MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

It's a research and academic accomplishment, but many are stating Miami and ND were granted AAU status related to Big 10 eligibility. If true, kind of takes away the shine a bit don't you think if the status was awarded with Big 10 eligibility in consideration?

Haven’t even read that about their membership into AAU. ND wants to remain Independent in football but when ACC implodes not sure where that leaves other sports. I think it’s been in the works long before more expansion.

Advertisement
My only issue was with the notion from warchant that FOX would pay for the schools to essentially breach their agreement. I never said anything about the ACC. I agree completely, if ACC no longer exists then it's nit an issue, but that's not the hypo that was being discussed. As long talked about in this thread, disbanding the ACC is likely the easiest and most cost effective way.

But that FOX actively told schools, B1G, that they would cover the cost, penalty, etc. for a breach? No, there's no way I think that happened.

Lmao. If only you knew. But I guess this is what happens on anonymous message boards. Enjoy your day.
Main point is at this point in time nobody knows WHAT the cost of leaving the ACC will be.

-If the ACC conference is dissolved ... then the $120 million dollar exit fee is no longer an issue.
If the conference is not dissolved and the schools have to make a $120 million dollar lump sum payment
and the media partner says they will help ... no issue. The schools HAVE THE RIGHT TO LEAVE as per the
conference bylaws.

-Whether the conference is dissolved or not there most likely will be litigation, negotiation, settlement with
ESPN regarding the GOR. Again ... there is no issue here. If the ACC conference is dissolved the GOR will
most likely go away as well as the exit fee.

No idea what will happen next week. Is it feasible that 8 ACC programs will announce they are leaving the conference? Seems like too many too soon.
Could very well see Miami, FSU and Clemson announce and several others take the position "we are evaluating our options". Doubt that any single individual actually knows today what will unfold.

It's a research and academic accomplishment, but many are stating Miami and ND were granted AAU status related to Big 10 eligibility. If true, kind of takes away the shine a bit don't you think if the status was awarded with Big 10 eligibility in consideration?
Doesn't take away the shine at all. Huge accomplishment evaluated primarily on academic accomplishments and RESEARCH investments. FSU was almost admitted at the same time, but their research activities are a tad lower than Miami ... but they WILL be admitted to the AAU on the next go around (2 years?). The research levels of some B10 programs is impressive (Michigan $1.7 Billion per year; UM is currently at $430 million). FSU is a take by the B10 in spite of not being AAU accredited ... and apparently so is Clemson despite being relatively new in the research arena.

Main point is at this point in time nobody knows WHAT the cost of leaving the ACC will be.

-If the ACC conference is dissolved ... then the $120 million dollar exit fee is no longer an issue.
If the conference is not dissolved and the schools have to make a $120 million dollar lump sum payment
and the media partner says they will help ... no issue. The schools HAVE THE RIGHT TO LEAVE as per the
conference bylaws.

-Whether the conference is dissolved or not there most likely will be litigation, negotiation, settlement with
ESPN regarding the GOR. Again ... there is no issue here. If the ACC conference is dissolved the GOR will
most likely go away as well as the exit fee.

No idea what will happen next week. Is it feasible that 8 ACC programs will announce they are leaving the conference? Seems like too many too soon.
Could very well see Miami, FSU and Clemson announce and several others take the position "we are evaluating our options". Doubt that any single individual actually knows today what will unfold.
Definitely. It's all up in the air and there are too many moving parts to be able predict everything 100%. Regardless, I believe we are closer to leaving than not.

This is pure speculation on my part. I’m wondering if the conventional wisdom that ESPN was sitting in a great spot because of how bad the deal was for the ACC and a great win for ESPN might actually be countering another conventional wisdom- which is that if you were in a true partnership, if your other partners are now sick, because of whatever circumstances, including how you’re treating them, then whatever deal you have is not really going to benefit you to the degree thought.

Partnerships versus just I pay you for work then it’s done are ongoing and need to be sustainable no matter what the terms of the contract are.
ESPN, potentially by not trying how to adjust for the ACC versus taking advantage of a horrible deal, could wind up shooting themselves in the foot with the premier parties that they signed up for bolting

Last edited:
Advertisement

Should Jaylen Brown feel some kind of way about his $304M extension because he's not even the best player on his own team? :D

It's great UM got invited to the AAU, especially if helps the athletics get an invite to one of the two remaining power conferences.

Everybody either knows or will learn this a quid pro quo world

Just saw an interesting tweet on a B10 site stating that the B10 is basically ready to commit to a 24 team conference and at least internally has agreed to the following six:

-Oregon
-Washington
-Miami
-FSU
-Clemson
-Va Tech

Then for the remaining two slots they are deciding between Ga Tech, NC State, Stanford, Cal, ASU.

Seems like some kid's fantasy conference addition rather than anything realistic. However @Genetics56 commented that it is an accurate assessment and he is more wired into B10 realignment than anyone I have seen commenting over the past year.
No ND or did I miss that piece. Or are they the scheduling agreement thing?

Senator, I was told there would be no math so maybe ND rounds it out when, if they join.

Just saw an interesting tweet on a B10 site stating that the B10 is basically ready to commit to a 24 team conference and at least internally has agreed to the following six:

-Oregon
-Washington
-Miami
-FSU
-Clemson
-Va Tech

Then for the remaining two slots they are deciding between Ga Tech, NC State, Stanford, Cal, ASU.

