MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Why would Miami willingly take tens of millions of dollars in revenue loss year to year compared to our biggest competitors, with the hope of being the equivalent of six years late to the party? You take the revenue loss now to get into the conference that’ll give you major long term gains.

Also, why is it always the worst case scenario with us? If we’re not getting into the P2, does that mean you believe that only FSU and Clemson are getting taken in the next round of expansion? Because our metrics are better than any other team that’s not them.
Agree there is going to be some SEC and some B10 activity. SEC in my opinion doesn't count for UM directly, indirectly it takes programs that compete with us for a B10 slot. Clemson and UNC to the SEC, then Miami and FSU to the B10. FSU & Clemson to the SEC? Then Miami + 1 to the B10. ND staying independent for a few more years is also a + for us in the current situation. Miami NEEDS to win the ACC this year.

Advertisement
1. Not trolling
2. Big 12 is not going to locked out of playoffs. In a 14 team expanded playoff, the football crazy big 12 isn't going to be left out.
3. You should read what I wrote instead of just shaking with anger when you see someone hold a contrary opinion to yours. The main reason I think the Big 12 is currently the more viable option is that ESPN owns 60% of the media rights. The B1G is clearly a much better long term option, but the media rights deal is what it is. I'm not pinning all our hopes on fsu winning a lawsuit and outsourcing our destiny to the Seminoles. It looks like your plan is to cross your fingers and hope FSU wins its case, then maybe we can start the process of trying to find other teams that will vote to end the acc, and then hope to get a spot in the P2. That's a lot of hoping and not a lot of concrete action. Hope is not a course of action.

Big 12 has basically an identical GOR, but espn paid the conference to move Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC. That's something we can control. Espn is probably going to pay to move Clemson and FSU to the SEC. They aren't taking us along with them. We could try to get the same deal to go to the Big 12. I think that's better than staying in the ACC. Saying the big 12 is a better option than the acc is not trolling.
You are dead wrong on #2

SEC/B1G are eventually becoming the NFC and AFC with the playoffs within themselves and a Super Bowl/Champion. That is the direction all of this is headed and it is already being discussed. I don't know how you are missing all of that!

Other than that, anyone who uses that flag and names themself handsome squidbum must be a troll!

Agree there is going to be some SEC and some B10 activity. SEC in my opinion doesn't count for UM directly, indirectly it takes programs that compete with us for a B10 slot. Clemson and UNC to the SEC, then Miami and FSU to the B10. FSU & Clemson to the SEC? Then Miami + 1 to the B10. ND staying independent for a few more years is also a + for us in the current situation. Miami NEEDS to win the ACC this year.
It just blows my mind that anyone thinks the Big 12 is an option. It’s a death sentence.

It just blows my mind that anyone thinks the Big 12 is an option. It’s a death sentence.
Going forward after this next "realignment" wave, there will be a P2, nationally broadcast games that draw national viewers, and there will be "the other" conferences that will provide filler on a regional basis basically, and will have very limited audiences. Even starting in 2024 the B10 is introducing "Friday Night Football" and will have at least 9 major B10 matchups for national broadcasts. It hasn't even begun yet. By 2026 the viewing landscape will be significantly altered.

If FSU leaves, is our only hope for B10 a dance PARTNER with ND? We aren’t worthy on our OWN?
greece looks GIF

Advertisement
Legally? Come on, everything has been discussed by FOX and ESPN as part of the CFP negotiations. Also, going forward, I believe you have to look at the "ACC Bylaws" as almost fictional documents that neither FSU or Clemson will pay much attention to since a). The ACC has had NO issue acting on multiple occasions as thought the bylaws didn't exist b). The schools were ruled NOT to have any fiduciary responsibility to the conference or members.

Right now the ACC and FSU / Clemson are in a staring match. ESPN wants NOTHING to do with the suits going forward as they don't want the highly secret ESPN media agreement to be bared to all via discovery. We are entering uncharted waters, with ****ed off universities who have been lied to, had pertinent facts hidden from them, had the ACC act illegally without adhering to bylaws , and a ****ed off ESPN that didn't want the 3 schools added, and seems to be at a point where keeping the ACC media agreement alive, just is no longer worth the effort, cost, and distraction.

Right now they are running BIG events ... The Masters. The SECN. Enhancing the SECN by adding a couple of key ACC programs, and letting the ACC go, would likely be very attractive and is something I believe they are getting ready to do if the ACC doesn't "settle" soon with FSU & Clemson. All very entertaining for sure.
K

Advertisement
If FSU and Clemson go to SEC, Miami will end up in B1G. No doubt.
The question would be “when”. And as someone mentioned earlier, there will be no rush to add teams after this inital wave happens.

If ESPN allows ACC to stay on the ventilator by still opting into extension once the first 2 leave, Miami will likely be waiting a hot minute before they can get out and go to B1G. I’m thinking at least 2030 if not later, but they will eventually get out.
If ESPN lets ACC die by not opting into the extension, than Miami has great shot of going to B1G in a couple years on a partial share and hopefully becoming full in the next 6-10 years.

It was an interesting "what if":

-ESPN is supposedly offering to take FSU / Clemson to the SEC for half shares initially, gradually increasing to full shares some
years down the road.
-ESPN would essentially sub lease the media rights from the ACC.
-If the ACC / Clemson / FSU agree ... then ESPN would extend the media agreement for the rest of the ACC members through 2036,
but would negotiate a new media payout to reflect the loss of FSU / Clemson viewership $$$ value.
-IF the deal is not accepted then ESPN would not extend the media deal, it ends after the 2026 season, the prime brands in the ACC would
migrate to the P2, if they have offers, others would leave for the B12, and whoever remains would then be forced with looking for a new
media deal.

