MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I think you meant to type VT instead of BT, but I agree.

What's weird is that I'd be willing to bet that Clemson is closer to AAU-worthy than VaTech.

And I said this a while back, but GaTech might be a dark horse. MASSIVE market, and if you could get GaTech to improve in football, you'd have a healthy number of people in Georgia willing to wear black-and-gold to be "different" from the "majority-UGa" crowd. There's only two schools in Georgia to chop up the fans.
Living in the Atlanta area, I so wish this was true, but these people are entrenched. As far as they are concerned, UGA is the crown jewel of the SEC, and the SEC invented the game itself.
None of them would switch allegiances, oh they may say they want GT to do better, but they don't want them to be really good, at anything.
I hate UGA fans, HATE

Advertisement
Question:

How do "media rights" work with NBC/Notre Dame and say Big10/Sec school matchup?

When ND plays Michigan, how are the "rights to that game" worked out?

Does each retain authority to re-broadcast as they see fit??
Home team rights apply

unless a kickoff type bowl game

Advertisement
If I'm following...

Semenholes go to SEC today and join their conference.

Miami @ FSU contest would legally be broadcast on ACC Network until FSU gets out of ACC's GoR?
- would be option of ESPN choosing of ESPN abc, ESPN 2 ESPN u or yes acc network. BUT since espn owns SEC too it could be they “move” rights to their other property.

Advertisement
The thought of ND possibly having a schedule full of cupcakes, doing well, and finding themselves outside of the CFP really warms my heart.
Warms my heart too, but it's not happening. Even if the Big 10 and SEC refused to schedule them, the Big XII, ACC leftovers, and G5 would trip over themselves to schedule them. In a 12 team playoff, the committee will put them in with 1 loss or less, sadly.

To the GOR attorneys on board ... the GOR applies to home games. If UM leaves the ACC and goes to the B10 ...

-ESPN continues to broadcast UM home games and the money goes to the ACC. HOWEVER if the ACC is dissolved
then WHO is ESPN making payment to? The individual schools? So if there is no conference then ESPN would actually
be paying the schools directly ... if they retain the broadcast rights for the HOME GAMES.

-AWAY games ... the ACC programs that join the B10 would be paid by the B10 for away games.

If that is the reality, if the conference is dissolved there would be NO economic penalties to the ACC schools leaving ... no exit fee
and they would be paid for home games directly by ESPN as the conference no longer exists.

Seems like the GOR isnt the issue ... the continued existence of the ACC is the problem. Sink the mother.

Last edited:
People need to stop responding to Caneinbroward's fake "critical thinking" porsts. His bullcrap is just the same old disingenuous passive-aggressive hot-takes.

Anyone can play his ridiculous game. "What's to stop Washington/Oregon from demaning full shares in the future"?

If everyone will just ignore Caneinbroward and be nice to Memnon, this thread will be 80% better immediately.
Mean Girls GIF by filmeditor

Advertisement
Reading this thread is like my 11 year old trying to explain calculus.

ESPN has a contract with the ACC and owns half of the ACCN. It didn't receive an absolute assignment of the GOR, a collateral assignment of sorts, and certainly can't unilaterally move ACC teams to the broadcast agreements of other conferences. That's laughable.

The GOR isn't breakable. Dissolution is a clever argument, but I'm pretty sure you need a supermajority to dissolve as it would be treated as an amendment. But even if you dissolve, the assignment was prior so that asset isn't extinguished and the assignment isn't void. It is an asset that goes to the successors (complicated with nonstock corporations but essentially to the board or members).

So a team is going to spend $120mm in exit fees plus another $700mm in loss of revenue to make up for $20-$30mm annual delta? Ok. SEC ADs are controlled by irrational rich boosters, presidents of Universities are not.

Anyways, when August 15 comes around and FSU and Miami are still in the ACC, will the coffee boy promise to take a 6 month sabbatical?

ESPN has a contract with the ACC and owns half of the ACCN. It didn't receive an absolute assignment of the GOR, a collateral assignment of sorts, and certainly can't unilaterally move ACC teams to the broadcast agreements of other conferences. That's laughable.

The GOR isn't breakable. Dissolution is a clever argument, but I'm pretty sure you need a supermajority to dissolve as it would be treated as an amendment. But even if you dissolve, the assignment was prior so that asset isn't extinguished and the assignment isn't void. It is an asset that goes to the successors (complicated with nonstock corporations but essentially to the board or members).

So a team is going to spend $120mm in exit fees plus another $700mm in loss of revenue to make up for $20-$30mm annual delta? Ok. SEC ADs are controlled by irrational rich boosters, presidents of Universities are not.

Anyways, when August 15 comes around and FSU and Miami are still in the ACC, will the coffee boy promise to take a 6 month sabbatical?
Halloween GIF

Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

You got an online law degree right? U of phoenix?

Advertisement

ESPN owns all of the ACCN and the wording the UNC AD used in his comment earlier in the week was "The ACC sold it's media rights to ESPN". IF the conference is dissolved then ESPN, still broadcasting former ACC member home games, would be obliged to pay the members directly since the conference is no longer in existence. This is where the litigation, negotiation, and settlement come to play.

So do we think this morning's John Ruiz news article (hit piece) is meant to thwart Miami's move to the B1G? Interesting timing to say the least.
??? One has nothing to do with the other. LIFEW has been in the news from a financial performance perspective since January and just finally presented it's adjusted 2022 financials.

Advertisement
Back