MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
100 percent of the country doesn’t trust their neighbor
One of my neighbors considers himself a significant Maryland booster. Dude got legitimately offended when I made a joke once about Scott Milanovich betting on games.

F*cking weirdo. This is why Len Bias did drugs.

Was talking w/ a SC fan at a bar about this; ironically we had the same idea:

-B1G adds ND, Stanford, Cal

-B12 adds UO, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona St

-SEC adds FSU, GT, Clemson, Miami

-ACC combines w/ remaining PAC-12 schools & reorganizes the conference name to American or Athletic Coastal Conference (since teams will be bordering the Pacific & Atlantic Oceans)

The only hiccup was that 4th team for B1G.

Either way, it’s a great time to see all this play out. I was too young to appreciate conference re-alignments yrs ago, so I’m going to enjoy all of this to see the moves.

-ACC combines w/ remaining PAC-12 schools & reorganizes the conference name to American or Athletic Coastal Conference (since teams will be bordering the Pacific & Atlantic Oceans)

Either way, it’s a great time to see all this play out. I was too young to appreciate conference re-alignments yrs ago, so I’m going to enjoy all of this to see the moves.
I don’t think Oregon gets left out of the big 10 and not sure GT goes to sec. What about Louisville, North Carolina, Virginia joining either the Big Ten or the SEC? I guess it really doesn’t matter as long as Miami ends up in the SEC or the Big Ten. That’s all I care about.

Advertisement

Missing Washington being joined with Oregon - whether to B12 or B10. Think Washington is definitely more appealing than the Arizona schools or Colorado.

Most importantly, I think UNC is far more desirable than Cal to the B10. I'd actually say it's not even close. Now you could say Stanford and Cal are a pair. I think the B10 would absolutely do what they could to add UNC and UVA to go along with ND and Stanford though. If they want to add Cal they can also snag Duke, and be at 22.

That makes the B10 by far the best Academic+Sport conference in the world. In terms of endowment nationally, they'd have #3, #9, #10, #11, #13, #17, #22, #24, #25, #26, #30, #32, #33, #34, #38, #39, #58, #68, #86 (Rutgers), #92 (Indiana), #101 (Nebraska), and #165 (Maryland). Thats 37% of the top 40. Though The Funny thing is before the additions of UCLA/USC, 3 of the last 4 additions were Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska - which after all this realignment, probably are dragging down the conference. Like eliminating those 3 and adding the 3 you said plus UNC+UVA would be a MAJOR improvement.

Missing Washington being joined with Oregon - whether to B12 or B10. Think Washington is definitely more appealing than the Arizona schools or Colorado.

Most importantly, I think UNC is far more desirable than Cal to the B10. I'd actually say it's not even close. Now you could say Stanford and Cal are a pair. I think the B10 would absolutely do what they could to add UNC and UVA to go along with ND and Stanford though. If they want to add Cal they can also snag Duke, and be at 22.

That makes the B10 by far the best Academic+Sport conference in the world. In terms of endowment nationally, they'd have #3, #9, #10, #11, #13, #17, #22, #24, #25, #26, #30, #32, #33, #34, #38, #39, #58, #68, #86 (Rutgers), #92 (Indiana), #101 (Nebraska), and #165 (Maryland). Thats 37% of the top 40. Though The Funny thing is before the additions of UCLA/USC, 3 of the last 4 additions were Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska - which after all this realignment, probably are dragging down the conference. Like eliminating those 3 and adding the 3 you said plus UNC+UVA would be a MAJOR improvement.

The reason Stanford & Cal were mentioned was 2 fold:

1. That locks up the entire California media market, &

2. Their Academic rankings & rivalry both in sports & academics

In regards to UNC, UNC is closely tied to Duke & Tobacco Rd. I think there’s too much history there & would be more in favor of being the leaders of a new conference vs. an addition to. But certainly, UNC fits both the academic & athetics requirements of the B1G & seeing SC & UCLA bolt, anything is possible. Just can’t see UNC splitting from Duke & vise versa, & I don’t see The B1G interested in Duke, although Duke has a very fine athletic dept outside of Football.

