MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

… and then what lol. The US economy will recover. Whether a year from now or 3. And on a relative basis we are doing far better than pretty much anyone else. So a 10+ year ESPN contract isn’t really at risk lol. Sure in the down period companies can go under. Do you really think Disney and ESPN will be one of those companies? …
Until the US dollar is replaced as the worlds reserve currency. Hope that never happens.

Advertisement
It can't be. There's no viable alternative.

EU is too weak economically and nobody trusts China, even their "allies".
Yet OPEC, South America and Africa seem to be a whole lot more friendly to China then they are to us recently.

Hope the US dollar is never replaced as the petro dollar because if it is, the economic impact will make the Great Depression look like a minor economic downturn.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Are their profits/revenue going to keep up with the payout to some of these conferences. As mentioned above advertising is maxed out. How many complaints have there been with the increase in commercials vs the shortening of the game. As personal spending gets cut back more and more with a looming recession advertisers will be hesitant to increase investment. But those bills will still be due. That’s why they’re looking to limit their exposure
I have to think their biggest issue is cord cutters. They charge the cable companies by far the most of any channel and as people move away from subscriptions that require you to have ESPN, their revenue is going to continue to drop. At some point they are going to have to charge the remaining subscribers much more or figure out a way to get revenue from them directly which they have not been able to do so far.

1698098510329-png.262578

Attachments

• 1698098510329.png
    1698098510329.png
    132.7 KB · Views: 0
I have to think their biggest issue is cord cutters. They charge the cable companies by far the most of any channel and as people move away from subscriptions that require you to have ESPN, their revenue is going to continue to drop. At some point they are going to have to charge the remaining subscribers much more or figure out a way to get revenue from them directly which they have not been able to do so far.

1698098510329-png.262578

I stopped being a cable subscriber many years ago, but they are still getting money from me through subscription to packages on streaming platforms. are they just not capitalizing enough on those? People will always watch the game through pirate sites, but does the above data include people with Hulu/fubo/YTTV etc that are paying for the Disney add on that includes espn package?

1698098510329-png.262578

Love it when members post data, but the number of households is forecasted starting with 2021!

The trend is probably still valid notwithstanding, but would love to see actuals for 2021 and 2002. The trend is problematic for ESPN unless they up their subscription game or launch a viable network that is pay-only.

Thanks for sharing!!!`

Advertisement

1698098510329-png.262578

The SEC bias has ruined this great sport.

Love it when members post data, but the number of households is forecasted starting with 2021!

The trend is probably still valid notwithstanding, but would love to see actuals for 2021 and 2002. The trend is problematic for ESPN unless they up their subscription game or launch a viable network that is pay-only.

Thanks for sharing!!!`
Yeah... I was looking quickly for a good graphic, but what you point out is totally valid. This is a better graph as it includes ESPNs overall subs in blue.

1698102257265.png

I included the below information, but the article has good info and is worth a quick read: https://nscreenmedia.com/espn-declining-pay-tv/

ESPN is declining along with traditional pay TV

Analysts spend much time obsessing over cord-cutting and comparing it to the growth in SVOD. This approach may have held water a few years ago, but today the picture is more complicated. To be sure, traditional pay TV is declining faster than ever. The number of subscribers fell by 6.6 million between Q3 2021 and Q3 2022 versus 5.6 million in the same period between 2022 and 2021. Since 2013, cable, satellite, and telco TV has collectively lost 34 million subscribers and now is in just 67 million US homes.

vMVPDs have softened the decline of ESPN

In 2015, Dish Network launched the first virtual multi-video programming distributor (vMVPD), Sling TV. The service gave subscribers access to a very skinny bundle of TV channels for the bargain-basement price of $20 a month. Crucially, it included ESPN and ESPN 2. Today, there are six main vMVPDs with about 15 million subscribers. Four of the six (fuboTV, YouTube TV, Hulu Live, and DirecTV Stream) include ESPN in their base package, Sling TV includes it with one of the two base packages it offers, and only Philo does not offer ESPN at all.

The bottom line

The decline in traditional pay TV subscribers is dragging ESPN with it.

However, vMVPD gains are helping ESPN to decline more slowly than traditional pay TV.

ESPN+ almost makes up for the loss in big bundle ESPN users but falls far short of replacing the lost traditional TV revenue.

Mods: If this is too much pasted info (it's not a pay site), please feel free to edit.

Advertisement

Rad talks conference realignment at the 8 min mark.

Not a whole lot here, but figured I’d leave it here anyway. basically…

- we’re doing diligence
- not going anywhere or planning to leave
- football drives realignment
- we love the ACC, want to make the league the best it can be
- we’re excited about how Stanford and Cal solidify this league and make it better
- we’re excited to see the schedule for the next seven years

Advertisement
Back