MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

The original grant of rights deal was insanely dumb, but then the ACC doubled down by making the terrible Notre Dame deal. Remember, ND had NO OTHER OPTIONS to play sports during the covid year, the conference had all the leverage otherwise ND is playing maybe 2 games in football. That was when you force them to join as full members or get left out of playing games, and at the time who knew how long it would go on. Instead, now ND can get their $60m+ football deal from NBC AND they still get over $10m a year from the ACC for their other sports, making that $70m they're looking for to stay independent. It's so ridiculous how much the ACC bent over for Notre Dame while holding all the leverage.

Advertisement
The original grant of rights deal was insanely dumb, but then the ACC doubled down by making the terrible Notre Dame deal. Remember, ND had NO OTHER OPTIONS to play sports during the covid year, the conference had all the leverage otherwise ND is playing maybe 2 games in football. That was when you force them to join as full members or get left out of playing games, and at the time who knew how long it would go on. Instead, now ND can get their $60m+ football deal from NBC AND they still get over $10m a year from the ACC for their other sports, making that $70m they're looking for to stay independent. It's so ridiculous how much the ACC bent over for Notre Dame while holding all the leverage.

"Yeah, but eventually we're gonna get Notre Dame to join the ACC for football and all of our problems will be solved"

GIF by Kim's Convenience

I don't think you could have force ND to do anything when they were under contract with NBC.

Advertisement
Our very own Radakovich was at Clemson when it happened. And he was even part of the playoff selection committee from 2014-2017. So he had a lot of influence.

And actually it wasn't a bad deal at the time. The problem with it is it's length..20 years? How shortsighted and dumb to sign a 20 year deal and not have some kind of protection to ensure it grows with market conditions. Should have had a clause that guaranteed the deal distributed at least 80% of the most valuable league or something like that so we'd never be too far behind.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. Clemson should’ve been in the position to ask for certain concessions as they were/are the marquee program.

I’m just wondering why our media hasn’t pressed Radakovich about that and what has he learned since being a part of that terrible deal.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Clemson should’ve been in the position to ask for certain concessions as they were/are the marquee program.

I’m just wondering why our media hasn’t pressed Radakovich about that and what has he learned since being a part of that terrible deal.
Does the AD ultimately make that decision or is it the University President? Is it possible Rad wanted to explore other options but the President said no we are staying put?

Rad has been strangely quiet since this latest round of realignment and media deals. The FSU president is chirping but nothing is coming out of Miami. I wonder what their thought process is right now.

I don't think you could have force ND to do anything when they were under contract with NBC.
Yeah this. ACC has zero leverage on ND. Threatening to not schedule games would do nothing. They'd just find other opponents, or go join the B1G.

Advertisement
Yeah this. ACC has zero leverage on ND. Threatening to not schedule games would do nothing. They'd just find other opponents, or go join the B1G.
From what I have read they don't need to join any conference with the new media deal being finalized. They will get $60 million a year, remain independent, and will have several games with the BIG 10 ... there were no details mentioned but part of the 7 games not committed to ACC opponents would be with the BIG 10 and broadcast by the BIG 10 media partners Fox / CBS / NBC. The new media programming / contract might be starting in 2023 ... but definitely 2024.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Should be interesting. Normally this stuff happens behind the scenes in secrecy. This could be Oregon pushing for this much more than the Big Ten having a desire to add the Ducks.
Don't be so sure about that.
Having more than two teams on the west coast will help when setting up the schedule and travel for those Los Angeles teams.

Advertisement
Back