MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

sir this is not google.

Just this one time because I like you I’ll tell you - to keep them from going on realignment tinder sooner
Google is Chinese malware.

I'll clarify....just because I like you. What path of realignment were they going to go down aside from being independent or just making empty threats?

I'm told the Pac-10 put the kibosh on them going there with the Longhorn Network. We see now the SEC is essentially instantly dissolving it. So what was their actual leverage beside frightened Big 12 leadership?

Advertisement
That’s a possibility but I wouldn’t put my money on it. Either way, we will be in the ACC next season. Washington/UO contract allows them to join next year. We aren’t so lucky.
Sounds like you're saying we could have some kind of public announcement before the 15th.

Humor me. If you were to predict, would that be an announcement that we're leaving the ACC or an announcement of where we're going?

That’s a possibility but I wouldn’t put my money on it. Either way, we will be in the ACC next season. Washington/UO contract allows them to join next year. We aren’t so lucky.
I thought the whole point of announcing prior to the 15th, if that happens, is to open us up for 2024?

Rad playing it smart keeping it close to the vest. No reason to talk ish with no confirmed exit strategy.

It's like when people leave companies for other opportunities. The ones that vocalize it, and ***** and complain about how the company sucks and how much they want to leave, usually are the ones that don't go anywhere. The people truly angling to make a move keep it quiet and when it's time they pop smoke.

Advertisement
The amount of academic cheating (or attempted cheating) with it is mind-blowing. Unprecedented levels, imo. In my limited experience surveying it, I've noticed that it still gets a ton of black and white types of questions wrong and seems to be based more on long-form saucing that can often be rooted in nuance or debate.
It’s only going to get worse. Eventually, reports will be needed to be written in person and by hand.

The issue was that they saw people moving to streaming and made the mistake of thinking revenue would go down bc less homes would have cable, so they locked in a long term deal. What they failed to realize is that sports would become more valuable bc it is one of the few things keeping people on cable (or the equivalent like youtube tv).

Youtube TV is the definition of streaming service it is not cable.

Advertisement
I have been a canes fan since 1991 when I moved to Miami. Suffered through so many bad years and my kids laugh my yearly optimism, the oldest born in 2004. (Moved to LA in 2006 so they are not really from Miami.

If the Canes don’t land in the Big or SEC I am done. It is over. No more hope in the string of bad coaches and lack of dedication. No more hope in Rad, Mario or Zo.
The Canes as an elite program would be finished. I would rather sign the 60 ranked class and finish 3-9 than get left out of the P2. Being in one of those 2 conferences is our only shot to get #6.
Sure but as far as fandom in CFB, I’m going down with the ship. Will just stop watching in general, its dead to me if the Canes are dead.

Advertisement
Does anybody remember the specifics around the inception of the Longhorn Network? Why did the Big 12 allow it? I presume it was under threat of Texas leaving but where were they going? The Pac-10? Wasn't resistance to allowing Texas to keep the profits of the network the sticking point that later prevented their move there anyway? The SEC isn't allowing them to keep it so what was their leverage? The "power" of ESPN and a threat to go independent?
Texas had the Big 12 wrapped around their finger. This is one reason why Nebraska bolted for the Big Ten, and why Texas A&M, and Missouri left. Texas saw themselves as a brand equivalent to Notre Dame, commanding their own television contract. They weren’t quite right in that regard, but they were forward thinking for the time. The amount of money has grown considerably since then and the long term gains of joining the SEC, expanded college football playoffs and huge TV contracts make the longhorn network outdated.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Youtube TV is the definition of streaming service it is not cable.
Yes, in the technical application, but not in the context of what most people think when they hear 'streaming service.' YoutubeTV may stream content, but they are much closer to cable (and so is DirectTV/Dish) in what they provide as opposed to a Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc which is what I meant by streaming services.

If you want to call it something else, fine but the concern was that people would move away from traditional channel bundling where they were forced to pay for ESPN even if they didn't watch it b/c they wanted to be able to watch other channels that weren't over the air.

Advertisement
Back