MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

The story leaked before it was 'officially' voted on, but by the time it gets to a vote, it is a formality. I highly doubt that 4 teams could have been already voted on and accepted w/o word getting out. I also don't think they would want to self sabotage their media days as if they announced this, it would be the only thing the media talks about; I would think they rather wait until after the publicity that comes with a media days to make any announcements.
it always leaks a day before the vote or so. Like you said p, it’s a formality when they vote. usc ucla started the big 10 talks years before it happened

Advertisement
I’m such a traditionalist when it comes to sports, especially CFB. Agree w/ u; unfortunately, The NCAA leadership is not on par w/ the NFL leadership. A lot of the anarchy we’re seeing is due to the NCAA’s incompetence & negligence.

However, I do feel not all is lost. These realignments will either reignite or re-establish past rivalries across the board.
Part of it is that the ncaa doesn’t really control p5 football. The conferences do and they just all agree to abide by ncaa rules and regs.

The story leaked before it was 'officially' voted on, but by the time it gets to a vote, it is a formality. I highly doubt that 4 teams could have been already voted on and accepted w/o word getting out. I also don't think they would want to self sabotage their media days as if they announced this, it would be the only thing the media talks about; I would think they rather wait until after the publicity that comes with a media days to make any announcements.
better than talking about the Jimbo vs Saban blood feud…

And is it self sabotaging when you are announcing you trumped the Big10’s move?

better than talking about the Jimbo vs Saban blood feud…

And is it self sabotaging when you are announcing you trumped the Big10’s move?
My point is that they can get all of their normal press and excitement that comes with media days and then they can one up the big10 later.

Advertisement
If the SEC and B1G stay pat for a while. And, the ACC somehow convinces ND to join (add Stanford as well or whatever it takes to get them) would the ACC somewhat survive this?
I know this is highly unlikely. I’m just thinking outside the box as I’m concerned about Miami being left out of those 2.

If the SEC and B1G stay pat for a while. And, the ACC somehow convinces ND to join (add Stanford as well or whatever it takes to get them) would the ACC somewhat survive this?
I know this is highly unlikely. I’m just thinking outside the box as I’m concerned about Miami being left out of those 2.

I would imagine ND stays pat for awhile too

Unfortunately ND holds the cards for further realignment

I do think the SEC is going to be butt hurting ND goes B1G. That might make the B1G stay in front of theSEC when it comes to TV money. I know the SEC would still be traditionally stronger. But I’m talking TV money here.

Advertisement
I would imagine ND stays pat for awhile too

Unfortunately ND holds the cards for further realignment
Yeah, they won’t do anything for a bit. Eventually they’ll join the B1G because the money will just be too great. They’re getting less from TV money than ACC teams already. Even if they negotiate a deal with a new tv partner to pay them $40-50 mil a year, they’re still going to be making less than half what the B1G and SEC will pay out, and that gap will only widen. Eventually, that kind of financial disparity will overcome the desire to stay independent and cause even Notre Dame to join a conference.

It would at least make the dollars much closer. Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening. Like you, I am concerned of Miami being left out as well.

I hope Cribby and Boarcane are right.

ACC needs ND, ND doesn’t need the ACC. Don’t think there is a scenario where ND joins it

Any school waiting on Notre dame is a pipe dream. I think the next wave of realignment will actually be teams wanting out of their current conferences to form a new one and trim out the dead weight of their conferences. If these members negotiating the media contracts are assigning each team a projected value, you need to reach out to the top 16 teams not in the sec and big 10 and form a new conference. If you get enough schools on the ACC and Pac 12 to end their conference you could hope to form a third better conference than those two. Would take some
Major players involved but would need to form a 16 team league taking major markets with a national appeal. Stanford cal Washington oregon Miami Florida state Clemson Virginia UNC Baylor Colorado Duke Syracuse Notre dame Arizona State and Georgia Tech would be a 16 team conference that would compete with the Big 10 and SEC. I think trimming some
Of those schools that are not driving major revenue is the next phase of this IMO. There’s no positive to adding other schools now. Form their own.