Seems like some kid's fantasy conference addition rather than anything realistic. However @Genetics56 commented that it is an accurate assessment and he is more wired into B10 realignment than anyone I have seen commenting over the past year.
You add ND to that list and man that is a powerhouse conference. Definitely would go toe-to-toe with the SEC in terms of football:

- Ohio St
- Mich
- USC
- ND
- Clemson
- FSU
- Miami
- Penn St
- Wash
- Oregon
- VT
- Nebraska
- Wisc
- Mich St

-Oregon
-Washington
-Miami
-FSU
-Clemson
-Va Tech

If that's true, they should consider booting one of Buttgers or Maryland, and add Cal, GaTech, and Stanford.

Advertisement
Haven’t even read that about their membership into AAU. ND wants to remain Independent in football but when ACC implodes not sure where that leaves other sports. I think it’s been in the works long before more expansion.
ND is in the B1G for hockey. Lax, hoops and BBall and all the other sports can pop into the B1G Ten. Scheduling agreement, call it a day. Plenty of playoffs spots for them if they play well.

That probably solves the ND thing and answers a question I asked earlier.

ND is in the B1G for hockey. Lax, hoops and BBall and all the other sports can pop into the B1G Ten. Scheduling agreement, call it a day. Plenty of playoffs spots for them if they play well.

That probably solves the ND thing and answers a question I asked earlier.

From everything I've heard or read (and hockey aside), the B1G ain't offering ND all-sports membership with an exception for football.

All or nothing at this point — and with conference consolidation the B1G will likely have the leverage to do so.

If the ACC collapses like many here are hoping, the Irish are gonna have to **** or get off the pot

From everything I've heard or read (and hockey aside), the B1G ain't offering ND all-sports membership with an exception for football.

All or nothing at this point — and with conference consolidation the B1G will likely have the leverage to do so.

If the ACC collapses like many here are hoping, the Irish are gonna have to **** or get off the pot
Gotcha, thanks for the info. Solid move by the B1G. ***** or get off the pot.

Hockey is always an outlier, we are a strange breed of humans.

This is pure speculation on my part. I’m wondering if the conventional wisdom that ESPN was sitting in a great spot because of how bad the ECC deal was for the ACC by grade for ESPN actually win against another conventional wisdom, which is that if you were in a true partnership, if your other partners are now sick, because of whatever circumstances, including how you’re treating them, then whatever deal you have is not really going to benefit you to the degree thought.

Partnerships versus just I pay you for work then it’s done are ongoing and need to be sustainable no matter what the terms of the contract are.
ESPN, potentially by not trying how to adjust for the ACC versus taking advantage of a horrible deal, could wind up shooting themselves in the foot with the premier parties that they signed up for bolting

You sir just described the legal term “consideration”

And I agree with your hypothesis

Advertisement
How would these two leagues match up at the top?

SEC...................... B1G
Alabama..............*C-A-N-E-S
Auburn................Michigan
*Clemson.............*Notre Dame
uf........................Ohio State
*fsu......................*Oregon
Georgia...............Penn State
LSU....................USC
Oklahoma..........*Washington
Tennessee.........Wisconsin
Texas A&M.........Iowa/Mich. State/Nebraska

If that's true, they should consider booting one of Buttgers or Maryland, and add Cal, GaTech, and Stanford.
Lol if you think they are going to boot Maryland, the large dc tv market, and where government and lobbyists live.
or for better or worse a school at least in the nyc metro tv market. Same on northwestern. it’s about adding new markets not taking away - and you can’t even boot founding members from BIG10 as a sidebar.

Advertisement
Lol if you think they are going to boot Maryland, the large dc tv market, and where government and lobbyists live.
or for better or worse a school at least in the nyc metro tv market. Same on northwestern. it’s about adding new markets not taking away - and you can’t even boot founding members from BIG10 as a sidebar.

Yeah, I can't see any schools get kicked out of the B1G or SEC during this round or anything near-term.

No reason to do so, tbh

Every school is making a truckload of money and it's not like those schools are upsetting the power structure.

Seems more like a solution without a problem

The NCAA Hockey Tournament and Frozen Four is awesome.

I look forward to watching it every year
I have been to a few. Solid event. Unfortunately never played in one.

The regionals are always up here so I generally go to them. College Hockey is really high end now. Lot of good players, could make an argument they have better players (collectively) than the Major A leagues above the 49th parallel.

MTSU for sure. i never thought id witness us getting smoked by a crappy g5 school at home where we didnt even look like we belonged (not even a fluke just a flat out theyre better than us and 10 times out of 10, they win).
I hated that L, but I wouldn’t go that far.
If you and I were coaching defense the next 9 games vs MTSU, we’d have the DB’s sit back and eliminate the Daryl LaMonica aerial act.
Their QB finished with 16 yards PER ATTEMPT, lol

I wonder if the B1G/FOX get involved and offer ESPN some of the games to broadcast, if ESPN would be more willing or even agreeable to breaking up the GOR?

Basically the ACC is dying and yes ESPN owns the broadcasting rights to all of it.. But if they allow some schools out of the GOR, then FOX/B1G would give them some of the premier games to broadcast. Maybe like 1 game a week for several years or something along those lines?

Advertisement
Back