MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Just saw this pop. Ummmm, i don't know what to say about this
1000015575.jpg

Advertisement
Just saw this pop. Ummmm, i don't know what to say about this View attachment 253519
So I can go to one of the luxury theaters with recliners, press a button so they'll bring me food or beer whenever I want, and I get to see the game with like minded fans.

Suggested improvements:
1. no spouses/children
2. Frequent pauses to return rented beer
3. Pregame strippers.

Question to the GOR attorneys on CIS. Assume Clemson and FSU bail ... announce over the next couple of months that they are leaving effective 2025 season. Two leaving ... especially two top viewership programs ... would give ESPN the option of the COMPOSITION clause and potentially OFFER a lower media payout ... say down from $35M to $30M. They cannot UNILATERALLY come up with a figure and modify the agreement correct? And ... does that media payout negotiation / modification then nullify the current GOR and put it on the table for renegotiation as well?

Advertisement
So I can go to one of the luxury theaters with recliners, press a button so they'll bring me food or beer whenever I want, and I get to see the game with like minded fans.

Suggested improvements:
1. no spouses/children
2. Frequent pauses to return rented beer
3. Pregame strippers.
Too many loud, drunk people in too confined of an environment. Also, less people watching TV in their own homes, driving down ratings.

Too many loud, drunk people in too confined of an environment. Also, less people watching TV in their own homes, driving down ratings.
The first reason is why I said no spouses or children. The second isn't as much of a concern because they can just add ticket sales by location.

So this is more of him trying to help those universities out?

I've said this before, but am I crazy to think there's academic politics involved in this that may comingle with the athletic politics? A lot of these university presidents are close and I'm sure Stanford carries a lot of clout amongst them. I could see some BIG10 presidents wanting to find a home for a Stanford after basically dismantling their conference. I've wondered if that's where Miami's motivation for a "yes" vote comes from.

I'll try to provide an example.

If this "academic clout" of Stanford's was so powerful, then the "university presidents" who should have been the MOST impressed should have been the Big 10 presidents.

The fact that Stanford could not even get a "half-share" payout from the Big 10, and might be taking less than $20M from the ACC is just an example of how little "academic clout" they actually have.

Nobody seems to care. Stanford might not even get into the ACC...based solely on TV/money issues, having nothing to do with academic clout.

And the fact that the Big 10's top 2 targets are two schools that are not even in the AAU should be a good indication that this round of expansion is ALLLLLL about the money. **** the "old model" of Rutgers/Maryland, which were 2 AAU schools in huge TV markets, even though very few people in those TV markets cared enough to watch those schools.

Oh, and don't look now, but a few years ago the Big 10 DELAYED giving Rutgers and Maryland the "full-share" they were promised, so it's pretty clear that "academic clout" is not really doing anything here.

Frenk is just a short-sighted idiot for voting "yes", unless we have substantial concessions being promised to us.

Advertisement
I hope they're showing the games on all theater screens or you'll have a bunch of moviegoers complaining about loud, obnoxious fans. I don't really see this as being a good idea.
Fine, I'll stay home.

✅ recliners,
❌ a button so they'll bring me food or beer whenever I want
❌ no spouses/children
✅ Frequent pauses to return rented beer
❌ Pregame strippers.

Not to be challenging you, but how is it you know this.

[BGCOLOR=initial]If you actually believe that Rad is against expansion, but Frenk is voting against Rads advice [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]
Hot Shots Idiot GIF
[/BGCOLOR]

If true, then I would expect that Rad would be preparing his resignation because this would be the most consequential decision in the history of UM sports, and I highly doubt Rad would want his legacy to be getting kneecapped by a school president and permanently ******** UM sports. Or you know, there is the more logical explanation which is that Rads Plan A is to try and save the ACC, and Frenk is just going along with that.

Advertisement
Frenk is just a short-sighted idiot for voting "yes", unless we have substantial concessions being promised to us.

Do you get the sense that UM's leadership has moved from an abstention (aka a soft "no") in the straw poll to "yes" should an actual vote to expand come to pass?

If so, what's the deciding factor? And is DanRad being overridden in the decision-making process?

(Likely missed some of recent posts in this thread, so SIAP)

For the record, I still think the B1G takes Stanford and Cal — likely for less/way less $$$ than OU and UW — despite current indications otherwise

Again SIAP:

Flugauer said yesterday that any ACC expansion — including the trio being floated the past couple weeks — will not impact the ability of UM, FSU, Clemson or any other school to leave. He said a couple of his sources were adamant about expansion being a non-issue for the would-be ACC escapees.

ACC is a complete clown show
To be fair, "closed circuit television" type events are becoming a little more popular again.

Theatres are running more live events these days...not uncommon for pro wrestling PPVs, MMA events, boxing cards to be played in theatres again (used to be a big thing before proper PPVs) and even live concerts.

Kind of weird for football games, though, tbh.

Advertisement
Again SIAP:

Flugauer said yesterday that any ACC expansion — including the trio being floated the past couple weeks — will not impact the ability of UM, FSU, Clemson or any other school to leave. He said a couple of his sources were adamant about expansion being a non-issue for the would-be ACC escapees.
His sources are Warchant editors FWIW. As far as "the ability" to leave ... anybody can leave you simply have to pay the ACC $120M and leave without having access to your media rights ... UNLESS the media partner at the conference you are going to ... is able to negotiate a deal with ESPN. That is the big unknown that "sources" are purely speculating on at this point.

As far as "the ability" to leave ... anybody can leave you simply have to pay the ACC $120M and leave without having access to your media rights ... UNLESS the media partner at the conference you are going to ... is able to negotiate a deal with ESPN. That is the big unknown that "sources" are purely speculating on at this point.

We'll see what happens, but I expect the ACC to be gutted and parceled out to the SEC, B1G and Big XII before the format is formalized for the CFP in 2026.

The three top-tier conferences are going to throw their weight around — much more than in the current format or the one in place for 2024 and '25 — to monopolize both the playoff bids and revenue.

It benefits that objective to have all their horses in the barn before it comes time to vote

ACC is a complete clown show
This is not ACC specific, ESPN is doing this for all of the conferences that they have rights to and just for 'big' games. They are trying to replicate what UFC does.

Personally I have no interest in it.

EDIT: It's not clear to me whether it is the NY 6 Bowls and ONLY ACC games, or if it includes other leagues as well. The original tweet that I saw seemed to imply others, but the linked article makes that less clear.

Last edited:
I'll try to provide an example.

If this "academic clout" of Stanford's was so powerful, then the "university presidents" who should have been the MOST impressed should have been the Big 10 presidents.

The fact that Stanford could not even get a "half-share" payout from the Big 10, and might be taking less than $20M from the ACC is just an example of how little "academic clout" they actually have.

Nobody seems to care. Stanford might not even get into the ACC...based solely on TV/money issues, having nothing to do with academic clout.

And the fact that the Big 10's top 2 targets are two schools that are not even in the AAU should be a good indication that this round of expansion is ALLLLLL about the money. **** the "old model" of Rutgers/Maryland, which were 2 AAU schools in huge TV markets, even though very few people in those TV markets cared enough to watch those schools.

Oh, and don't look now, but a few years ago the Big 10 DELAYED giving Rutgers and Maryland the "full-share" they were promised, so it's pretty clear that "academic clout" is not really doing anything here.

Stanford's academics may be on the decline due to their admissions policies. I recently listened to a podcast (can't remember which one) but they were interviewing tech professionals where they basically said they'd much rather hire a programmer from GA Tech than from Stanford these days.

Advertisement
Back