MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

IMG_2980.gif

Advertisement
Not sure if The Athletic Article has been posted yet but basically nothing new...

- 7 teams were: FSU, Clemson, Miami, VTech, UVA, UNC, and NCSt.
- Most discussions weren't the 7 all together (and this is coming from VTechs AD, so almost definitely Miami/Clemson/FSU have been having even more meetings)
- Basically it came out as a way of pushing things they wanted done this year (assuming the unequal distribution).
- Unlikely PAC would add more than 2 schools.
-Will likely make a decision on SDSt before June 30
- PAC GOR likely to be 4-6 years.
- Colorado, Arizona, and UConn on B12 radar.
- B12 trying to position themselves as 3rd best by far.

Advertisement
Not sure if The Athletic Article has been posted yet but basically nothing new...

- 7 teams were: FSU, Clemson, Miami, VTech, UVA, UNC, and NCSt.
- Most discussions weren't the 7 all together (and this is coming from VTechs AD, so almost definitely Miami/Clemson/FSU have been having even more meetings)
- Basically it came out as a way of pushing things they wanted done this year (assuming the unequal distribution).
- Unlikely PAC would add more than 2 schools.
-Will likely make a decision on SDSt before June 30
- PAC GOR likely to be 4-6 years.
- Colorado, Arizona, and UConn on B12 radar.
- B12 trying to position themselves as 3rd best by far.
Dead troll bodies are falling all around you and you’re on point and on message with the thread topic, forging ahead without skipping a beat like all is calm out here. Lol

How exactly am I a troll? I’m a longtime season ticket holder and an alumni. I can send you a copy of my degree if you’d like. Sorry if my opinions about the state of the program offend you. Actually you know what, nah. I’m not sorry.

There seems to be a misunderstanding around here about what a troll actually is. It’s not someone who simply has an opinion differing from yours. Get over yourself man.
Clear troll, couldn't even get alumnus correct

I went to the school 20 years ago and no, I wasn’t part of whatever the **** this society is, nor do I give enough ***** to know or remember what it is. Thought it was an FSU thing because it sounds like an FSU thing. My bad.
people Like you are why we are in the place we are in society.

go eat a big fat 🍆

Advertisement
B1G is going to require AAU accredation for any new member, with the only possible exception of Notre Dame. AAU accreditation depends heavily on engineering and biomedical research. UM has a huge amount of biomedical research (one of best in the country in spinal injury research).

I think FSU has the least biomedical research of any public university in the state.

So even if you think they are a more attractive program nationally (they aren't), they have almost no chance of getting AAU accredited, so that also means no B1G.
wasn't Nebraska kicked out of the AAU?

Big Ten and ACC (Louisville excepted), care about academics. School leadership of the schools in question obviously care about academics. SEC has enough decent academic schools (Vandy serves a purpose), and the money is so good, that they are fine too. Big 12 sucks in this regard.

The money would need to be materially better for an ACC school to head to the big 12. It's not. So unless the big ten/sec have promised seats at the table for enough ACC schools, the reporting is probably an exaggeration of the Magnificent 7 discussions. Virginia Tech isn't going to the big 12 for example.

I also question the reporting on the Big Ten/SEC plans to go beyond current numbers. Texas made sense. Usc made sense. Notre Dame would make sense. Not sure about the rest.

TBD. Should be interesting. Miami, FSU and Clemson getting multiple playoff bids in the coming years would change a lot of narratives.

Last edited:
wasn't Nebraska kicked out of the AAU?

Big Ten and ACC (Louisville excepted), care about academics. School leadership of the schools in question obviously care about academics. SEC has enough decent academic schools (Vandy serves a purpose), and the money is so good, that they are fine too. Big 12 sucks in this regard.

The money would need to be materially better for an ACC school to head to the big 12. It's not. So unless the big ten/sec have promised seats at the table for enough ACC schools, the reporting is probably an exaggeration of the Magnificent 7 discussions. Virginia Tech isn't going to the big 12 for example.

I also question the reporting on the Big Ten/SEC plans to go beyond current numbers. Texas made sense. Usc made sense. Notre Dame would make sense. Not sure about the rest.

TBD. Should be interesting. Miami, FSU and Clemson getting multiple playoff bids in the coming years would charge a lot of narratives.
I believe one of the aspects that the conferences look at ... is the recruiting potential for new members being IN their conference. Miami being a member of the Big 10 would be a huge boost on the recruiting trail. Same for Clemson / FSU as members of the SEC.

