MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

That last part, what makes you think that?

College fans are largely loyal. Is it because it's a bigger opponent than there normally is or due to transplants?

Markets are nationwide with games on that you can watch from anywhere. Programming is based more on available fans than it is markets now. Granted, advertising revenue would go up for the local stations with the bigger match ups, but if USF is a bottom or mid tier team you aren't getting a lot of new viewers.

What were you getting at witb that? UF fans there aren't going to switch allegiance and the same is true of USF fans.

Sometimes I read some of these comments and I wonder whether some people have actually lived life.

Nobody is saying that an alum will "switch allegiance". But you are treating every college football fan in Florida as if they are binary, as if they already have an "allegiance" and the "allegiance" can never change. Furthermore, you ignore the impact that people who are currently "ten years old" will have in a few years when they become college students themselves.

So break up the TV market into groups.

First, you have UF alums, you have USF alums. I'm not suggesting that they will change "allegiances".

Second, you ignore EVERY OTHER ALLEGIANCE BASE that lives in the massive TV market.

So let's look at, say, Michigan fans who live in SW FL (and I met a guy like that when I lived in Fort Myers, and there were a LOT of Michigan fans in the alumni club he was involved with). Now, there's only one Michigan game per week, so if a Michigan alum in Tampa wants to watch another game, he might choose to watch The Gaytor. Why? They are the University of Flagship, they are a Florida Big 3 team, they play in the SEC, etc. I think a non-UiF/non-USF fan might choose to watch UiF over USF. Is that shocking? No. But now, if USF was a Big 10 team (and better), perhaps a Michigan fan in Tampa would now choose to watch the USF game over the UiF game.

You can see how that would work, right? I don't have to belabor this with Penn State and Ohio State and University of Miami fans, right? You can comprehend that the entire Tampa Metropolitan Statistical Area is not made up of people whose allegiances are ONLY UiF OR USF, right?

And for the record, I haven't even commented on how PARENTS start to change their viewing habits when their KIDS start to attend a new university. I can't tell you the number of my UM ALUM FRIENDS who wear t-shirts of different universities in their Facebook photos, solely on the basis of their kids attending different universities. I have a fraternity brother who takes more pix in GaTech gear than Miami gear, because his daughters go to GaTech.

So when you talk about RATINGS...it's across the whole MSA. And if the USF games in the Tampa market become more meaningful, then it definitely changes the equation of the ratings. Particularly as you have a bunch of kids who "have only ever known USF as a Big 10 team" (in my hypothetical of course) who now grow up to become adults of their own, with TVs of their own, living in households of their own.

I swear, most of the discussion on this board about how TV content and TV ratings operate is done by checkers-players. I wish this board had more chess-players when it comes to talking about the TV contracts.

Advertisement
Let’s not forget wonderful trips to Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue, and beautiful Minnesota winters….

I live in Texas though so maybe I’m a bit selfish knowing they’d play in state at least once a year…
At most every 3 years

Sometimes I read some of these comments and I wonder whether some people have actually lived life.

Nobody is saying that an alum will "switch allegiance". But you are treating every college football fan in Florida as if they are binary, as if they already have an "allegiance" and the "allegiance" can never change. Furthermore, you ignore the impact that people who are currently "ten years old" will have in a few years when they become college students themselves.

First, you have UF alums, you have USF alums. I'm not suggesting that they will change "allegiances".

Second, you ignore EVERY OTHER ALLEGIANCE BASE that lives in the massive TV market.

So let's look at, say, Michigan fans who live in SW FL (and I met a guy like that when I lived in Fort Myers, and there were a LOT of Michigan fans in the alumni club he was involved with). Now, there's only one Michigan game per week, so if a Michigan alum in Tampa wants to watch another game, he might choose to watch The Gaytor. Why? They are the University of Flagship, they are a Florida Big 3 team, they play in the SEC, etc. I think a non-UiF/non-USF fan might choose to watch UiF over USF. Is that shocking? No. But now, if USF was a Big 10 team (and better), perhaps a Michigan fan in Tampa would now choose to watch the USF game over the UiF game.

You can see how that would work, right? I don't have to belabor this with Penn State and Ohio State and University of Miami fans, right? You can comprehend that the entire Tampa Metropolitan Statistical Area is not made up of people whose allegiances are ONLY UiF OR USF, right?

And for the record, I haven't even commented on how PARENTS start to change their viewing habits when their KIDS start to attend a new university. I can't tell you the number of my UM ALUM FRIENDS who wear t-shirts of different universities in their Facebook photos, solely on the basis of their kids attending different universities. I have a fraternity brother who takes more pix in GaTech gear than Miami gear, because his daughters go to GaTech.

So when you talk about RATINGS...it's across the whole MSA. And if the USF games in the Tampa market become more meaningful, then it definitely changes the equation of the ratings. Particularly as you have a bunch of kids who "have only ever known USF as a Big 10 team" (in my hypothetical of course) who now grow up to become adults of their own, with TVs of their own, living in households of their own.