Regarding The B12, Colorado was already a member b4 bouncing to the PAC-12. Utah, too, would be a great choice b/c of BYU & that rivalry. The Zona schools r in the footprint of The B12, so that’s y they were mentioned.

However, if the PAC-12 & ACC can merge & create a more lucrative deal (albeit it won’t be on the same levels of the B1G or SEC), I can see feasibly the Pacific NW schools staying put, along w/ Tobacco Rd.

Again, it’s so many moving parts to look fwd to in the next coming yrs. A lot of dialogue, scenarios r being discussed. I think once the shock of UT/OU & UCLA/SC settles in, we’ll see more planning vs. panic.

-I think the B12 survives w/ no problem & they’ll expand no doubt.

-I think it’s a foregone conclusion FSU, Clemson, & Miami are a packaged deal to the SEC & GT will probably go back home.

-I think it’s going to be forced upon ND to join The B1G

The remaining ?’s will be, will UCLA/SC vouch for their Northern CA rivals to come on board? Can the PAC-12 & ACC merge as duo mega conference w/ it’s remaining teams? Do the PAC-12 or ACC fold like a house of cards, w/ their entire conference becoming the 2020’s version of the SWC?

They have about 2 yrs to thoroughly vet this. I love it, all, honestly. As long as we’re in a good spot, I’m good w/ all of it.

The reason Stanford & Cal were mentioned was 2 fold:

1. That locks up the entire California media market, &

2. Their Academic rankings & rivalry both in sports & academics

In regards to UNC, UNC is closely tied to Duke & Tobacco Rd. I think there’s too much history there & would be more in favor of being the leaders of a new conference vs. an addition to. But certainly, UNC fits both the academic & athetics requirements of the B1G & seeing SC & UCLA bolt, anything is possible. Just can’t see UNC splitting from Duke & vise versa, & I don’t see The B1G interested in Duke, although Duke has a very fine athletic dept outside of Football.

Regarding The B12, Colorado was already a member b4 bouncing to the PAC-12. Utah, too, would be a great choice b/c of BYU & that rivalry. The Zona schools r in the footprint of The B12, so that’s y they were mentioned.

However, if the PAC-12 & ACC can merge & create a more lucrative deal (albeit it won’t be on the same levels of the B1G or SEC), I can see feasibly the Pacific NW schools staying put, along w/ Tobacco Rd.

Again, it’s so many moving parts to look fwd to in the next coming yrs. A lot of dialogue, scenarios r being discussed. I think once the shock of UT/OU & UCLA/SC settles in, we’ll see more planning vs. panic.

-I think the B12 survives w/ no problem & they’ll expand no doubt.

-I think it’s a foregone conclusion FSU, Clemson, & Miami are a packaged deal to the SEC & GT will probably go back home.

-I think it’s going to be forced upon ND to join The B1G

The remaining ?’s will be, will UCLA/SC vouch for their Northern CA rivals to come on board? Can the PAC-12 & ACC merge as duo mega conference w/ it’s remaining teams? Do the PAC-12 or ACC fold like a house of cards, w/ their entire conference becoming the 2020’s version of the SWC?

They have about 2 yrs to thoroughly vet this. I love it, all, honestly. As long as we’re in a good spot, I’m good w/ all of it.
I agree with what you're saying, but at the end of the day money talks. And this isn't like rejecting a couple million - which would be a drop in the bucket for a lot of these top schools we're talking about (why ND has been fine staying independent thus far, even though they'd make more being in a conference). Staying in an ACC (or even ACC/PAC merger) Without Miami/FSU/Clemson/USC/UCLA would be legit like a $60M/yr difference from joining the B10 if not More.

