MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

...the ACC wins in court?
...FSU and Clemson end up with no invites?
...the 2024 schedules get cancelations?
...neither the Big or SEC want more teams?
...our recent history leaves us off anyone's desirable list? ( we have been insignificant for 20 plus years).

Personally I don't like what is happening to college football. Oklahoma and Nebraska started this fiasco and now butt hurt fsu is expanding it. I am happy with being in the ACC for all our sports. If you boil it down the bottom line is not the fan, not the students, but just about the MONEY! Face it, no matter if it is SEC or B1G we will be the smaller fish in a B1G pond (or SEC pond)!

Fun Reaction GIF by CRNA School Prep Academy

Advertisement
I'm surprised the SEC sees UNC/UVA as a bigger prize than completely locking up Florida and risking allowing the B1G to infiltrate Florida.

If the B1G gets FSU AND UM, not only do they have 2 of the 3 premier programs in the state, they also own the biggest rivalry in the state. I'm surprised the SEC is willing to take that risk.
Carriage fees for two additional states. SEC already has inroads to South Florida recruiting. Miami and really FSU don't really add much to the conference. But FSU / Clemson retains eyeballs for ESPN.

What about recruiting?? How many elite top 200 type kids are going to want to play outside of the P2? Good luck with that.

As I said weeks after USC announced B10 (go back and read early posts in this thread), if you are outside of P2 you are irrelevant and an afterthought. There is no in plan B or other options.
That's the main issue. I think financially Miami would figure it out in the Big 12. But elite recruits will want to go to the P2. So @Handsome Squidbum I think your logic makes total sense, but I think it would be the death to Miami's future goal of being elite again.

Advertisement
we need a recap post every 10 pages or so to catch people up. Like they do when you binge watch a series or something. What’s the latest?

That's the main issue. I think financially Miami would figure it out in the Big 12. But elite recruits will want to go to the P2. So @Handsome Squidbum I think your logic makes total sense, but I think it would be the death to Miami's future goal of being elite again.
Not only will the elite 4-5 star recruits head almost exclusively to P2 programs but the "other conferences" will amount to nothing more than feeder programs TO the P2 with their top developmental players leaving via the transfer portal once they have "proven" their skill sets to be above average. From 26 on chances of any national champion winner being outside of the P2 will be virtually 0 due to the talent differential.

1. Not trolling
2. Big 12 is not going to locked out of playoffs. In a 14 team expanded playoff, the football crazy big 12 isn't going to be left out.
3. You should read what I wrote instead of just shaking with anger when you see someone hold a contrary opinion to yours. The main reason I think the Big 12 is currently the more viable option is that ESPN owns 60% of the media rights. The B1G is clearly a much better long term option, but the media rights deal is what it is. I'm not pinning all our hopes on fsu winning a lawsuit and outsourcing our destiny to the Seminoles. It looks like your plan is to cross your fingers and hope FSU wins its case, then maybe we can start the process of trying to find other teams that will vote to end the acc, and then hope to get a spot in the P2. That's a lot of hoping and not a lot of concrete action. Hope is not a course of action.

Big 12 has basically an identical GOR, but espn paid the conference to move Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC. That's something we can control. Espn is probably going to pay to move Clemson and FSU to the SEC. They aren't taking us along with them. We could try to get the same deal to go to the Big 12. I think that's better than staying in the ACC. Saying the big 12 is a better option than the acc is not trolling.
Going to the Big 12 or staying in the ACC is a slow death sentence for Miami football

Advertisement
If I might give it a try...

Porster 1: My good man, it appears some ruffians are about and trying to poach a team or two into their conferences.

Porster 2: Those souless cads! Well surely Miami is a much sought after prize and will most certainly be given an honored seat at the head table in a new home.

Porster 1: Perhaps yes, I'm hearing FSU will be pursuing their rights through barristers in a courts of law proceeding!

Porster 2: Hear! hear! It is about time those scoundrels at the ACC feel the cold steel of the dagger of justice plunged into their vile soft white underbelly!

Porster 1: I still feel good about Miami's invitation to the Grand Ball hosted by the BIG10, but perhaps their wandering eye seeks other paramours?

Porster 2: How dare you Sir! Miami is home to 5 National Championships, Butch DAW GAWD, an NFL Professional Stadium w/ super cool in-game DJ, surrounded by ELITE SoFL talent, and the world's LARGEST media/influencer market evah!

Porster 1: I'm not so sure about all of those, but I do see your point.

Porster 2: Look you soft *** Genetics-loving cuck, Miami is EVERYONE's #1 target!!

Porster 1: Hey man, I think I need you to calm down.

Poster 2: I'll ******* kill you and your entire village you **********.

Porster 3: Hey guys, Miami stinks, we are too small a school, our fans suck, no on-campus stadium, and we haven't won **** in the ACC...we just lost to RUTGERS!

Porster 1 + Porster 2: Shut your FSU-loving **** holster you beta mope!

...You get the idea...
Checks out.

Still believe UM is B10 bound. Period.

Thats my hope, but I think you are vastly underestimating the strength of Disney's position. They have barely lifted a finger so far in the litigation besides accusing FSU of committing a felony for trying to publish trade secrets, probably because they know the purpose of the lawsuits is to get the acc to settle.

You have competing lawsuits in different states, my guess is they end up with exactly opposite results, then it goes to more litigation. All parties know this, so I expect a settlement soon. FSU + Clemson go to the SEC. That ends the chance of getting out of the acc via a court declaring the GOR void.

