MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Filling an 80,000-seat stadium every Saturday and having an administration willing to do/accept whatever it takes to be successful is not nothing.

Regardless, it's not Miami or Clemson in the realignment puzzle

Clemson and FSU fit the SEC profile, which is why they'll end up alongside South Carolina and UF.

Miami offers a lot for what the B1G wants and needs. We don't have to win a beauty contest with the ACC's other so-called football schools to get an invite.

Still expecting us to be invited in tandem with ND when all is said and done
It's not 100% what the "Big" wants ... probably 20% what the Big wants and 80% what FOX wants. VIEWERSHIP is the criteria and for the past 15 years FSU and Clemson have dominated that category in the ACC by a wide margin. A LOT of FSU / Clemson BOT prefer the Big 10 over the SEC and the SEC has been very quiet regarding expansion. IF FSU and Clemson DO bail for the Big 10 and 1-2 others do get an SEC invite ... we could be looking at UM in the ACC for a few years longer. Lot of moving pieces.

Advertisement
It's not 100% what the "Big" wants ... probably 20% what the Big wants and 80% what FOX wants. VIEWERSHIP is the criteria and for the past 15 years FSU and Clemson have dominated that category in the ACC by a wide margin. A LOT of FSU / Clemson BOT prefer the Big 10 over the SEC and the SEC has been very quiet regarding expansion. IF FSU and Clemson DO bail for the Big 10 and 1-2 others do get an SEC invite ... we could be looking at UM in the ACC for a few years longer. Lot of moving pieces.
I don’t disagree with this, but isn’t this somewhat akin to investing in a company by looking at its performance over the last ten years vs what is projected in the next ten? That’s a quick way to lose money in the market.

I don’t disagree with this, but isn’t this somewhat akin to investing in a company by looking at its performance over the last ten years vs what is projected in the next ten? That’s a quick way to lose money in the market.
And WHO is projecting the next ten year record? Conference presidents or media companies that have the programming capability? To a degree the media companies can MAKE a brand more successful by getting them out of the ACC and into the B10 ... and scheduling big games. Big games are attractive to elite recruits and being in the P2 assists recruiting. UM will be at a recruiting disadvantage vs FSU if FSU is in the B10 and UM continues in the ACC.

Anyone else find it interesting how many ACC network games we have been on this year. Why? I know we haven’t been world beaters the past 15 years but this smells like an ACC conspiracy to me. I could be way off but what if the ACC is doing this so that other conferences will look at our viewership and be like look Miami gets no eyes on their games. Not everyone has ACC network so it’s harder to find for a casual fan than being on ESPN of ABC. Last gasp effort of the ACC trying to keep us.

Advertisement
Anyone else find it interesting how many ACC network games we have been on this year. Why? I know we haven’t been world beaters the past 15 years but this smells like an ACC conspiracy to me. I could be way off but what if the ACC is doing this so that other conferences will look at our viewership and be like look Miami gets no eyes on their games. Not everyone has ACC network so it’s harder to find for a casual fan than being on ESPN of ABC. Last gasp effort of the ACC trying to keep us.
I think ESPN makes those decisions. They get their choice first.

A LOT of FSU / Clemson BOT prefer the Big 10 over the SEC and the SEC has been very quiet regarding expansion

Greg Sankey after accepting Oklahoma and Texas in the summer of 2022:

“This keeps the SEC in contiguous states, which reflects a reasonable geography and like-minded universities,” Sankey said. “There’s no sense of urgency in our league. No panic in reaction to others’ actions. We know who we are.”

Sankey was asked if he had any interest in expanding beyond 16.

“We’re attentive, we’re engaged in conversation," he said. "The great news for the Southeastern Conference is people call and say, 'Hey you’re doing something special.' They kind of hint around the edges. We’ll watch what happens around us. And be thoughtful, but be nimble.”

ABC/ESPN decides which games go where.

Jim Phillps has as much say so as you or me

The ACC just sucks this year and they can turn in to ‘watch UM lose’ so it drives ratings.

Advertisement
Does Clemson football being on the way down affect the pecking order of preference in the ACC?

I'll keep saying it but the media companies have to know that Miami is worth more than Clemson long term. We have a higher ceiling and a higher floor because of our brand and because of our media market. Clemson has national interest right now because of their previous 10-12 year run. But outside of that window they have no national relevance and no media value.

No.

The Big 10's media partners want Clemson's viewership. And that has been consistent for decades.

It was great in the 80s and 90s when EVERYONE in SoFla seemed to love and follow UM. But now, a lot of those people have had kids who go to OTHER schools.

I see it every day on social media. Friends of mine, who went to UM, at OTHER games, wearing OTHER shirts and hats.

And if you see that happening among UM ALUMS, I can hazard a guess as to what is happening with NON alums.

Yes, tons of college football fans still tune in because they hate UM. But the "love UM" crowd has become a bit diluted.

And CIS certainly doesn't want YOU anymore.

Just admit your hatred and leave already.
SmartSelect_20231102_171603_Video Player.gif

Advertisement
And WHO is projecting the next ten year record? Conference presidents or media companies that have the programming capability? To a degree the media companies can MAKE a brand more successful by getting them out of the ACC and into the B10 ... and scheduling big games. Big games are attractive to elite recruits and being in the P2 assists recruiting. UM will be at a recruiting disadvantage vs FSU if FSU is in the B10 and UM continues in the ACC.
Partly our fault, but how much were our ratings suppressed by 1) the ACCN not being carried by several larger carriers for multiple years or 2) us winding up on Raycom or whatever random station. There were multiple games a year that I just could not even find the game or figure out how to stream.

No.

The Big 10's media partners want Clemson's viewership. And that has been consistent for decades.

It was great in the 80s and 90s when EVERYONE in SoFla seemed to love and follow UM. But now, a lot of those people have had kids who go to OTHER schools.

I see it every day on social media. Friends of mine, who went to UM, at OTHER games, wearing OTHER shirts and hats.

And if you see that happening among UM ALUMS, I can hazard a guess as to what is happening with NON alums.

Yes, tons of college football fans still tune in because they hate UM. But the "love UM" crowd has become a bit diluted.
I imagine a lot of those alums looked at the current cost of attendance and said 'no thanks.'

I went to Miami and would support my son or daughter going if they got a scholarship to reduce the cost, but at at close to $90K per year there is no way I am putting up that money and I would tell them not to mortgage their futures with loans either.

Now that being said, if they went to another school I would have no problem and expect them to route for that school (assuming they went to a school with a major football program), but I am not rooting for their school unless they play on a team there.

1699042010731.png

Advertisement
Partly our fault, but how much were our ratings suppressed by 1) the ACCN not being carried by several larger carriers for multiple years or 2) us winding up on Raycom or whatever random station. There were multiple games a year that I just could not even find the game or figure out how to stream.
FSU and Clemson are also on the ACCN.

Advertisement
Back