MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

He paints a VERY dark scenario for Miami (and for every ACC program) tbh.

Basically, the GOR is unbreakable (just because no one had publicly tried to break it? Mmm) and ACC teams are stuck with a conference that in a couple of years will be a glorified G5 compared to the money B1G and SEC will make.

It looks that the only doable way out is that 50% or more of the ACC teams leave at the same time.
Just keep in mind that he is mostly giving his opinion of how he perceives things. He doesn‘t know any more than guys like Thamel, McMurphy, or Dodds.

Advertisement
I find the argument that the ACC is going to become irrelevant a pointless one. If the conference actually does become irrelevant then you'll easily find 8 teams to dissolve it. Nobody is going to sit around in a dying conference and schools like Miami, Clemson, and FSU aren't going to let Syracuse or NC State prevent them from making millions.
As the ESPN guy said, you have to find a home for 8 teams. Not that easy.

I agree that it won't be easy. But he is making a lot of assumptions though, especially regarding the amounts. I suspect he's getting his numbers from the ACC who wants to make it look as bad as possible (and I'm sure it is bad).

First, I believe the GOR is per use with the agreement with espn. If that agreement with espn goes away or is voided, I don't believe the acc can enforce it. The question becomes why would espn do this. The only reason would be if wspn can make more money with the SEC and dissolving the acc network. Personally, I don't believe the acc network, even with its favorable deal, is making espn a whole lot.

Second, he doesn't believe 8 teams can leave the acc. The big 10 and sec can easily take 5 to 6 teams from the acc - miami, Clemson, fsu, NC, ncstate, uva, Duke, are all potential candidates for those conferences. The remaining teams, plus Pitt, VT, Louisville, etc would probably fair better, and get a better deal, if they leave to whatever the new pac12/big 12 conference will be. Without an acc, the acc cannot enforce the agreement. This would likely be the easiest and cheapest scenario

The ACC teams will be able to do the same approximately in 2032/2033. A decade from now.

Mario has two years to win it all LOL
yeah thats what basically hale said. the earliest without the ultimate move (8 plus teams leave and find a home which is the hardest part bc realistically, there are only 4 ACC schools that bring value) is waiting for a decade. its a ugly picture that was discussed in the thread but its pretty realistic. not all other schools situations were like ours w the GoR. Pac 12s was set to expire soonish too I believe. it makes it a lot easier to leave.

I agree that it won't be easy. But he is making a lot of assumptions though, especially regarding the amounts. I suspect he's getting his numbers from the ACC who wants to make it look as bad as possible (and I'm sure it is bad).

First, I believe the GOR is per use with the agreement with espn. If that agreement with espn goes away or is voided, I don't believe the acc can enforce it. The question becomes why would espn do this. The only reason would be if wspn can make more money with the SEC and dissolving the acc network. Personally, I don't believe the acc network, even with its favorable deal, is making espn a whole lot.

Second, he doesn't believe 8 teams can leave the acc. The big 10 and sec can easily take 5 to 6 teams from the acc - miami, Clemson, fsu, NC, ncstate, uva, Duke, are all potential candidates for those conferences. The remaining teams, plus Pitt, VT, Louisville, etc would probably fair better, and get a better deal, if they leave to whatever the new pac12/big 12 conference will be. Without an acc, the acc cannot enforce the agreement. This would likely be the easiest and cheapest scenario
eh its 3x annual revenue plus the buyout fee. hes giving you the average of what it likely would be. its really not that absurd what hes using lol. 3x our annual revenue last year and do the math yourself. it comes close

Advertisement
maybe there is another path. I do think it will be three league super conference's. As is now, there's 2-4 schools in each conference (SEC, Big10, ACC) that carry the conference.

If ACC is to remain they need to re-negotiate TV deal with new terms & add teams. ND is the obvious, and even though geographically not in line, the big schools like Oregon in the pac, maybe a cincy or MD.

but why would the SEC want NCSU, Duke, UVA if they dont bring real value? Duke also may not want the SEC since they're more basketball focused and the SEC isnt. Duke fits in with the b10 w academics and basketball, but B10 already has their crap football team in RU that they may not want to add another and basketball doesn't make up for it.

maybe there is another path. I do think it will be three league super conference's. As is now, there's 2-4 schools in each conference (SEC, Big10, ACC) that carry the conference.