Ultimately I think the PAC will die, while the ACC survives. The ACCs media deal is only actually bad for the desirable schools that the SEC/B10 would want. For the other half of the conference, it's good. Plus I do believe there should be a difference between the ACC and B12. I think the thing that won't happen but would be really good in all the realignment talk is for the SEC and B10 to actually lose some schools, not just add 3-6..
Something like this would be solid imo:
1658020891847.png

I agree with what you're saying, but at the end of the day money talks. And this isn't like rejecting a couple million - which would be a drop in the bucket for a lot of these top schools we're talking about (why ND has been fine staying independent thus far, even though they'd make more being in a conference). Staying in an ACC (or even ACC/PAC merger) Without Miami/FSU/Clemson/USC/UCLA would be legit like a $60M/yr difference from joining the B10 if not More.

Ultimately I think the PAC will die, while the ACC survives. The ACCs media deal is only actually bad for the desirable schools that the SEC/B10 would want. For the other half of the conference, it's good. Plus I do believe there should be a difference between the ACC and B12. I think the thing that won't happen but would be really good in all the realignment talk is for the SEC and B10 to actually lose some schools, not just add 3-6..
Something like this would be solid imo:
View attachment 199045

I like it, a lot actually. I agree w/ u, & this format makes too much sense. It’ll also bring back some sort regional semblance, along w/ conference fit. Since it makes “too much sense” it ain’t happening. Lol.

Advertisement
I like it, a lot actually. I agree w/ u, & this format makes too much sense. It’ll also bring back some sort regional semblance, along w/ conference fit. Since it makes “too much sense” it ain’t happening. Lol.
It's too far gone now and I guess I'm showing my age, but this situation is depressing to me. So many traditions and rivalries are going to fade away. I do agree that having over 120 teams in the FBS is too much, but they could have gotten the Power 5 together, negotiated a TV deal that all 5 conferences benefited from, and created their own division of college football with a national champion for the 70 teams. I mean, if the NFL can negotiate as one entity for the overall health of their sport and they are for-profit organizations, why shouldn't the Power 5 conferences do the same as supposedly non-profit organizations?

If ND wants in, they either join a conference or take a 1/70th portion of the deal like everyone else. ****, Miami could go back to being an independent in such an agreement.

Anyway, that is not happening. So, let's go SEC or Big 10 for an invite or we're up a creek without a paddle.

Advertisement
It's too far gone now and I guess I'm showing my age, but this situation is depressing to me. So many traditions and rivalries are going to fade away. I do agree that having over 120 teams in the FBS is too much, but they could have gotten the Power 5 together, negotiated a TV deal that all 5 conferences benefited from, and created their own division of college football with a national champion for the 70 teams. I mean, if the NFL can negotiate as one entity for the overall health of their sport and they are for-profit organizations, why shouldn't the Power 5 conferences do the same as supposedly non-profit organizations?

If ND wants in, they either join a conference or take a 1/70th portion of the deal like everyone else. ****, Miami could go back to being an independent in such an agreement.

Anyway, that is not happening. So, let's go SEC or Big 10 for an invite or we're up a creek without a paddle.

I’m such a traditionalist when it comes to sports, especially CFB. Agree w/ u; unfortunately, The NCAA leadership is not on par w/ the NFL leadership. A lot of the anarchy we’re seeing is due to the NCAA’s incompetence & negligence.

However, I do feel not all is lost. These realignments will either reignite or re-establish past rivalries across the board.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Did USC/UCLA announce they were going to Big Ten or did the conference make the announcement?
The story leaked before it was 'officially' voted on, but by the time it gets to a vote, it is a formality. I highly doubt that 4 teams could have been already voted on and accepted w/o word getting out. I also don't think they would want to self sabotage their media days as if they announced this, it would be the only thing the media talks about; I would think they rather wait until after the publicity that comes with a media days to make any announcements.

Advertisement
Back