MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

This Twitter thread regarding Notre Dame and the ACC is interesting

I agree that of all the ACC schools, UNC and ND (quasi ACC) would be most desirable for the Big 2 conferences. Massive fan bases, huge markets, and good at both academics and athletics.

Advertisement
On a side note, I think it would be interesting for the SEC to explore inviting SMU into the conference. As you all know, this is a program that got the 'Death Penalty' for serious and constant cheating back in the 1980s. How are the Mustangs not already in the SEC? Is it because they got caught? 🤔
Okay if you say so
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

They cannot do what you are stating. The ACC teams cannot abolish the ACC and "form a new conference". ESPN would be all over that with litigation to maintain the GOR. Abolish the conference ... and individually LEAVE the conference to JOIN other conferences ? Yes ... that is the plan.
So they cant dissolve the conference and form a new conference witha new name and 20 teams?

No insight here, he is regurgitating what many outlets are saying (as usual).

Useless article.

Odd that the UM source says neither of the big 2 has extended an offer. I wonder if that is being carefully stated, as it doesn't necessarily mean that neither conference has reached out to UM to discuss the matter. Maybe they don't want to say there has been a formal offer because it could lead to lawsuits against the school and the poaching conference (and also possibly a lawsuit by Disney).

Also want to add that the performance based payouts are inherently stupid and destroy any semblance of parity. For some reason no sportswriter has picked up on this. It means the good programs will get considerably more money, which then puts them even further ahead of the bad programs. The bad programs need the money to get better facilties, recruiting budgets, etc to compete with the better programs. It's a pathetic capitulation by the really bad schools because they know they aren't likely getting an invite from the SEC or B1G, so they would rather bend over and take it from Clemsons and FSUs, (and hopefully soon, UM) so they can at least get their 40 million guaranteed. The good football schools should say no way- if they walk they can get 100 million per year, no matter what their record is. If they have a couple down seasons, they will still be financially on par with the other programs, whereas in the acc they will end up taking a massive pay cut.

It's a ridiculous conference model, which is why no other major conference does it that way. Of course, the people who proposed the idiotic model are also the idiots who years ago signed the GOR that gave away media rights until the year 3000, so I fully expect the acc teams to approve it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Odd that the UM source says neither of the big 2 has extended an offer. I wonder if that is being carefully stated, as it doesn't necessarily mean that neither conference has reached out to UM to discuss the matter. Maybe they don't want to say there has been a formal offer because it could lead to lawsuits against the school and the poaching conference (and also possibly a lawsuit by Disney).

Also want to add that the performance based payouts is inherently stupid and destroys any semblance of parity. For some reason no sportswriter has picked up on this. It means the good programs will get considerably more money, which then puts them even further ahead of the bad programs. The bad programs need the money to get better facilties, recruiting budgets, etc to compete with the better programs. It's a pathetic capitulation by the really bad schools because they know they aren't likely getting an invite from the SEC or B1G, so they would rather bend over and take it from Clemsons and FSUs, (and hopefully soon, UM) so they can at least get their 40 million guaranteed. The good football schools should say no way- if they walk they can get 100 million per year, no matter what their record is. If they have a couple down seasons, they will still be financially on par with the other programs, whereas in the acc they will end up taking a massive pay cut.
Or maybe neither of the 2 conferences are interested in adding us right now.

So they cant dissolve the conference and form a new conference witha new name and 20 teams?
No they cannot. It is necessary for CONFERENCES to have media contracts in order to be financially viable. They wouldn't have ESPN ... and the other major broadcast networks are tied in with deals with ... The Big 10, the SEC and the Big 12. Not happening ... not a snowballs chance in ****.

Obviously the devil is the details of either potential offer but I wonder where Rad himself would prefer if things are even remotely "equal"? B1G or SEC?

Pennsylvania guy but made his name in the South but then also bolted to return to Miami.

I'm thinking Patriot League.

Advertisement
No they cannot. It is necessary for CONFERENCES to have media contracts in order to be financially viable. They wouldn't have ESPN ... and the other major broadcast networks are tied in with deals with ... The Big 10, the SEC and the Big 12. Not happening ... not a snowballs chance in ****.
Even if they had other networks, as someone else said, if the league was formed again with the same teams (with new ones added or not) regardless of what they called it, ESPN wouldn't almost certainly sue and win.