Advertisement
Yeah, they won’t do anything for a bit. Eventually they’ll join the B1G because the money will just be too great. They’re getting less from TV money than ACC teams already. Even if they negotiate a deal with a new tv partner to pay them $40-50 mil a year, they’re still going to be making less than half what the B1G and SEC will pay out, and that gap will only widen. Eventually, that kind of financial disparity will overcome the desire to stay independent and cause even Notre Dame to join a conference.
The inevitability of this and all the lost money in the interim ackshully should have the media and their own fanbase ridiculing Notre Dame's leadership.....but the media is lazy and everything surrounding the Irish is drenched in delusion and arrogance.

That said, I can almost understand their hesitancy too because the moment they join a real conference is a moment closer they get to being exposed as wayyyyyy less special a program (and possibly a school) than we've be led to believe for the last 100 years.

Last edited:
The inevitability of this and all the lost money in the interim ackshully should have the media and their own fanbase ridiculing Notre Dame's leadership.....but the media is lazy and everything surrounding the Irish is drenched in delusion and arrogance.

That said, I can almost understand their hesitancy too because the moment they join a real conference is a moment closer they get to being exposed as wayyyyyy less special a program (and possibly a school) than we've be led to believe for the last 100 years.

They’re special treatment from the media and NCAA is due to stop. Freeman is not a bad coach, but not ready for that level of school.

I

They’re special treatment from the media and NCAA is due to stop. Freeman is not a bad coach, but not ready for that level of school.

I
Agreed and watch them blame their potentially impending mediocrity on having joined a conference too.

The reason I say they're afraid of being exposed as an institution too is because even if they join the SEC there will still be an instant loss of prestige. Vandy is a better school and will still be THE flagship academic institution of that conference.

If they join the B1G? Northwestern is a better school, UCLA is essentially equivalent and USC is in your neighborhood. This doesn't even address the threat of Stanford joining AND having athletic success again.

I'm not so filled with hatred of them to not acknowledge that they do have a national brand and are a fine academic institution but I think they're in more of a lose-lose situation here (at least in terms of their long term image) than being in the catbird seat like the media is trying to tell us.

Advertisement
Any school waiting on Notre dame is a pipe dream. I think the next wave of realignment will actually be teams wanting out of their current conferences to form a new one and trim out the dead weight of their conferences. If these members negotiating the media contracts are assigning each team a projected value, you need to reach out to the top 16 teams not in the sec and big 10 and form a new conference. If you get enough schools on the ACC and Pac 12 to end their conference you could hope to form a third better conference than those two. Would take some
Major players involved but would need to form a 16 team league taking major markets with a national appeal. Stanford cal Washington oregon Miami Florida state Clemson Virginia UNC Baylor Colorado Duke Syracuse Notre dame Arizona State and Georgia Tech would be a 16 team conference that would compete with the Big 10 and SEC. I think trimming some
Of those schools that are not driving major revenue is the next phase of this IMO. There’s no positive to adding other schools now. Form their own.
I definitely agree with your thinking, but I would just have a different 16.

Miami, FSU, Clemson, UNC, NC State, Vatech, G Tech, UVA, OK State, Baylor, Houston, SMU, Arizona, Arizona State. Pitt, West Virginia.

Agreed. They’re playing it smart. They know they can join any conference whenever they like, but as long as they have access to the playoff and can kock tease the ACC into some extra loot, there’s no need to hop right this second.

Agreed and watch them blame their potentially impending mediocrity on having joined a conference too.

The reason I say they're afraid of being exposed as an institution too is because even if they join the SEC there will still be an instant loss of prestige. Vandy is a better school and will still be THE flagship academic institution of that conference.

If they join the B1G? Northwestern is a better school, UCLA is essentially equivalent and USC is in your neighborhood. This doesn't even address the threat of Stanford joining AND having athletic success again.

I'm not so filled with hatred of them to not acknowledge that they do have a national brand and are a fine academic institution but I think they're in more of a lose-lose situation here (at least in terms of their long term image) than being in the catbird seat like the media is trying to tell us.

If Notre Dame wasnt connected to the catholic religion they’d have a lot less fans today.

Lou Holtz and Brian Kelly are giant turds

God I hate them

Advertisement
Back