So then we try to go to dissolution, but with FSU and Clemson out, it will be tough to get a majority. The worst case scenario is if UNC and NC St get invites to the SEC as well, and espn pays their way like it did for Texas/Oklahoma . We can't block the move. And if the Carolina schools leave, we have no shot at dissolving the conference.

At that point our only hope is that espn declines to pick up the option and then that ends the GOR, and we can walk.

But what happens if the majority of the remaining teams ( plus some possible new additions) tell ESPN "We'll agree to take a haircut if you extend the deal." We don't have the votes to block it. Again, we are putting our fate in the hands of the other acc teams. I don't like sitting back and hope others with different interests solve our problems.

The B1G is the grand prize, but so many things have to fall in line for that to happen that it's like putting all your life savings into lottery tickets. If you are managing risk, then you have to ask, is it better to push espn to let us join the big 12 now with full shares , or do we stay in the acc and put our life savings in a lottery ticket- hoping that espn doesn't pick up the option, other acc teams don't make a deal behind our backs locking us into the acc, and the B1G extends an invitation with full shares? Everyone has a different tolerance for risk. Mine just happens to be very low.

Thats my hope, but I think you are vastly underestimating the strength of Disney's position. They have barely lifted a finger so far in the litigation besides accusing FSU of committing a felony for trying to publish trade secrets, probably because they know the purpose of the lawsuits is to get the acc to settle.

You have competing lawsuits in different states, my guess is they end up with exactly opposite results, then it goes to more litigation. All parties know this, so I expect a settlement soon. FSU + Clemson go to the SEC. That ends the chance of getting out of the acc via a court declaring the GOR void.

So then we try to go to dissolution, but with FSU and Clemson out, it will be tough to get a majority. The worst case scenario is if UNC and NC St get invites to the SEC as well, and espn pays their way like it did for Texas/Oklahoma . We can't block the move. And if the Carolina schools leave, we have no shot at dissolving the conference.

At that point our only hope is that espn declines to pick up the option and then that ends the GOR, and we can walk.

But what happens if the majority of the remaining teams ( plus some possible new additions) tell ESPN "We'll agree to take a haircut if you extend the deal." We don't have the votes to block it. Again, we are putting our fate in the hands of the other acc teams. I don't like sitting back and hope others with different interests solve our problems.

The B1G is the grand prize, but so many things have to fall in line for that to happen that it's like putting all your life savings into lottery tickets. If you are managing risk, then you have to ask, is it better to push espn to let us join the big 12 now with full shares , or do we stay in the acc and put our life savings in a lottery ticket- hoping that espn doesn't pick up the option, other acc teams don't make a deal behind our backs locking us into the acc, and the B1G extends an invitation with full shares? Everyone has a different tolerance for risk. Mine just happens to be very low.
I just believe that there has been some degree of horse trading going on between FOX / ESPN intermingling realignment and CFP. The SEC might get some teams "directed" to them ... but so will the B10. The media "partners" are working together to a degree. I believe. B10 it is.

Advertisement
I just believe that there has been some degree of horse trading going on between FOX / ESPN intermingling realignment and CFP. The SEC might get some teams "directed" to them ... but so will the B10. The media "partners" are working together to a degree. I believe. B10 it is.
You legally can’t do that dude in the way you’re implying.

Advertisement
SEC:

SEC/ESPN + B1G/FOX are aligned as opposed to working against one another
  • ESPN and FOX created a mutually beneficial partnership with The Rock on the UFL
  • ESPN bought the entire CFP media rights for $1.3B annually, an agreement that includes the right to sublicense games to other networks (a tactic that prevented a potential bidding war between ESPN and FOX (and perhaps NBC, CBS and others). That CFP leadership signed off on this kind of arrangement — as opposed to each network having to negotiate directly with the CFP for a piece of the action — is a pretty good indicator of how of how the two most powerful conferences and their biggest media partners are working together

Last edited:
If I might give it a try...

Porster 1: My good man, it appears some ruffians are about and trying to poach a team or two into their conferences.

Porster 2: Those souless cads! Well surely Miami is a much sought after prize and will most certainly be given an honored seat at the head table in a new home.

Porster 1: Perhaps yes, I'm hearing FSU will be pursuing their rights through barristers in a courts of law proceeding!

Porster 2: Hear! hear! It is about time those scoundrels at the ACC feel the cold steel of the dagger of justice plunged into their vile soft white underbelly!

Porster 1: I still feel good about Miami's invitation to the Grand Ball hosted by the BIG10, but perhaps their wandering eye seeks other paramours?

Porster 2: How dare you Sir! Miami is home to 5 National Championships, Butch DAW GAWD, an NFL Professional Stadium w/ super cool in-game DJ, surrounded by ELITE SoFL talent, and the world's LARGEST media/influencer market evah!

Porster 1: I'm not so sure about all of those, but I do see your point.

Porster 2: Look you soft *** Genetics-loving cuck, Miami is EVERYONE's #1 target!!

Porster 1: Hey man, I think I need you to calm down.

Poster 2: I'll ******* kill you and your entire village you **********.

Porster 3: Hey guys, Miami stinks, we are too small a school, our fans suck, no on-campus stadium, and we haven't won **** in the ACC...we just lost to RUTGERS!

Porster 1 + Porster 2: Shut your FSU-loving **** holster you beta mope!

...You get the idea...
Basically Porster 2 was TheOriginalCane

Advertisement
Back