MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

THIS ALREADY HAPPENS ALL THE TIME
Sure, there are cases where it happens (ex: Notre Dame), but it is not the norm and when schools like OU and TX or USC and UCLA changed conferences they also did it for their non-revenue sports (I am sure there were some exceptions probably for things like Sailing). What I am saying is to officially separate the schools the football team plays from the school the non-football sports play for everyone.

Advertisement
ESPN is broke. Is it possible they would be ok getting out of the ACC contract and maybe getting some stake in the new Big Ten with 4 former ACC teams in it?

ESPN is broke. Is it possible they would be ok getting out of the ACC contract and maybe getting some stake in the new Big Ten with 4 former ACC teams in it?
Did you have a contract? How do they get out of one contract and break another- you’re basically asking the granted rights in reverse.

Super interesting to see

Last edited:
Advertisement
You have to think long-term. Even if we had to take a lesser share to get in, it pays off in the future.

Lack of foresight and not reading the tea leaves is how the ACC got themselves in this mess in the first place.
Well if we were a partial member like UO we make 30mil in 24 increasing by 1 mil a year until the media deal ends. Then we can be a full member. That means when the B1G multi-billion dollar deal ends we'll be making 36 million a year.

In 2022 ACC schools made 37-41 million dollars. And this is already increasing every year.

So every year in the B1G we'd make 7-10 and eventually up to 15-20 million less per year than we'd have made in the ACC. We would also owe possibly 300 million. We'd put ourselves so much further behind the other schools in the B1G as a partial member.

Then in 2030 we can be full members for the B1G new media deal. So now we're betting the future deal to be made will make up for it.

I'm just wondering what decade we break even. To me that's long term thinking.

I'm just in here reading not knowing what tf is going on LOL

When is the earliest Miami could make a move? Does the B10/SEC want us? How does moving help the school?
- 2025 (for the 2024 they would have to notify the ACC by the 15th August, FSU is making an attempt allegedly)

- Hope so, legit posters on here are saying that Miami has a place to go.

- Money, stability, we wouldn’t be left behind.

Did you have a contract? How do they get out of one contract and got another you’re basically asking the granted rights in reverse
I’m not sure I understand what you mean. ESPN owns this grant of rights. They also just signed an SEC contract they might not be able to afford. I can definitely see them negotiating out of this ACC deal.

Advertisement
We are having dinner in an hour with the sister of one of the UVA basketball assistants(my wife works at UVA) and just found out he is coming now too. I warned my wife I would definitely be digging for inside info at some point. She wasn't happy and said to ease into the conversation at the very least lol

Good luck telling Miami and UNC to stay after negotiating the exits for FSU and Clemson.

I don’t think his argument about the potential survival of the conference is wrong here but they will have to let go more than two teams.

The ones that are investing to win championships need to go. Football championships obv.

Last edited:
Summary from the above tweet:

If the ACC does nothing and thinks the GOR will allow the conference to survive well into the 2030's, 2040's, and 2050's, they are wrong. Thus, what can the ACC do to survive long-term?

There are many options available to the ACC from a survivable perspective. The race is over for becoming a conference that can compete against the SEC and Big Ten. That doesn't mean the ACC has to become the next Pac-12. In fact, it would be better for college athletics if the ACC can survive in a new form. Below are some strategic approaches and recommendations for long-term survival.

1: Negotiate a two-team exit and no more than that.

2: Try and expand with Stanford and California. They are like-minded universities with many of the ACC schools. Stanford and California would replace the two exiting schools.

3: Add a minimum of 4 new conference members. This builds up protection over the long haul.

4: The ideal expansion move would be Stanford, California, Memphis, UCONN, USF, and SMU. If only FSU and Miami or Clemson leave, you still have good basketball programs in the conference. Football would be mostly non-competitive for a national title, but you still have programs with national titles in their history - Pitt, GA Tech, and others. VA Tech is a good football program historically too. If UCONN isn't added to the ACC, an eventual death of the conference is their own fault. Yes UCONN football is not good. Basketball is. They are nearly a $100M a year annual revenue athletic department as it currently stands. Memphis would be a good football and basketball addition to the ACC. And it expands the footprint. SMU has wanted to be an ACC member for a long-time. That move expands the footprint too. With the loss of FSU, USF would be a "good" replacement in order to try and still be in the state of Florida. You have a choice of death or survival? We can all go back through the last 20 years of choices made by the Pac-12 that caused them to be in the situation they are today. The ACC GOR provides some protection, so use that protection to build up a "nest" to survive. Why not call Stanford and Cal and ask them if they are interested in a conversation if that has not taken place?

Advertisement
I’m not sure I understand what you mean. ESPN owns this grant of rights. They also just signed an SEC contract they might not be able to afford. I can definitely see them negotiating out of this ACC deal.
Wouldn't that make them less likely to negotiate? Especially if schools are acting desperate to leave.

Here's what I see.

ESPN, the "journalist" are low on money

ESPN pundits are constantly whipping up hysteria trying to push realignment.

ESPN makes 150 million per ACC school that decides to leave.

Wouldn't that make them less likely to negotiate? Especially if schools are acting desperate to leave.

Here's what I see.

ESPN, the "journalist" are low on money

ESPN pundits are constantly whipping up hysteria trying to push realignment.

ESPN makes 300 million per ACC school that decides to leave.
I think ESPN would be ok cutting large future expenses in exchange for being included in the Big Ten deal. They are broke. I’m not sure there’s a large appetite to take on half the ACC in court when nobody knows how that would shake out.

I see a reasonable negotiation coming soon.

IT COULD ... if enough programs leave the ACC at least now it is feasible - potentially - to negotiate a deal with ESPN as they would have the rights in the SEC and the Big 10. Just at a different cost ... but also different revenue. This could be the missing link to facilitate the elimination of the ACC Conference.
Appreciate your insight.

Advertisement
Good luck telling Miami and UNC to stay after negotiating the exits for FSU and Clemson.

I don’t think his argument about the potential survival of the conference is wrong here but they will have to let go more than two teams.

The ones that are investing to win championships need to go. Football championships obv.
I respect a lot of his posts, especially when it’s directly in the Big Ten, and I also realize that he’s just throwing scenarios out to some degree, but I think it’s delusional to think that schools 3 to 7 would agree to two schools leaving for a reach around.

What day you @Cane & Able

We're applying the "ESPN is broke" narrative a little too generously/aggressively here in some instances. They suck and they're not being managed properly but they're still profitable and everything goes out the window in relation to live action sports rights. ****, they'll probably still be owned by the Mouse and will bid a trazillion dollars on the next availabile World Cup.

Advertisement
Back