That is the BAD thing about not being actively involved in a suit against the ACC ... a "deal" could be cut that makes getting out harder for those that aren't involved in the "new deal". Very few people know what is actually going on ... but it is not status quo.
HOWEVER, Why would FSU/Clemson accept that negotiation, if ESPN would not pick up the contract past 2026 and the GOR would thus be dead? lol. Like in this scenario FSU/Clemson would be working against themselves to agree to a negotiated deal that is anything like he is suggesting. If they refused to negotiate and ESPN didn't pick up the deal and the GOR died for 2027 season, FSU/Clemson could immediatley get 100% shares in SEC/B10 from 2027-2036. That's MUCH better than whatever negotiated agreement they'd be in. Taking $0 for 2025 and 2026 is better than that.

If the B1G doesn't extend an invite (say it gets ND + FSU and says it is done expanding for now), then joining the Big 12 would be making the best out of a terrible situation. It's a desperation option similar to what Stanford had to take- Join a conference across the country or get hung out to dry like Oregon State.

Look at the discussion from even the optimists-- if the SEC takes certain teams, and the B1G doesn't take certain teams, or vice versa, then maybe we become the partner for another team joining the B1G. Thats pinning the hopes of the program on things completely out of our control.

I never said I would prefer it over the P2, just that it's better than the alternative. You have a lot more confidence in the UM admin than I do. I've seen nothing but incompetence from them for almost two decades, and so far they haven't given me a good reason to change my opinion.

Are you sure Miami would be required to sign off? The GOR is already signed, that required unanimous signoff but they already have that through the term. I'm not sure if signing a revised media agreement with ESPN would require unanimous consent or just a 3/4 majority, or half.... I'm not familiar enough with the ACC bylaws to know that for sure.

But who's to say if every ACC member except UNC and Miami vote to approve the deal, that it wouldn't go in to effect anyway?

Miami needs to tread carefully.
1712956325501.png

From ACC Bylaws

Advertisement
If the B1G doesn't extend an invite (say it gets ND + FSU and says it is done expanding for now), then joining the Big 12 would be making the best out of a terrible situation. It's a desperation option similar to what Stanford had to take- Join a conference across the country or get hung out to dry like Oregon State.

Look at the discussion from even the optimists-- if the SEC takes certain teams, and the B1G doesn't take certain teams, or vice versa, then maybe we become the partner for another team joining the B1G. Thats pinning the hopes of the program on things completely out of our control.

I never said I would prefer it over the P2, just that it's better than the alternative. You have a lot more confidence in the UM admin than I do. I've seen nothing but incompetence from them for almost two decades, and so far they haven't given me a good reason to change my opinion.
It’s not overly optimistic to think we’re heading to the P2, especially with the metrics we offer (and even better when we’re successful). This isn’t to say it’s a guarantee, just that we’re a better option than most give us credit for. Also, If we’re not attractive, then that means nobody but FSU, Clemson, or ND is. Also most of conference realignment is out of a team’s control.

Going to Big 12 = death of program. It’s a gun to the head. If you make that choice the game’s over, that’s it. You’re relegated to Tier 2 Status and recruiting craters. Also, even if you think we get into the P2 in the next contract, we’d have even less leverage than now, and they’ll give you maybe a 50% share for the whole contract. The only benefit of going to the Big 12 is at least we get to be the ones to pull the trigger and end it. Either way, program’s dead in that scenario.

If FSU leaves, is our only hope for B10 a dance PARTNER with ND? We aren’t worthy on our OWN?
It’s a bold move to think we need a travel partner. The reality is that we don’t, it’s just more of a 1-2 punch if it’s us and one of our rivals. There’s a world where Clemson and FSU go to the SEC and we go to the Big

Advertisement
For actual attorneys out there familiar with the composition clause. One "scenario" that is being put forth as a possibility, by one guy that has actual media contacts, is that ESPN will crater the ACC media deal. Over. In that case we don’t want to end up with an ACC panic media deal. Independent for 2924 while we finalize a B10 deal? Options?

Look at the flag a little closer.
I know you have ****** on it. You are still using the same demeaning flag to put ****** on it in the first place. On top of it named yourself handsome squidbum. It is very trollish because obviously there is nothing handsome about it. All I am saying.

Look man, I think you have trained yourself to expect the worst and so have a lot of Miami fans. I can understand always preparing yourself for the worst as a fellow Canes fan the way things have gone over the past 20+ years. I think you are reading the tea leaves incorrectly. I believe the B1G is smart enough to know the name of the coach that built up Oregon and how Miami is now invested. I am sure they know that sooner or later great recruiting overcomes bad game day coaching. The B1G knows what type of ratings an improved Miami team gets while renewing some old rivalries. They also know more premier matchups means higher ratings. We are still the 4th best TV market of the teams that WILL be leaving the ACC and you can bet the SEC is getting their share of the 4. The B1G will still have 2 spots and Miami ideally fits very well in the B1G

Last edited:
Going forward after this next "realignment" wave, there will be a P2, nationally broadcast games that draw national viewers, and there will be "the other" conferences that will provide filler on a regional basis basically, and will have very limited audiences. Even starting in 2024 the B10 is introducing "Friday Night Football" and will have at least 9 major B10 matchups for national broadcasts. It hasn't even begun yet. By 2026 the viewing landscape will be significantly altered.

Sadly...yes.

Getting into the P2 is an existential issue. I don't want to hear another god**** word about the Big 12.

Advertisement
Back