MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
These decisions are not going to be influenced much at all by what is happening this season.
I used to think that and agree that they shouldn't be but I'm not so sure now.

I think there actually could be some prisoner of the moment groupthink at play and things could be definitely fluid.

FSU has one good year last year and all of a sudden they're one of the belles of the ball?

Stanford has 3 or 4 consecutive down seasons after about a decade of a averaging double digit win seasons and being part of probably the most successful overall athletic department in the country but now have to beg their way into a dying ACC?

UVag has been mentioned repeatedly as a possible B1G addition. If they finish this year with like one win and in last place in the ACC, do we really think their stock won't be heavily damaged if addl realignment is imminent?

Not at all? What if Miami becomes one of the most viewed teams in the country and or a playoff team? That would have no influence? And what if Clemson takes a nosedive?
Those scenarios are both almost certainly already baked in to the analyses.

I think there actually could be some prisoner of the moment groupthink at play and things could be definitely fluid.

FSU has one good year last year and all of a sudden they're one of the belles of the ball?

Stanford has 3 or 4 consecutive down seasons after about a decade of a averaging double digit win seasons and being part of probably the most successful overall athletic department in the country but now have to beg their way into a dying ACC?

UVag has been mentioned repeatedly as a possible B1G addition. If they finish this year with like one win and in last place in the ACC, do we really think their stock won't be heavily damaged if addl realignment is imminent?
This. It’s what have you done for me lately.

These decisions are not going to be influenced much at all by what is happening this season.

Where I differ slightly is with TV audiences. Because we know that our TV ratings can increase when we win games, and the only thing that Fox/CBC/NBC cares about with Big 10 targets is TV ratings.

Remaining chances to impress with good TV ratings:

9/23 - Miami at Temple - 3:30 - ESPN2 - gonna be hard to compete with Ole Miss-Bama (CBS) and Colorado-Oregon (ABC) in the same time slot.

10/7 - GaTech at Miami - TBA - TBA - I really don't think that any network or any timeslot will help us here.

10/14 - Miami at UNC - TBA - TBA - this one has some potential, OUTSIDE SHOT at getting College GameDay, other big games are USC-ND (huge game), Oregon-Washington and UCLA-Oregon St.

10/21 - Clemson at Miami - TBA - TBA - same as above, OUTSIDE SHOT at getting College GameDay, other big games are Ped State-Taint (huge game), Tennessee-Bama (huge game), and Washington St-Oregon (unless you want to count Duke-F$U).

10/28 - UVa at Miami - TBA - TBA - very unappealing game.

11/4 - Miami at NC State - TBA - TBA - not a great game, but not a lot of other good ones scheduled for this day, could be better if NC State wins games between now and then.

11/11 - Miami at F$U - TBA - TBA - if Miami continues to win, there is a very good shot at getting College GameDay, other big games are Ole Miss-UGa, USC-Oregon, Utah-Washington, Duke-UNC, and Michigan-Ped State.

11/18 - Louisville at Miami - TBA - TBA - not a very compelling game.

11/24 - Miami at BC - Noon - ABC - not a very compelling game, but it's on Black Friday and there is less competiton.

I think we have five good shots to pile up the ratings in our next 9 games.

Advertisement

FSU was getting eyeballs even when they were down. Why I don't know.

Where I differ slightly is with TV audiences. Because we know that our TV ratings can increase when we win games, and the only thing that Fox/CBC/NBC cares about with Big 10 targets is TV ratings.

Remaining chances to impress with good TV ratings:

9/23 - Miami at Temple - 3:30 - ESPN2 - gonna be hard to compete with Ole Miss-Bama (CBS) and Colorado-Oregon (ABC) in the same time slot.

10/7 - GaTech at Miami - TBA - TBA - I really don't think that any network or any timeslot will help us here.

10/14 - Miami at UNC - TBA - TBA - this one has some potential, OUTSIDE SHOT at getting College GameDay, other big games are USC-ND (huge game), Oregon-Washington and UCLA-Oregon St.

10/21 - Clemson at Miami - TBA - TBA - same as above, OUTSIDE SHOT at getting College GameDay, other big games are Ped State-Taint (huge game), Tennessee-Bama (huge game), and Washington St-Oregon (unless you want to count Duke-F$U).

10/28 - UVa at Miami - TBA - TBA - very unappealing game.

11/4 - Miami at NC State - TBA - TBA - not a great game, but not a lot of other good ones scheduled for this day, could be better if NC State wins games between now and then.

11/11 - Miami at F$U - TBA - TBA - if Miami continues to win, there is a very good shot at getting College GameDay, other big games are Ole Miss-UGa, USC-Oregon, Utah-Washington, Duke-UNC, and Michigan-Ped State.

