MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Basically a Llm is like a further specialized degree (like a masters for your Bach) onto your jd. I’m sure toc has his in tax since UF is a top 3 or so tax law school

I’m not a lawyer, but I’ve also noticed that a lot of LLM‘s are foreign students for some reason. I’ve never been motivated to look into why.

Advertisement
Oh I know technically you are a grad, but culturally you are in Coral Gables for a cup of coffee. And now I believe a lot is done remotely.

I liked all the hot international babes in the ll.m classes though ...

There's more than one kind of LL.M.

The International Law LL.M. is a program designed for law grads FROM OTHER COUNTRIES, and they take a 1-year curriculum that allows them to practice in the US.

The Tax Law LL.M. and Estate Planning LL.M. involved 1-2 years of coursework in that specific subject matter, and are for people with JD degrees in the US (we might take Canadians too).

The International Law LL.M. is a program designed for law grads FROM OTHER COUNTRIES, and they take a 1-year curriculum that allows them to practice in the US.

The Tax Law LL.M. and Estate Planning LL.M. involved 1-2 years of coursework in that specific subject matter, and are for people with JD degrees in the US (we might take Canadians too).
My buddy did his Llm at UF too. His was a year in tax. Really good program

Advertisement
I’m not a lawyer, but I’ve also noticed that a lot of LLM‘s are foreign students for some reason. I’ve never been motivated to look into why.

I just answered that. Different kinds of LL.M. degrees.

I did the one with very few hot chicks. Tax LL.M. programs are predominantly sausage parties.

I heard that NYSOM just applied...

Basically a Llm is like a further specialized degree (like a masters for your Bach) onto your jd. I’m sure toc has his in tax since UF is a top 3 or so tax law school

Yessir. All tax classes for three semesters (fall, spring, and summer).

As opposed to regular law school, where you might only take a couple of specialized courses in one subject. As an aside, did you ever know anyone who took more than 2 classes in, say, criminal law or domestic relations or torts? MAYBE a 1 or 2 credit seminar?

I took Lit Skills and I did a Clinical Placement. You add in the classes you really need to take (Evidence) and it doesn't leave a lot of opportunity for specialization in the 2L and 3L years.

My buddy did his Llm at UF too. His was a year in tax. Really good program

Yeah, depending on if you are already working for a law firm (yes, we had some students drive to Gainesville from Jax and Orlando for a few days a week), you can do it in 1 or 2 years. I decided to go full-time and just get 'r done.

I would say that the Tax LL.M. faculty at Florida are more "academics", they write textbooks and whatnot. My professor for Corp Tax - it was his textbook. Same for my Trusts & Estates professor. For the T&E class in Gainesville, the guy would NOT let you take his class if you also took his class as a JD at UF. A bunch of us got a set of notes from the prior year, and the professor would even crack the same jokes (they were in the notes). It was bizzare, it was almost like having a movie script.

For the Tax LL.M. faculty at Miami, they are more "practitioners" or "consultants", they often give interviews and commentary, but they don't have as many graduate assistants helping them to write textbooks.

Florida Tax LL.M. is a top 3 program (with NYU and Georgetown). UM Tax LL.M. is a Top 10 program.

And now...back to your regularly-scheduled programming...

Advertisement

I have an LLM as well, not in tax. I did the coursework in a year but did the thesis over the following year as I worked.

I have an LLM as well, not in tax. I did the coursework in a year but did the thesis over the following year as I worked.

denzel-washington-training-day.gif

Oh I know technically you are a grad, but culturally you are in Coral Gables for a cup of coffee. And now I believe a lot is done remotely.

I liked all the hot international babes in the ll.m classes though ...
I lived two counties away and commuted. I guess that makes me just technically a grad, but not culturally?

Advertisement
Yessir. All tax classes for three semesters (fall, spring, and summer).

As opposed to regular law school, where you might only take a couple of specialized courses in one subject. As an aside, did you ever know anyone who took more than 2 classes in, say, criminal law or domestic relations or torts? MAYBE a 1 or 2 credit seminar?

I took Lit Skills and I did a Clinical Placement. You add in the classes you really need to take (Evidence) and it doesn't leave a lot of opportunity for specialization in the 2L and 3L years.
lol you absically learn how to pass the bar in law school. your electives are your only shot to learn anything beyond and like you said very few offerings.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back