MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
First it was Miami and Clemson were in lockstep cause of the DanRad connection

Now it's Miami and FSU marching arm in arm to the Big Ten

A lot of what we see in the media — much of it speculation for sure — seems to suggest Clemson and FSU are the two ACC heavyweights joined at the hip

Be interesting to see how things unfold
Miami and Clemson were locked on leaving and only leaving. We never were working together to join any conference from my understanding. FSU was the 3rd party who joined later.

Advertisement
Or maybe you can go way back when when you may have been told that Clemson and Miami were in lockstep with Florida state from the beginning From the moment Dan got here

Not you specifically, but I’m a little bit baffled that even for those that are not insiders on the specific topic, you can’t put the pieces together and instead of freaking out. Do you really think it’s just an FSU and Clemson thing where Miami is somehow wandering behind them, or do you think it’s more likely that Miami is locked in conversations with its most fierce but respected rival (yes at school level that’s the case even if you don’t respect them), and with the school that our current athletic Director worked at for over a decade and built the career of their current athletic Director?

I mean not everything is 8D chess, and just because somebody’s the loudest in the room doesn’t mean they have the most power or aren’t making moves. If you thought the loudest in a conversation meant you win the big boy moves, we’d have president Marjorie Taylor green or Alexandria Cortez at this moment.

I think Miami and free shoes and Clemson (and UNC, UVA, NCSU and VT as well) can be — and likely are — 100 percent (or close to it) aligned on detonating this ****-stain of a conference ASAP.

Not at all convinced the Canes are on the same post-ACC path as the holes or Tigers.

I prefer the SEC (for many of the reasons stated here by others previously), but I'd be ecstatic with the B1G as well.

At the end of the day, I think both FSU and Clemson are locks for the SEC regardless of any posturing or leverage ploys anonymous sources are feeding the media.

Our situation wrt to the SEC is more complicated, more fluid due to the institutional and cultural dynamics hashed out on this message board

Just 2 cents from a longtime fan, nothing more. I don't have enough inside knowledge on UM football or athletics to fill a thimble.

Glad we got this place to talk about the Canes

Go ahead and explain how FOX assisting it’s new business partners (acc schools being added) with their exit fees would cause legal issues for FOX……

This is the dumbest post I’ve read in a really long time
Under the assumption that there is a valid contract in place, a third party, FOX, leading and paying for the actual breach raises serious interference with a contract issues. ESPN, or whoever owns the rights at that time, would have a cause of action against FOX in this case. There is zero way FOX or anyone would this when it would be cheaper to just try and negotiate the buyout or trade of partners/teams. But I guess it's easier to just ignore real legal issues when there are better ways that make more sense....

Edit - my own personal opinion, I believe a lot of stuff is happening behind the scenes, but I tend to think FOX, ESPN, etc are working together more than against. And that ultimately helps the teams leave

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami and Clemson were locked on leaving and only leaving. We never were working together to join any conference from my understanding. FSU was the 3rd party who joined later.
Did we or Clemson have a particular league (or order of leagues) in mind when leaving became the m.o.?

Under the assumption that there is a valid contract in place, a third party, FOX, leading and paying for the actual breach raises serious interference with a contract issues. ESPN, or whoever owns the rights at that time, would have a cause of action against FOX in this case. There is zero way FOX or anyone would this when it would be cheaper to just try and negotiate the buyout or trade of partners/teams. But I guess it's easier to just ignore real legal issues when there are better ways that make more sense....

Edit - my own personal opinion, I believe a lot of stuff is happening behind the scenes, but I tend to think FOX, ESPN, etc are working together more than against. And that ultimately helps the teams leave
Besides using the word “breach” in your post, you have no idea what you’re talking about…… or have any understanding of contract law

Stop posting

Under the assumption that there is a valid contract in place, a third party, FOX, leading and paying for the actual breach raises serious tortious interference with a contract issues. ESPN, or whoever owns the rights at that time, would have a cause of action against FOX in this case. There is zero way FOX or anyone would this when it would be cheaper to just try and negotiate the buyout or trade of partners/teams. But I guess it's easier to just ignore real legal issues when there are better ways that make more sense....
ESPN doesn't have a contract with the University of Miami. They have a contract with the ACC. And if the ACC dies, so does that contract. But even if it doesn't why wouldn't we be able to essentially get a loan to help settle the GOR buyout... Same way a conference could loan us $120M for the actual conference buyout itself. I don't see the problem.