11/18 - Louisville at Miami - TBA - TBA - not a very compelling game.

11/24 - Miami at BC - Noon - ABC - not a very compelling game, but it's on Black Friday and there is less competiton.

I think we have five good shots to pile up the ratings in our next 9 games.
Hoping that Miami isn't hit by the injury bug and goes into FSU 9-0. Would be a HUGE prime time game and would most likely hit 6 million viewers.

Source (anonymous social media personalities not included)?

Just curious since I haven't seen such a quote attributed to the Big Ten commissioner's office or even any of the other 13 schools
Big 10 media partners ... ie FOX. Lot of discussion in the conference realignment discussions on Twitter with @Genetics and Bob Johnson (founder of BTN .... the Big Ten Network) regarding the NEW criteria for adding conference members ... with THE prime consideration being viewership and that being the main reason that FSU / Clemson had been targeted as the initial additions for "the southern tier of the B10".

Advertisement
Big 10 media partners ... ie FOX. Lot of discussion in the conference realignment discussions on Twitter with @Genetics and Bob Johnson (founder of BTN .... the Big Ten Network) regarding the NEW criteria for adding conference members ... with THE prime consideration being viewership and that being the main reason that FSU / Clemson had been targeted as the initial additions for "the southern tier of the B10".

Bob Johnson (y)

Thanks

FSU was getting eyeballs even when they were down. Why I don't know.
FSU did very well under Jimbo and won a title in 13' (or whatever year that was). Seeing them struggle after that run will still get viewerships. Miami has been irrelevant for too long but that is about to change.

Very cursory look for past data that would be useful in projecting scenarios for the future ("like what if miami gets dominant again") . Most viewed games across era spanning 1990-BCS era:
  1. 35.6 million - ABC, BCS title game/Rose Bowl, Rose Bowl, Jan. 4, 2006, Texas vs USC.
  2. 30.8 million - ABC, BCS title game, Jan. 7, 2010, Alabama vs. Texas
  3. 30.4 million - ABC, Rose Bowl, Jan. 1, 1996, USC vs. Northwestern.
  4. 30.1 million - ABC, Sugar Bowl, Jan. 1, 1993, Alabama vs. Miami.
  5. 30.0 million - NBC, Orange Bowl, Jan. 1, 1995, Nebraska vs. Miami.
  6. 29.6 million - NBC, Orange Bowl, Jan. 1, 1991, Colorado vs. Notre Dame.
  7. 29.1 million - ABC, BCS title game/Fiesta Bowl, Jan. 3, 2003, Ohio State vs. Miami.
  8. 29.0 million - ABC, Rose Bowl, Jan. 1, 1998, Michigan vs. Washington State.
  9. 28.81 million, NBC, Orange Bowl, Jan. 1, 1994, Florida State vs. Nebraska.
  10. 28.80 million - FOX, BCS title game, Jan. 8, 2007, Ohio State vs. Florida.
It doesn't require much imagination for the media execs to see they should want Miami in the fold of a power 2 conference setup...

Advertisement
In the long term I don’t think Clemson is a huge draw. Sure they are doing well under Dabo, but if he leaves or continues to lose his fastball I don’t think they will generate huge viewership.

In the long term I don’t think Clemson is a huge draw. Sure they are doing well under Dabo, but if he leaves or continues to lose his fastball I don’t think they will generate huge viewership.
They were successful with Danny Ford. They have the money to go get a good coach. I think they will still draw pretty well.

Advertisement
Here's a really interesting bit of data related to that- I looked at the least viewed BCS bowls in the BCS era and there are some CLEAR common denominators that is relevant to realignment:

2011 Orange Bowl West Virginia v. Clemson 7.1 million
2008 Orange Bowl Virginia Tech v. Cincinatti 9.36 million
2011 Sugar Bowl Michigan v. Virginia Tech 9.38 million
2012 Sugar Bowl Louisville v. Florida 10.2 million
2006 Orange Bowl Louisville v. Wake Forest 10.6 million
2009 Orange Bowl Iowa v. Georgia Tech 10.8 million

LOL some of you morons thinking that Deeeeeon jets out after one year.

Y'all ain't thinking. It's just pure feminine emotion. Buncha butt hurt 20 yr running wannabe's.

Gotta stop that line of thinking.

Not at all? What if Miami becomes one of the most viewed teams in the country and or a playoff team? That would have no influence? And what if Clemson takes a nosedive?
miami already is in the top 4 of available teams on average viewership on network tv (nevermind bally ****)

wake is correct. One season on the margins is not going to make a large difference.

Advertisement
Back