MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

as of the hiring of Radakovich the Athletics department was elevated to one of the 4 pillars at the University of Miami and Radakovich was made a Vice President..

athletics is more important than ever at Miami and they understand the value of a healthy sports brand for the overall University growth...

Mario needs to win...
someone tell the baseball team that bc they def didnt give a flying **** about that

Advertisement
Or (and this is glass half full thinking) it will take a watered down product and make it better. With most of the marquee programs joining either the BIG10 or SEC, it's going to cut back on non-conference cupcake games that are generally wastes of time. I'm tired of there being one or two early season games worth watching on Saturdays while every other game features a P5 team against an FCS or crappy G5 opponent.

Let's be real. There was NEVER a need for 130 FBS programs. We're going to have the top 60-70 teams and everyone else will be relegated elsewhere.

Totally disagree.

Part of what has made CFB great is that small programs can make it big. Cinderella stories are real. ****, prior to ‘83, Miami was on the lower end of what would now be considered FBS teams. Same for schools like Boise State and TCU and Kansas State. That’s not to mention all the directional schools like UCF, USF, East Carolina, etc.

A 130-team FBS gives those underdogs a chance to compete with, potentially beat, and join the elite teams.

Cutting that in half to form some sort of mega-conference of elite teams totally kills any hope that lower-rung teams will ever advance.

David Lake had a pretty good point on the 247 podcast. He said it's pretty much a TV war between Fox (BIG) and ESPN(SEC). Fox is going for a national TV market for the Big 10 while the SEC is still pretty regional. With ESPN owning ACC rights too, they have one of three options to make regarding the ACC football programs (FSU, Clemson, UM, UNC and Virginia). They can stand pat and allow the ACC to eventually dissolve and lose those markets to the BIG 10. They can re-negotiate a bigger TV contract with the ACC to keep the broadcast rights. Or they can offer the big football programs SEC membership just to keep those markets (Florida and the Carolinas are big TV markets and only growing bigger) from going to FOX.
Almost makes an argument where ESPN "encourages" SEC-ACC-Big12 merger doesn't it.

Ya'll can thank me later.

l0MYQdBdqEpSEm82k.gif

Advertisement
Totally disagree.

Part of what has made CFB great is that small programs can make it big. Cinderella stories are real. ****, prior to ‘83, Miami was on the lower end of what would now be considered FBS teams. Same for schools like Boise State and TCU and Kansas State. That’s not to mention all the directional schools like UCF, USF, East Carolina, etc.

A 130-team FBS gives those underdogs a chance to compete with, potentially beat, and join the elite teams.

Cutting that in half to form some sort of mega-conference of elite teams totally kills any hope that lower-rung teams will ever advance.
My late father had the best litmus test for how people view college football:

If you had the power, would you move CFB one step closer to high school football, or one step closer to the NFL?

I would move it two steps closer to HS, from what it is now at least.

I hope FSU and Clemson go to the Big now and then we can go to the SEC. I originally wanted to go to the Big but I wouldn’t be upset to be in the SEC, definitely think there are some benefits- even with a little less $$

If we get left out of both it will be a sadder day than when JJ left for Dallas.
Much better chance of UM to the Big if FSU / Clemson go SEC. SEC doesn't want Miami period.

ESPN refusing to do anything to help the ACC will kill the schools that make it a relevant conference. If ESPN renegotiated in a way to make top schools whole (within x $ of SEC), they could save the conference. If they choose not too, which theyre not obligated to, there'll either be an exodus or theyll let the talent drain from the conference like a vampire sucking out the blood, and lose any value the asset currently has.
Perhaps for several reasons it would be in ESPN's interest if the ACC simply disbanded and 5 or 6 of the schools landed with one of the super conferences.

Totally disagree.

Except that doesn't happen anymore. The game has changed a lot in the last 45 years. Small schools having breakthrough seasons are more novelty acts today. Does anyone really believe that UCF won the national championship? Look at the huge talent gap when TCU played Georgia in the title game. It wasn't even close. I look at the schedules for P5 programs and most of them have at least three if not more absolute punching bags on them. Does anyone want to actually watch us play Miami Ohio, Bethune Cookman or Temple? Or would you rather see three Big 10 teams in those spots. Yes competition would be harder and fewer teams would have really great records at the end of the season but the overall football would be 10 times better than what we get today.