I swear, most of the discussion on this board about how TV content and TV ratings operate is done by checkers-players. I wish this board had more chess-players when it comes to talking about the TV contracts.
You can’t have that here. Been told that I don’t know what I’m talking about then feel sad until I check my LinkedIn profile experience and those in my network and remember where I heard how I don’t know why I’m talking about from im sure are highly successful home remodeling executives.

for the record I don’t comment on drywall debates

There would definitely be a lot of snowbirds that have never in their life watched a USF football game that would tune in if USF were in the B10 and playing Michigan or any other B10 opponent. Just like Canes fans all over do have a tendency to watch other ACC matchups when the Canes aren't playing. SFL viewership would ramp up significantly ... IN the Tampa market and throughout B10 country.

Mods, delete if someone already posted this but just came up on this on youtube. Its where i wanna go but signs are also pointing there. Is it a foregone conclusion? Nope. But with the AAU accreditation etc, thats where the signs are pointing.

Advertisement
You can’t have that here. Been told that I don’t know what I’m talking about then feel sad until I check my LinkedIn profile experience and those in my network and remember where I heard how I don’t know why I’m talking about from im sure are highly successful home remodeling executives.

for the record I don’t comment on drywall debates

What’s your opinion on 8ft drywall vs 10ft drywall ???

What’s your opinion on 8ft drywall vs 10ft drywall ???
I only know you put it up horizontal not vertical but that’s only because of volunteering for habitat for humanity 🤷‍♂️

other than that, again “no comment”

Advertisement
I'm going to say something controversial right now, but it maaaaaaybe could happen...

Imagine if F$U chooses to go to the SEC, and the SEC locks down north Florida...

And the Big 10 takes Miami and ANOTHER Florida public university that is a member of the AAU and will soon have an on-campus stadium...

Don't sleep on this idea. USF would not involve any GOR issues or buyouts or significant issues with their existing conference. They are in a very large media market. YES, they suck right now, but how different is USF's "current position" to what was happening at Rutgers and Maryland at the time that THEY joined the Big 10?

Yes, I'd prefer to bring non-AAU members F$U and Clemson with us, but if the SEC snatches them, don't ignore USF. And while UCF has the on-campus stadium, they don't have the AAU membership.
I can't imagine any scenario where the Big10 would actually take USF over like a VTech - especially if/when UVA goes to SEC. I think they much rather enter Virginia then go for the 4th/5th best Florida program that isn't even in the P5 currently.

None of the PAC schools would require a buyout or have any GOR issues either. And even after they sign their deal it'll be short term GOR estimated at like 4 years. Many PAC schools are in a large media market, and have historically far superior athletic programs than USF as well as far superior academics and AAU status.

Plus, If the Expansion was happening today, Rutgers and Maryland may (probably) not even have a BIG10 invite. Like again I think the B10 if it were happening today would take VTech over both them. GTech too and maybe NCSt from ACC to enter North Carolina....at least over Rutgers.

I think any idea of USF going to B10 would be if they were expanding >24 teams and the SEC got up to like 22. Even then it just seems needlessly risky or based on future potential. USF should join the ACC (whatever survives) or B12 first before they are even close to P2 status.

I can't imagine any scenario where the Big10 would actually take USF over like a VTech - especially if/when UVA goes to SEC. I think they much rather enter Virginia then go for the 4th/5th best Florida program that isn't even in the P5 currently.

None of the PAC schools would require a buyout or have any GOR issues either. And even after they sign their deal it'll be short term GOR estimated at like 4 years. Many PAC schools are in a large media market, and have historically far superior athletic programs than USF as well as far superior academics and AAU status.

Plus, If the Expansion was happening today, Rutgers and Maryland may (probably) not even have a BIG10 invite. Like again I think the B10 if it were happening today would take VTech over both them. GTech too and maybe NCSt from ACC to enter North Carolina....at least over Rutgers.

I think any idea of USF going to B10 would be if they were expanding >24 teams and the SEC got up to like 22. Even then it just seems needlessly risky or based on future potential. USF should join the ACC (whatever survives) or B12 first before they are even close to P2 status.

I know, I know, you're still holding a candle for Oregon. Get over it, friend-o.

Sorry, but east coast holds sway right now. Maybe someday Oregon will get a rose...

1686864294950.png

I'm going to say something controversial right now, but it maaaaaaybe could happen...

Imagine if F$U chooses to go to the SEC, and the SEC locks down north Florida...

And the Big 10 takes Miami and ANOTHER Florida public university that is a member of the AAU and will soon have an on-campus stadium...

Don't sleep on this idea. USF would not involve any GOR issues or buyouts or significant issues with their existing conference. They are in a very large media market. YES, they suck right now, but how different is USF's "current position" to what was happening at Rutgers and Maryland at the time that THEY joined the Big 10?

Yes, I'd prefer to bring non-AAU members F$U and Clemson with us, but if the SEC snatches them, don't ignore USF. And while UCF has the on-campus stadium, they don't have the AAU membership.