Well college degrees in general are pretty worthless when you think about. It’s a piece of paper you paid several thousands of dollars for in order to prepare yourself for the real world. Reality is they don’t prepare you for ****. Do with it what you will.

And I think comparing me to a dude who’s name is IronArrow (clearly an FSU fan) is a bit much. I’m a bit skeptical in certain areas. In no way am I saying Miami is an inferior brand not worthy of a BIG invite. I want this program back to its glory days just like everyone here and would absolutely LOVE to play in the BIG or SEC. I just haven’t seen anything that indicates we’re high on the BIG list right now. Maybe we are, maybe we’re not. Fan speculation doesn’t convince me either way.

Now I know you're not a UM alum.

Iron Arrow is the highest honor attainable at the University of Miami. Iron Arrow taps new members twice a year, with a 24-hour session right next to the big U in the center of campus, where they have a lit fire and bang the drum all day long. Not to mention the procession through campus, where they wear their authentic Seminole Indian tribal jackets.

Oh, and for every Homecoming game, the members of Iron Arrow are down on the field and the team comes out of the tunnel and runs through a double-line of Iron Arrow members wearing their jackets.

But, suuuure, you went to the University of Miami. Hilarious.

Advertisement

Iron Arrow is the highest honor attainable at the University of Miami. Iron Arrow taps new members twice a year, with a 24-hour session right next to the big U in the center of campus, where they have a lit fire and bang the drum all day long. Not to mention the procession through campus, where they wear their authentic Seminole Indian tribal jackets.

Oh, and for every Homecoming game, the members of Iron Arrow are down on the field and the team comes out of the tunnel and runs through a double-line of Iron Arrow members wearing their jackets.

Yeah ... certainly is a sign. I got my MBA at BC ... have been a Canes season ticket holder almost every season since 1990 ... and I was aware of the Iron Arrow society year 1 that I attended UM games. Kind of hard to miss just as a fan attending games ... let alone attending the university.

Agreed. But if the B1G wants to get into FL, FSU is who I'd be calling first, not us. They're a much bigger school and have a much larger alumni group and fanbase, which mirrors more closely the profile of B1G schools. It's also on the verge of achieving AAU status and has the same national rank academic rank as us in USNWR. At this point, I hope we get a B1G invite, but it wouldn't shock me to see us having to settle for a Big 12 invite, particularly if ND ends up joining the B1G and taking one of those valued slots.
TROLL

B1G is going to require AAU accredation for any new member, with the only possible exception of Notre Dame. AAU accreditation depends heavily on engineering and biomedical research. UM has a huge amount of biomedical research (one of best in the country in spinal injury research).

I think FSU has the least biomedical research of any public university in the state.

So even if you think they are a more attractive program nationally (they aren't), they have almost no chance of getting AAU accredited, so that also means no B1G.

From what I have heard, the AAU has recently changed its criteria to allow for more biomedical research, so UM should be able to apply and be accepted soon.

When I was applying to UM, that was the year (1985) that the University of Florida became a member of the AAU. Since that time, no other Florida university, private or public, has been extended membership.

I would imagine that we are comparable to Emory (1995) in being an urban private school with a comparable-sized student body and a heavy emphasis on medicine (for AAU purposes of analyzing the research work). I'd probably put Tufts (2021) in there as well as a comparable institution. I have no idea how we didn't get in during the 1985 class when Brandeis and Rice were given membership, those schools are even smaller than UM and can't possibly have the same dollar-level of research.

F$U's med school was created at a time when the Florida legislature was skeptical of adding more state-university professional schools like med and law, so F$U pitched it as "we're just going to produce practical doctors, we're going to serve the rural communities, we're going to have satellite campuses, not just a big wasted building in Tallahassee". So, yeah, there is NOT a lot of biomedical research going on at F$U's med school.

And this is my point about BigDaddyFakeCane and @ironarrow97 . If they really went to UM, and they are not 22, they would know the history of UiF and F$U, they would know what UM offers that those schools don't and vice versa.

I realize there are a lot of NON-alum UM fans on the board. All are welcome to be a part of this great Miami Family, but I also don't expect a NON-alum to know about this academics stuff or care about this academics stuff. It's sad when so-called UM alums, particularly one who seems to claim to be a member of UM's highest honor attainable, can so easily crap on Miami's academics and bona fides.

Advertisement

Technically you're an alumnus after finishing 9 credit hours at UM. That's straight from the alumni relations office, and he didn't say he graduated. Now that's not the story he's going with, and we all know he's full of ****, but that would be the only feasible way an "alumnus" wouldn't know about Iron Arrow.

Advertisement
Back