Weird that they wouldn’t be pushing for UNC and UVA. Wondering if the NC schools are banding together, state legislature is involved, or if the old Tobacco Road schools are stuck on staying.

Here’s my assumption

UNC is in the circle of trust within the ACC. They know their value and that ACC as a conference is doomed.

They’re playing the political game and allowing fsu/Clemson/Miami to lead the charge for blowing up ACC.

Is there a rhyme or reason behind this strategy, I couldnt tell you

Advertisement
ESPN doesn't have a contract with the University of Miami. They have a contract with the ACC. And if the ACC dies, so does that contract. But even if it doesn't why wouldn't we be able to essentially get a loan to help settle the GOR buyout... Same way a conference could loan us $120M for the actual conference buyout itself. I don't see the problem.
Don’t waste your time with that porster

Just saw an interesting tweet on a B10 site stating that the B10 is basically ready to commit to a 24 team conference and at least internally has agreed to the following six:

-Oregon
-Washington
-Miami
-FSU
-Clemson
-Va Tech

Then for the remaining two slots they are deciding between Ga Tech, NC State, Stanford, Cal, ASU.

Seems like some kid's fantasy conference addition rather than anything realistic. However @Genetics56 commented that it is an accurate assessment and he is more wired into B10 realignment than anyone I have seen commenting over the past year.
Although this would be great I suspect it’s not correct. Where would that leave ND? No way there isn’t a spot ready for ND whenever they advise they’re ready to join. Maybe it’s ND joining instead of Clemson.

I think Miami and free shoes and Clemson (and UNC, UVA, NCSU and VT as well) can be — and likely are — 100 percent (or close to it) aligned on detonating this ****-stain of a conference ASAP.

Not at all convinced the Canes are on the same post-ACC path as the holes or Tigers.

I prefer the SEC (for many of the reasons stated here by others previously), but I'd be ecstatic with the B1G as well.

At the end of the day, I think both FSU and Clemson are locks for the SEC regardless of any posturing or leverage ploys anonymous sources are feeding the media.

Our situation wrt to the SEC is more complicated, more fluid due to the institutional and cultural dynamics hashed out on this message board

Just 2 cents from a longtime fan, nothing more. I don't have enough inside knowledge on UM football or athletics to fill a thimble.

Glad we got this place to talk about the Canes
IF the B10 is able to assemble the targeted teams ... that national conference and their media partners (Fox, CBS, NBC) will be able to do some incredible prime time programming with elite programs. The impact on viewership and RECRUITING could make the B10 THE dominant college football conference and elite recruits will be looking at the SEC as a close second.

Advertisement
Just saw an interesting tweet on a B10 site stating that the B10 is basically ready to commit to a 24 team conference and at least internally has agreed to the following six:

-Oregon
-Washington
-Miami
-FSU
-Clemson
-Va Tech

Then for the remaining two slots they are deciding between Ga Tech, NC State, Stanford, Cal, ASU.

Seems like some kid's fantasy conference addition rather than anything realistic. However @Genetics56 commented that it is an accurate assessment and he is more wired into B10 realignment than anyone I have seen commenting over the past year.
Conferences need to pay some team to lose. Stanford can take the Ls and the check and fund their Olympic sports. Ga Tech makes sense as a fast growing population, rising high school football status and location in Atlanta

Although this would be great I suspect it’s not correct. Where would that leave ND? No way there isn’t a spot ready for ND whenever they advise they’re ready to join. Maybe it’s ND joining instead of Clemson.
Not sure ND needs a spot. I don’t think conferences would have an issue giving ND a playoff spot (with performance conditions). Especially cause now it will be at the expense of ACC and Pac12. Not the big 2

My only issue was with the notion from warchant that FOX would pay for the schools to essentially breach their agreement. I never said anything about the ACC. I agree completely, if ACC no longer exists then it's nit an issue, but that's not the hypo that was being discussed. As long talked about in this thread, disbanding the ACC is likely the easiest and most cost effective way.

But that FOX actively told schools, B1G, that they would cover the cost, penalty, etc. for a breach? No, there's no way I think that happened.

Besides using the word “breach” in your post, you have no idea what you’re talking about…… or have any understanding of contract law

Stop posting

Lmao. If only you knew. But I guess this is what happens on anonymous message boards. Enjoy your day.

Advertisement
Back