Now the only thing that really makes sense in terms of giving other schools a shot would be system like the Euro soccer leagues where weaker teams at the top level get demoted and the best teams at the lower level get promoted. The power 5 bottom feeder programs probably wouldn't like that because they wouldn't get the huge TV contract money anymore but it's probably the most fair way to do things. I don't want to see anymore watered down football.

Advertisement
Much better chance of UM to the Big if FSU / Clemson go SEC. SEC doesn't want Miami period.

I still think there might be an outside chance that ESPN might want Miami if FSU/Clemson goes to BIG. Of course it depends on how things go with the ACC.

Except that doesn't happen anymore. The game has changed a lot in the last 45 years. Small schools having breakthrough seasons are more novelty acts today. Does anyone really believe that UCF won the national championship? Look at the huge talent gap when TCU played Georgia in the title game. It wasn't even close. I look at the schedules for P5 programs and most of them have at least three if not more absolute punching bags on them. Does anyone want to actually watch us play Miami Ohio, Bethune Cookman or Temple? Or would you rather see three Big 10 teams in those spots. Yes competition would be harder and fewer teams would have really great records at the end of the season but the overall football would be 10 times better than what we get today.

Now the only thing that really makes sense in terms of giving other schools a shot would be system like the Euro soccer leagues where weaker teams at the top level get demoted and the best teams at the lower level get promoted. The power 5 bottom feeder programs probably wouldn't like that because they wouldn't get the huge TV contract money anymore but it's probably the most fair way to do things. I don't want to see anymore watered down football.
Whether or not UCF won the natty and regardless of the final score of the TCU Georgia game, those programs did compete at the highest level. And they competed at that level more recently (and in TCU’s case, more consistently) than UM has in a long time.

By your rationale, we should be relegated down to the lower division.

Advertisement
My late father had the best litmus test for how people view college football:

If you had the power, would you move CFB one step closer to high school football, or one step closer to the NFL?

I would move it two steps closer to HS, from what it is now at least.
While I agree in sentiment I can’t agree in practicality.

I loved high school football but football is a dangerous game and a lot of guys playing D1 will get CTE from playing it while everyone is profiting off their risk and ability.

Players should be able to get paid and should be allowed to transfer IMO.

These kids have gotten taken advantage of for too long.

As the industry and consumer behavior continues to shift, the TV/media companies have a limited time window to figure out a way to

(1) make streaming profitable, while incorporating live events
-or-
(2) keep linear TV profitable
-or-
(3) come up with sustainable, profitable alternatives

If they haven't figured it out in the next 5 years, you're going to see more consolidation at the next round of conference TV deals, and it will bleed even more into pro sports, as we've started to see with the collapse of the Regional Sports Networks broadcast model.

This op-ed is almost 3 years old, but still relevant today: One Clear Casualty of the Streaming Wars: Profit

Totally disagree.

We had been good to very good in the years before. In 1980 we went 9-3 and won the Peach Bowl. 1981 we were on probation, and went 9-2, playing 8 top 20 ranked teams, losing to 14 Texas and 13 Miss St, both on the road. This was a seriously good team. 1982 we went 7-4, losing 3 games by a combined 6 points, all 3 on the road. The next year we won it all.

Advertisement
While I agree in sentiment I can’t agree in practicality.

I loved high school football but football is a dangerous game and a lot of guys playing D1 will get CTE from playing it while everyone is profiting off their risk and ability.

Players should be able to get paid and should be allowed to transfer IMO.

These kids have gotten taken advantage of for too long.
I understand this takeaway from what I said (because it was intentionally simple), but the litmus only applies to the cultural/regional ties of the individual programs and conferences vs the professional nationalization of the NFL. Kids being paid is not the issue it’s meant to highlight, (I agree they should be paid).

Advertisement
Back