INVITE? FSU and Clemson must have the INVITE then. Which makes me think B1G. **** that can’t be good.
The ACC has been anywhere from "misrepresenting" to "flat out lying" regarding several topics.

1. The current ESPN media agreement goes through June 30, 2027 (through the 2026 season) and NOT until 2036.
2. The media agreement was signed and committed to ... before the GOR document was presented by the ACC ... and
no additional consideration was received BY THE MEMBERS for signing the GOR. Should not be valid.
3. REPORTEDLY ... by comments from both Clemson and FSU ... the ESPN media agreement (that is under lock and key at ACC HQ)
states clearly that the GOR is effective ONLY WHILE A SCHOOL IS A CONFERENCE MEMBER. Meaning, any school that leaves
the ACC leaves WITH their future media rights.
4. ESPN had an option to extend the media agreement from 2027 to 2036 ... that option expired in January 2021 and ESPN did not
exercise the option. Don't believe the ACC president advised the members. Phillips unilaterally granted ESPN an extension on that
option in August 2021, and that option must be exercised by 2/25. HOWEVER since that option was granted without the required 2/3
member approval, it is likely that it is VOID. It is also likely that ESPN will not exercise the option ... as they didn't in 2021 ... and the ACC
will be less attractive without FSU / Clemson and will not warrant the current media payout.

Clemson modified their suit earlier this week ... they are now requesting DAMAGES from the ACC. They want to leave with no cost and be paid damages as well.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

"Which ACC teams will be part of the Super League? We will only have 32 teams within three years. — Ursula D.

Clemson, the league’s best football power of the last decade, has to be in. Same for Florida State, with its historic and recent football success. Then there’s North Carolina, which has the most attractive national brand in the ACC and — maybe more importantly — would give this hypothetical Super League a footing in a state in which it currently does not.

And I’m just gonna say those three. Controversial? Maybe. But if FSU and Florida are already both in, what incentive does the Super League have to add a third (private) program from the same state? One that hasn’t in any way matched the level of success of the other two in the last two decades? You’ve also got to figure that the SEC and Big Ten are contributing anywhere from 20 to 30 of those teams, so there’s only so much room. — Marks"

-----------

57dcd328-eb8c-4e92-8df0-2dca05c26417_text.gif

"Which ACC teams will be part of the Super League? We will only have 32 teams within three years. — Ursula D.

Clemson, the league’s best football power of the last decade, has to be in. Same for Florida State, with its historic and recent football success. Then there’s North Carolina, which has the most attractive national brand in the ACC and — maybe more importantly — would give this hypothetical Super League a footing in a state in which it currently does not.

And I’m just gonna say those three. Controversial? Maybe. But if FSU and Florida are already both in, what incentive does the Super League have to add a third (private) program from the same state? One that hasn’t in any way matched the level of success of the other two in the last two decades? You’ve also got to figure that the SEC and Big Ten are contributing anywhere from 20 to 30 of those teams, so there’s only so much room. — Marks"

-----------

"Super league" with 32 teams? That's a new one. Believe the next plateau is the B10 and SEC both at 22 - 24 each. Run that for a few years and see what the next iteration is.

-----------

There needs to be a 🖕🏼added to the reaction options at this point @Andrew

Advertisement
Back