MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Your mileage my vary...

Screenshot_20231224_160303_X.jpg

IYjiXRV622OBO.gif

Advertisement
That post of his is extremely accurate in terms of the history of the tv deals.

he‘s not wrong in terms of FSU and tv ratings in the period. miami is still good ratings wise despite a 20 year period of sucking. The brand is that good. It’s not that fsu draws better all things being equal. The previous 20 years show different. Miami just needs to do its part. 2017 ND VT games show it. That’s what FOX will be betting on if this all comes to pass and Miami is part of B1G

I still haven’t found one personal contact or trusted reporter who had any idea of the 2027 ESPN opt out. Or knew that Jim Phillips ( not mentioned in the above) violated league bylaws in nit putting the delay to exercise the option to a vote. Or anyone who gets how the ACC. Can get away thinking they are the NSA around the media agreement secrecy level.

Advertisement
On topic, if not about the more recent past than the future, but the story about UW getting into the Big Ten last year is pretty well reported and not behind a pay wall

he‘s not wrong in terms of FSU and tv ratings in the period. miami is still good ratings wise despite a 20 year period of sucking. The brand is that good. It’s not that fsu draws better all things being equal. The previous 20 years show different. Miami just needs to do its part. 2017 ND VT games show it. That’s what FOX will be betting on if this all comes to pass and Miami is part of B1G

I still haven’t found one personal contact or trusted reporter who had any idea of the 2027 ESPN opt out. Or knew that Jim Phillips ( not mentioned in the above) violated league bylaws in nit putting the delay to exercise the option to a vote. Or anyone who gets how the ACC. Can get away thinking they are the NSA around the media agreement secrecy level.
Is there really smoke to this 2027 "thing" or fool's gold?

@TheOriginalCane @Wake_Cane

This guy (minus TJ) thematically, I believe, is saying what ya'll have been saying previously...👇👇👇

Advertisement

If this is all accurate, the ACC is clearly trying to keep lawyers from getting their hands on things because they know there are major issues if Phillips violated league bylaws.

I think Skipper's been on Fat Lebatard and has said the deal is extremely sided to ESPN. He brokered that deal and knows the ins and outs.

I think Skipper's been on Fat Lebatard and has said the deal is extremely sided to ESPN. He brokered that deal and knows the ins and outs.
Yeah, He is Traitor LeBastard's Boss (Meadowlark Media) and as in introduced by chubby as "The man who has made all the billion dollar deals" Yeah, Eight Ball Skipper snickered about his pulling the wool over "friend" Swofford. I'm sure they (Swofford/Skipper) are lawyer'ing up, because all the puff pieces ("Got it down from 2039 to 2036" - Swofford) and Skipper radio conversations mean they are deposition targets.

Interesting take on this from the general contract angle:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/fsu-has-nobody-to-blame-but-itself/ar-AA1lWKT5

Last edited:
Advertisement
If this is all accurate, the ACC is clearly trying to keep lawyers from getting their hands on things because they know there are major issues if Phillips violated league bylaws.
It's not Phillips ... he just arrived. It is Swofford who was there for 20 years and used the ACC and it's media rights as a personal gift that he gave to Raycom Sports below market value because his son worked there and they were struggling. He then continued to make "below market" deals for HIS OWN personal benefit (and those of his son) to the detriment of ACC members.

It's not Phillips ... he just arrived. It is Swofford who was there for 20 years and used the ACC and it's media rights as a personal gift that he gave to Raycom Sports below market value because his son worked there and they were struggling. He then continued to make "below market" deals for HIS OWN personal benefit (and those of his son) to the detriment of ACC members.
Incorrect. its also Phillips

Philips violated the buylaws in 2021 when he didn’t put the push back in espn having to exercise its 2027 option to a vote of the institutions, according to this lawsuit.

Advertisement

The one error he continues to make is the conflation of the ORIGINAL Grant of Rights, which came about in the wake of losing Maryland and getting our "first" big TV deal with ESPN...and the EXTENSION of the GOR, which came about when we were trying to launch the ACC Netowk. It was this extension which SIGNIFICANTLY exceeded the terrm of the TV deal (2036 for the GOR, 2027 for the TV deal)

Additionally, Genetics is either unaware of the pressure ESPN exerted in connection with the ACC Network launch, or else he chooses not to mention it.

In any event, he is about 80% accurate on this post, though the 20% I mentioned above is pretty ******* significant.

Is there really smoke to this 2027 "thing" or fool's gold?

@TheOriginalCane @Wake_Cane

This guy (minus TJ) thematically, I believe, is saying what ya'll have been saying previously...👇👇👇

I'll make this simple.

I believe the ESPN contract is only guaranteed through 2027. However, I can't "PROVE" that, as the ESPN contract is kept under lock-and-key in Charlotte.

But one thing I will point out. Several months ago, I was going OFF on the "non-need" for ESPN to force us to EXTEND the GOR by 13 years (which is what was required at the time of the ACC Network deal). At the time I was saying this, I had NO IDEA of the 2027 date and clause. So this DOUBLE-reinforces what I said months ago, which is that ESPN was DEMANDING dates and clauses THAT IT DIDN'T NEED.

And I know, there are a bunch of posters who are going to tell us that Beta Blake and Dan Rad should be blamed for agreeing to (a) the original GOR and/or (b) the extension of the GOR.

But we were being threatened by ESPN and had no other suitors lining up to replace ESPN if we had done the RIGHT thing and refulsed to sign the extension.

This whole deal stinks to high heaven.

Advertisement
Back