Here is my question, it seems that FSU is going to a lot of effort to become a better academic university. If they are so close to AAU status and really are striving to be a better academic university, then isn't the Big 10 also a better choice overall for FSU? Aren't those research dollar$ also very attractive to them. I really think the Big 10 should make a power move and try to bring them in with Miami. More football powers in the conference means more future TV $. It is conspicuous that both ND and Miami got voted into AAU this time around. The Big could float out to FSU (likely have had the conversation already) that they have influence on voting or invites.

Regardless, your idea of the potential of pulling in USF may be a good one due to academics. I am just not sure that USF offers enough in sports though The Tampa and Miami TV markets and having 2 teams in the Big 10 here allows for better Big 10 recruiting in the State of Florida.

Last edited:
Advertisement
They know. Trust me, they know.

Doesn't mean USF is their favorite team or anything, but again, the "Florida" play for the Big 10 is not just "Miami fans" or "SemenHole fans" or "Bull**** fans", it's also the fact that you'll get a multiplier effect from all the Big 10 fans who live in Florida or like to take trips to Florida.

Also, right now, UF can carry the Tampa market. But if "the local team" was playing in the Big 10, I guarantee it would damage the Gaytors ratings in that massive TV market.
It would definitely hurt UF and FSU long term if USF made it into a power conference. They are both robbing USF blind of their recruits because they are a lesser program in a lesser conference no doubt. Eventually they could build up and start keeping some of their recruits home in due time.

Here is my question, it seems that FSU is going to a lot of effort to become a better academic university. If they are so close to AAU status and really are striving to be a better academic university, then isn't the Big 10 also a better choice overall for FSU? Aren't those research dollar$ also very attractive to them. I really think the Big 10 should make a power move and try to bring them in with Miami. More football powers in the conference means more future TV $. It is conspicuous that both ND and Miami got voted into AAU this time around. The Big could float out to FSU (likely have had the conversation already) that they have influence on voting or invites.

Regardless, your idea of the potential of pulling in USF may be a good one due to academics. I am just not sure that USF offers enough in sports though The Tampa and Miami TV markets and having 2 teams in the Big 10 here allows for better Big 10 recruiting in the State of Florida.

In no way, shape, or form am I advocating for USF over any of a dozen schools. I'm just saying...keep your eye on them...

I agree with you on F$U. The problem that Florida state schools have had for the last decade or two is that many of the University presidents have been political hacks. So you can sometimes have a conflict within leadership about what to do to improve the academics.

I'd be fine with F$U in the Big 10. I'd love to have Clemson too, but I fear they may be too much of an academic stretch for the Big 10.

I'd be torn on letting UCF or USF turn the Big 3 into the Big 4. Yes they'd hurt UF more than they'd hurt us, but still don't know that I want ANOTHER P5 (or rather P2) school in state to recruit against.

Advertisement
I'd be torn on letting UCF or USF turn the Big 3 into the Big 4. Yes they'd hurt UF more than they'd hurt us, but still don't know that I want ANOTHER P5 (or rather P2) school in state to recruit against.

I look at it this way. Whether UM/UiF/F$U want to "dignify" UCF and/or USF, it will likely happen without our choice.

First, UCF is already joining the Big 12. The Big 12 is LIKELY (not certain, just likely) to remain one of the "power" conferences. At some point, if there is a scramble for new members, USF may end up in that conference as well.

Second, the likelihood of UM/UiF/F$U playing those schools on a regular basis is low. If the Florida Big 3 end up in the Big 10 or SEC, then each conference will likely go to a 9-game conference schedule. So the OOC scheduling opportunities will be even harder to come by. I'd imagine that in the years where you only have 4 home conference games, a school may be tempted to schedule all 3 OOC games as home games. Imagine the Gaytors, in a year where they "should" have 4 home games, and one of them is in Jacksonville...

Anyhow, if the Florida Big 3 becomes a 4 or a 5, it will be because the media says so, and not because we "allowed it". Clearly, if UCF/USF got into the SAME conference as any of the Florida Big 3, the storyline becomes stronger. But if UCF/USF end up in the Big 12 together, I don't think there is anything WE can do to prevent a "Florida Big 5".

Who is the moron who named the school Univ of South FL when it’s in central FL?
It was South Florida in the 50's. Orlando was nothing back then. Although the name UCF was available as Current UCF was established later as Florida Technological University and renamed in the 70's

In no way, shape, or form am I advocating for USF over any of a dozen schools. I'm just saying...keep your eye on them...

I agree with you on F$U. The problem that Florida state schools have had for the last decade or two is that many of the University presidents have been political hacks. So you can sometimes have a conflict within leadership about what to do to improve the academics.

I'd be fine with F$U in the Big 10. I'd love to have Clemson too, but I fear they may be too much of an academic stretch for the Big 10.

Between FSU presidents being hacks, and their Athletic Dept being a joke and poor publicly, plus not great academics, BigTen schools wouldn’t touch fsu if it wasn’t for football

Their resurgence last year wasn’t that great if you dig into each game. God I hope we murk them this year

Advertisement
Back