MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Why do I have this vision of Lashlee running up the score on Mario…lol

Joking outside, appears Miami is on the outside looking in. FSU and Clempson seem to be strong arming and either will get more money from ACC members to stay or they’re leaving.

Do Miami “fans” get a choice of which side line to sit on for that game, like they did for FIU? 😎

For someone who hasn't followed any of this... I was looking for a TL;DR explanation on why FSU, Clemson, and UNC are against expansion? What's the angle? Why are we for this expansion and how does it benefit us?

Advertisement
Advertisement
For someone who hasn't followed any of this... I was looking for a TL;DR explanation on why FSU, Clemson, and UNC are against expansion? What's the angle? Why are we for this expansion and how does it benefit us?

Read the thread.

Generally, the reason to oppose expansion is due to their being more schools which can vote, thus making a vote to dissolve the ACC harder to win by majority vote. With 15 schools, you need 8 votes to dissolve the ACC. With 18 schools, you need 10 votes to dissolve the ACC.

Frenk favors expansion, Rad does not. Frenk gets to cast Miami's vote.

Generally, the only "good" reason to be in favor of expansion is kindness and helpfulness towards whatever teams remain in the ACC, so that the ACC does not dip below 15 teams, which would allow ESPN to renegotiate an even LOWER below-market payout to the ACC.

Read the thread.

Generally, the reason to oppose expansion is due to their being more schools which can vote, thus making a vote to dissolve the ACC harder to win by majority vote. With 15 schools, you need 8 votes to dissolve the ACC. With 18 schools, you need 10 votes to dissolve the ACC.

Generally, the only "good" reason to be in favor of expansion is kindness and helpfulness towards whatever teams remain in the ACC, so that the ACC does not dip below 15 teams, which would allow ESPN to renegotiate an even LOWER below-market payout to the ACC.

The way I read all of this is as follows: We are doing the ACC (and ESPN?) a solid in the hopes (or maybe back room deal) that they will let us, FSU, Clemson out with a minimum of difficulties.

Advertisement
Read the thread.

Is this seriously Frenk's decision alone? This isn't a weighty enough decision for the BOT to be involved and come up with a united decision?

Frenk should be leaving soon. When is his latest contract done?

Normally, Miami does 5 year contracts, and renews in 5-year increments. Frenk took over in mid-2015 and was due to be replaced in 2020...before COVID hit...

So I'd imagine that with our centennial coming up in 2025, he wants to be there for the big celebration (I actually know that he is really excited for this). But it would also be the PERFECT time to introduce our new President to take us into our second century.

Advertisement
Read the thread.

Not to be challenging you, but how is it you know this.

Not to be challenging you, but how is it you know this.

1693332006899.png

Read the thread.

is this based on quotes that he’s made publicly somewhere?

So this is more of him trying to help those universities out?

I've said this before, but am I crazy to think there's academic politics involved in this that may comingle with the athletic politics? A lot of these university presidents are close and I'm sure Stanford carries a lot of clout amongst them. I could see some BIG10 presidents wanting to find a home for a Stanford after basically dismantling their conference. I've wondered if that's where Miami's motivation for a "yes" vote comes from.

Advertisement
Back