Maybe if they reformed with only 8 of the original teams and 6 new ones (or something like that) they could get away with it, but I they definitely wouldnt get away with it if they looked even close to the same league as before they dissolved.

Even if they had other networks, as someone else said, if the league was formed again with the same teams (with new ones added or not) regardless of what they called it, ESPN wouldn't almost certainly sue and win.

Maybe if they reformed with only 8 of the original teams and 6 new ones (or something like that) they could get away with it, but I they definitely wouldnt get away with it if they looked even close to the same league as before they disdissolved
Yeah that would be an interesting alternative, and it would have to look something like you're suggesting. Dissolve the conference, trim the fat, create a new conference, name it Only Fans Brands and let's start selling bathwater winning football games

Advertisement
Why invite us?

For the B1G, because we're in Florida, one of the largest media markets in the country. And just a few years ago when we were decent, we were a top 5 draw nationally multiple times in a season.

The B1G will want to get into Florida. And we're the only big brand left in Florida that works with the B1G (FSU is just too dumb).

The SEC would invite us just to keep the B1G out of Florida permanently.

Edit to add: it's not about recruiting. The conference is worried about maximizing their contracts and the single biggest negotiated piece is media deals.

One of the largest media markets, but WE can't get people to games. As many Miami fans as there are in Miami currently, there's just as many UF and FSU fans, nevermind all the other schools transplants watch. If you're going to pull for a team, you don't need be near it, you can watch any game anywhere in the land anywhere. What you need now is fans.

FSU isn't some weak *** brand. It's nowhere near what we were when we were balling out, but I think our hardcore fans (on this board and those still around off of it) don't realize how far removed we are from those past glory years. The Big, SEC, etc are already here. Recruiting is national.

The SEC, if they want us it won't be because the Big wants us. They already have a huge presence in our area. They're already poaching the elites and second tier recruits like never before. They don't need to invite us anymore than the big does, they're already here.

Lastly, sort of covered your last piece. Taking is doesn't add a lot of viewers as things currently stand. Our ratings suck unless we're playing a big name opponent. You can barely find us on television, even missing from the ACCN at times. That's not attractive to conferences.

We want an invite, we better step out game up on the field. We're doing it off of it, trying to on it. Otherwise there's no reason to have us.

Last edited:
The SEC, if they want us it won't be because the Big wants us. They already have a huge presence in our area. They're already poaching the elites and second tier recruits like never before. They don't need to invite us anymore than the big does, they're already here.

SEC would be interested in UM only because it would c[BGCOLOR=initial]0ckblock the B1G and keep the B1G from taking over S Fl recruiting. That's fine by me, I don't care if their reasons arent altruistic as long as we get into one of the big 2.[/BGCOLOR]

Advertisement
I’m going to blindly give credit to Dan Rad for throwing that clause in there when we slept with the enemy that is Notre Dame

As you know, everything is negotiable and contracts can be broken. But if the momentum that is happening with Big Ten right now… connecting the dots Notre Dame is included in the grand realignment plan, partially due to comply with the subject Clause
Even with that, I think they'd be free to leave and join new conference in football, the ACC GOR would technically only apply to their non Football sports still.

Ask one of these Philly ****heads that are big Philly sports fans, but not tied to a PA college football team like Penn State or to a lesser extent Temple…

Semi-sarcastically to bust their balls but also they may have a similar perspective as a masshole..
Frfr, I hate Pedo State.
Never liked em, never will I hope manny drops that program to G5 level, and eff you.
My guy

😂😂😂

Last edited:
Even with that, I think they'd be free to leave and join new conference in football, the ACC GOR would technically only apply to their non Football sports still.

That’s incorrect. That was the trade off to allow Notre Dame to have a conference to play in during covid. If you recall the acc was the first conference to commit to playing games in 2020

What I don’t know is what penalty Notre Dame would have if they didn’t abide by this clause

It sounds like they are playing along with acc currently

Advertisement
Back