MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

A factor that needs to be talked about more when it comes to realignment is the ownership of local affiliates.

For instance, over the last two decades, Fox has made major purchases and or trades to get more Fox owned and operated local affiliates in NFC markets. Because they know if they are able to broadcast the local NFL team you are printing money not just on ads during the game locally but all of the other shows that are around it. The ratings bump is massive.

So when you look at the Big ten deal with NBC, Fox and CBS, those broadcast partners are going to want local affiliate revenue games.

The CBS and NBC stations in Miami are both owned and operated by those parent companies. WSVN is not owned by Fox, but they would definitely be outnumbered in these negotiations.

However, Fox owns their stations in Charlotte and Atlanta...they will be pulling for Georgia tech in North Carolina to be involved in a big tin expansion. CBS also owns their Atlanta affiliate.

CBS and NBC own their Boston stations but they probably know Notre Dame does more to move the needle there than BC.

This also puts us in a good position to go to the Big Ten, the broadcast partners will want to give our inventory to the affiliates they own. Disney has only a few remaining owned and operated stations so this is less of a factor for them keeping the ACC together or moving on teams for the SEC. They're more concerned with inventory for ESPN/ESPN+

You raise some very good points. There's a limit on how many local affiliates can be owned by a network, and I'm sure they are not buying up the station in Des Moines, Iowa.

I've tried to tell people that this **** is 7D chess, not just "but this school has X number of fans and won Y football games last year".

Advertisement
I'm going to say something controversial right now, but it maaaaaaybe could happen...

Imagine if F$U chooses to go to the SEC, and the SEC locks down north Florida...

And the Big 10 takes Miami and ANOTHER Florida public university that is a member of the AAU and will soon have an on-campus stadium...

Don't sleep on this idea. USF would not involve any GOR issues or buyouts or significant issues with their existing conference. They are in a very large media market. YES, they suck right now, but how different is USF's "current position" to what was happening at Rutgers and Maryland at the time that THEY joined the Big 10?

Yes, I'd prefer to bring non-AAU members F$U and Clemson with us, but if the SEC snatches them, don't ignore USF. And while UCF has the on-campus stadium, they don't have the AAU membership.

i mean I’m all Miami but that is completely true

Yeah... I don't recall if Miami was the early or late game, but 12.8M put's them inline (and more towards the bottom) of Final Four games over the previous 8 Final Fours

1686966608417.png

1686966710438.png

Yeah... I don't recall if Miami was the early or late game, but 12.8M put's them inline (and more towards the bottom) of Final Four games over the previous 8 Final Fours

View attachment 242567
View attachment 242568

Since I was there, I can absolutely say that Miami was the late game.

FAU fans (who were sitting on our side of the stadium) pretty much bolted after the first game.

Advertisement
Since I was there, I can absolutely say that Miami was the late game.

FAU fans (who were sitting on our side of the stadium) pretty much bolted after the first game.
Right... so the lowest rated late game in the last 9 years of the Final Four. I am sure that it didn't help that UCONN was the opponent either.

Right... so the lowest rated late game in the last 9 years of the Final Four. I am sure that it didn't help that UCONN was the opponent either.

Yes, and I'm not trying to show anyone up, I'm just pointing out that while SoFla teams like UM, FAU, and the Heat have had a great year, that also doesn't mean "everything" in these potential expansion talks.

Advertisement
I love when recruiting trips get us more information than actual news sources

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sure my point was that most flights go to ORD and while they are similar mile wise, ORD takes way way way longer.

Yes. Spending a lot of time in South Bend these days. Make it from O’Hare in 2-3 hours, but if you have a problem it can take longer. Midway closer. No direct flights from EWR, other than the Notre Dame Express which leaves EWR at noon on Friday and returns at noon on Sunday. Game weekends only. Can’t wait for the game there in 2024, trying to figure out the game date. Looks like either the first Saturday in Nov. or Sat. or Sat before Thanksgiving. Get’s incredibly expensive there and want to grab a AirBNB.

Yes. Spending a lot of time in South Bend these days. Make it from O’Hare in 2-3 hours, but if you have a problem it can take longer. Midway closer. No direct flights from EWR, other than the Notre Dame Express which leaves EWR at noon on Friday and returns at noon on Sunday. Game weekends only. Can’t wait for the game there in 2024, trying to figure out the game date. Looks like either the first Saturday in Nov. or Sat. or Sat before Thanksgiving. Get’s incredibly expensive there and want to grab a AirBNB.
Don't worry too much about those 2024 Notre Dame travel plans. We're all still going to be in Alachua County Jail.

Advertisement
Back