If ACC is to remain they need to re-negotiate TV deal with new terms & add teams. ND is the obvious, and even though geographically not in line, the big schools like Oregon in the pac, maybe a cincy or MD.
hale got into the ND thing. they actually have a contract with the ACC that says they have to join the ACC for football if they join a conf. they dont want to join the ACC for football. they're gonna wait it out till they find a better home. ND isnt gonna be in the conf for football.

ESPN put money into developing the ACCN and coming to terms with diff carriers to get their network aired. they're not gonna just blow it up now.

Advertisement

Thank you. An interesting read.

Unfortunately the options look to be few in number. Frankly, the only hope is to get ND on board as a full member and see what other big timers can be pulled in.

The ACC is locked into its TV deal. It can't be renegotiated unless there are membership changes. So, even if ND's 5 game arrangement goes away, it won't affect the TV deal since they aren't football members. Why not just tell them it is untenable for the ACC to keep ND as members without also being football members as well? Just put all cards on the table. Remind them that the ACC gave them a lifeline in 2020 and now the conference needs them.

They will probably tell the ACC to pound sand, so kick out their basketball, baseball, etc. and let them go play in the Big East or whatever.

Unfortunately the options look to be few in number. Frankly, the only hope is to get ND on board as a full member and see what other big timers can be pulled in.

The ACC is locked into its TV deal. It can't be renegotiated unless there are membership changes. So, even if ND's 5 game arrangement goes away, it won't affect the TV deal since they aren't football members. Why not just tell them it is untenable for the ACC to remain members without also being football members as well? Just put all cards on the table. Remind them that the ACC gave them a lifeline in 2020 and now the conference needs them.

They will probably tell the ACC to pound sand, so kick out their basketball, baseball, etc. and let them go play in the Big East or whatever.

they'll tell ACC to kick rocks lol. the b10 will lsnatch up the other sports in hopes ND will join on in football later on down the line. ND also has their football rights up for the market soon and that helps them even more.

why would Maryland leave the big 10 to go back to the ACC? they make more money, they already battled it out with the ACC to leave before. Cincy joined the b12 and will start when UCF starts I believe. I see the b12 poaching the pac schools.

The ACC is locked into its TV deal. It can't be renegotiated unless there are membership changes. So, even if ND's 5 game arrangement goes away, it won't affect the TV deal since they aren't football members. Why not just tell them it is untenable for the ACC to remain members without also being football members as well? Just put all cards on the table. Remind them that the ACC gave them a lifeline in 2020 and now the conference needs them.

Jim Phillips, the ACC commissioner, did exactly that after that season without a clear answer.

Basically, ND ****ed the ACC and they will probably do it all over again when they will leave for the B1G or simply stay put.

Advertisement
Jim Phillips, the ACC commissioner, did exactly that after that season without a clear answer.

Basically, ND ****ed the ACC and they will probably do it all over again when they will leave for the B1G or simply stay put.
ACC ****ed the ACC. This is all on them. ND played them like the suckers that they are.

but why would the SEC want NCSU, Duke, UVA if they dont bring real value? Duke also may not want the SEC since they're more basketball focused and the SEC isnt. Duke fits in with the b10 w academics and basketball, but B10 already has their crap football team in RU that they may not want to add another and basketball doesn't make up for it.

It doesn't have to be Duke, uva, etc. But there could be easily a combination if 5 teams leaving to those two conferences. A few more teams get better deals to another conference and the ACC is essentially dead.

With regards to NC state, i might be in the minority, but actually think they are a good fit for the SEC, assuming unc goes to the big 10.

I think the SEC and big 10 will end up at at least 18 teams each, if not 20.

It's about expansion of cable markets to increase pay out to the SEC and Big 10 networks. With UT and aTm, Texas is already covered. Are you thinking Big 10? Baylor to Big 10 is inconceivable as is Ok State.
That's true. If that's the case, a guy like Dave Aranda will be poached by one of the teams with a seat at the new P2 table.

Wouldn't be shocked AT ALL if FSU makes a run at him. If he can win at Baylor, he can win at FSU

Assuming FSU gets an in invite along with us, Clemson, UNC.

Advertisement
I hope he is not accurate at all, that guy is mainly an ACC reporter if I'm not mistaken so there's that.

He’s an ACC reporter but not employed by the ACC. Meaning, he has a lot of connections in the league and knows it’s inner workings, but offers realistic opinions. Hale is a smart guy and has been around the conference for a long time. If he thought the league was on the verge of implosion, he’d say it. He is clearly much more pessimistic that there will be a mass exodus than a lot of us are hoping.

Advertisement
Back