MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Doesn't the GOR go through 2036? That's 13 years, 14 if it covers the 2036 season.

True. But @NorthernVirginiaCane has backed off of his 2036 claim, and now says we might only have to serve hard prison time until "the early 2030s".

But, yes, if anyone thinks Miami can survive FOURTEEN years of slow fiscal asphyxiation, then I don't know what else can be said...

Advertisement
Pac 12 exits are looking like Bizarro eBay. The bidding just keeps getting lower...

Looking back to last summer when the B1G shocked the world with the USC/UCLA maneuver, FOX has continuously one-upped ESPN along the way.
  • The B1G-ESPN media negotiations where FOX slickly was at the table as a B1G "adviser" during negotiations, then brings in both CBS and NBC for max exposure and to help pay the freight for the BIG's media rights
  • Keeping U-Dub and Oregon on the B1G hook to where ESPN (nor anybody else) would be able to close a deal because the Ducks and Huskies were gonna say no to the price tag because going to the Big Ten was the objective
  • This ACC/Stanford-Cal deal where Jim Phillips can only offer crumbs because he's trying to quell a mutiny. FOX can and will end those discussions at the appropriate time — and won't have to pay much to do it while pleasing the egghead presidents ("academic prestige!") and AD's trying to keep their jobs ("we can beat Cal and Stanford")
Once Stanford and Cal are in the B1G boat, it's basically down to the ESPN and FOX carving up the ACC.

FSU/Clemson ➡️ SEC
UNC/NCSU ➡️ SEC
CANES/Leprechauns ➡️ B1G
UVA/VT ➡️ SEC
KU/Mizzou ➡️ B1G
Duke/DT/WVU ➡️ SEC
done

Nope and nope.

Miami will absolutely get an invitation from the Big 10.

And it really doesn't matter if the Big 12 had 24 schools, they would ABSOLUTELY take Miami. No "ships" have "sailed" on applying to our Big 12 "safety conference".

I’ll bet my house Miami has a big ten offer subject to Miami and others sorting out GOR

It will happen

I’ll bet my house Miami has a big ten offer subject to Miami and others sorting out GOR

It will happen

1692986046301.png

You don't have to have my confidence. The offer has been in place for a year.

Then please allow me to revise my statement. "I wish I believed that." :)

Seriously though (and please excuse my ignorance here as I am not following this saga at all), if the offer has been extended for over a year, what is keeping UM from accepting it?

Advertisement

Seriously though (and please excuse my ignorance here as I am not following this saga at all), if the offer has been extended for over a year, what is keeping UM from accepting it?

Resolution of the GOR. We cannot sign onto a TV contract with the Big 10 until our availability is resolved (or at a bare minimum we have to be willing to fight it in court all the way up to the Supreme Court level). And until that happens, it's a "non-committable offer".

You can choose what you want to believe, but do you honestly believe the Big 10 is uninterested in expansion in the southeast? Because THAT is DEFINITELY not true.

Have you heard of the GOR and Exit fee? Those two issues need to be dealt with. There IS a belief that Fox will negotiate some deal with ESPN ... trading media rights etc. to enable the teams the B10 wants to be able to move. Lot of working parts and everything would have been better timing wise if the Pac 12 hadn't of imploded and put OR/WA into the b10 on a discounted share basis.

Have you heard of the GOR and Exit fee? Those two issues need to be dealt with. There IS a belief that Fox will negotiate some deal with ESPN ... trading media rights etc. to enable the teams the B10 wants to be able to move. Lot of working parts/

✅

Advertisement
Have you heard of the GOR and Exit fee? Those two issues need to be dealt with. There IS a belief that Fox will negotiate some deal with ESPN ... trading media rights etc. to enable the teams the B10 wants to be able to move. Lot of working parts and everything would have been better timing wise if the Pac 12 hadn't of imploded and put OR/WA into the b10 on a discounted share basis.

I understand the exit fee and have heard of the Gain of Rights but do not know what it is.

Again, I hate to be the guy who rolls into a thread with 12K+ posts and asks basic questions... yet here I am. :noidea:

It will happen
Are you closets big enough for all of my action figures??? In all seriousness though I just hope this resolution happens sooner rather than later if the press is going to keep this expansion in the news continously into the season

I understand the exit fee and have heard of the Gain of Rights but do not know what it is.

Again, I hate to be the guy who rolls into a thread with 12K+ posts and asks basic questions... yet here I am. :noidea:
Wow ... GOR = Grant of Rights. THAT is the entire reason that we are still HERE as opposed to headed to the B10. All ACC teams signed a MEDIA GRANT OF RIGHTS with the ACC which runs through 2036 and the ACC assigned / sold those rights to ESPN ... so ESPN controls 100% of our media rights (ie right to broadcast games and receive money) through 2036.

Advertisement
True. But @NorthernVirginiaCane has backed off of his 2036 claim, and now says we might only have to serve hard prison time until "the early 2030s".

But, yes, if anyone thinks Miami can survive FOURTEEN years of slow fiscal asphyxiation, then I don't know what else can be said...
I’m assuming that he still thinks we’re contractually stuck until 2036 but that we can afford the buyout a few years ahead of that???

Advertisement
Wow ... GOR = Grant of Rights. THAT is the entire reason that we are still HERE as opposed to headed to the B10. All ACC teams signed a MEDIA GRANT OF RIGHTS with the ACC which runs through 2036 and the ACC assigned / sold those rights to ESPN ... so ESPN controls 100% of our media rights (ie right to broadcast games and receive money) through
Rick be kind to a board og legend @SFbayCane even if he’s been behind a bit. He’s not a no vag type

Advertisement
Back