MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

We're not in the SEC now and our recruiting is going amazingly well. Why would it destroy recruiting if we played in the other big conference?
It's really all about the TV payout. Eventually we wouldn't be able to keep up with a 50mm differential in TV money payout. Our disadvantage will only grow. We've been very fortunate to have not only Cristobal and rad but also ruiz which in my opinion has helped tremendously.

Advertisement
Pac-12 trying to make the partnership with the ACC happen. The ACC is trying to see how they can just grab Oregon, Washington, Stanford, and Cal without voiding the current grant of rights contract (they can't)

Exactly what I have been saying. Can't those schools void their contract, though? From what I understand from reading a few articles, if a certain amount of schools leave, the grant of rights contract can be voided.

Pacific Atlantic Coastal Conference

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 7.06.50 PM.png

This, of course is an option if we can't get out of the ACC

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some good analysis done in this video.

Here are the accompanying slides: LINK
Here are 2 more slide decks from the same consultant TJ Altimore: Fanbase Size - - - Realignment

As far as fanbase sizes go now, if you go by the numbers in the deck, UCF isn't even on the same planet as the ACC schools outside of future non power conference schools BC, Duke and Wake Forest. The Big XII lost 58% of their pre-2010 fanbase even after adding West Virginia, TCU, BYU, UCF, Houston and Cincinnati.
Miami would be middle-third in the SEC as far as fanbase size and ahead of 10 other schools in the Big Ten even after USC and UCLA join.

Advertisement
Disney squashed the rumors today.

Could be this change of plans is linked to the football realignments. If Disney knows the SEC is about to expand into new TV markets, it might have changed their financial projections for espn.
Hmmm as I said earlier Good find

Advertisement
The Grant of Rights contract leans more into employment law, and operates very similarly to a Non-Compete agreement that employers often ask key employees to sign.

When there is a lack of consideration within the contract as well as restriction of an employee in earning fair market compensation, there is a very strong precedent to scale back the terms if said agreement, and in some cases void the contract in its entirety.

The big lynch pins for Miami are:

1. Big ten announcing their new tv deal in the next couple weeks
2. NIL and more flexibility for athletes to get paid. This is the other point that I feel Miami and Clemson will lean heavily into should it go the legal route. This would be text book to argue an over reaching employment contract.

My money is on either Espn and acc jointly and actively courting ND to join acc versus letting ND go to rival fox and the bigten or carving out an easy path for Miami / Clemson and maybe a few others to go to SEC and combining the PAC12 and acc leftovers

Exactly what I have been saying. Can't those schools void their contract, though? From what I understand from reading a few articles, if a certain amount of schools leave, the grant of rights contract can be voided.

View attachment 196667

Exchange TCU for SMU and it would be better IMO.

Advertisement
Here is the way I see it.
The SEC is the strongest but the B1G did close the gap adding the LA schools. And they can immensely close the gap more if they can get ND. Adding Miami in addition to ND would really help the B1G with a strong foothold in south Florida. Now, the SEC is not going to sit and see what happens next. Think about this though. What if the SEC nabbed ND? That would be huge as it seems like ND is B1G bound eventually.
I’d be shocked if ND went to the SEC. Total mismatch in all areas.

It's really too bad college football has come to this point and how selfish each program has become as they promote themselves as "non-profit" institutes. Imagine if instead of each conference negotiating its own TV deal, they negotiated a TV deal together. Like the Big10 and PAC 12 negotiating one TV deal for its members, the TV networks would get NYC, DC markets, the midwest, and the west coast (including LA, the Bay Area, and Seattle), plus Phoenix.

Yes, individual schools may not get the $100 million a year they are discussing now, but it would be close. It would also give stability to the conferences and keep traditions alive that are being threatened now. The ACC, SEC, and Big 12 could do something similar.

****, if the Power 5 all worked together, they could negotiate multiple TV deals that all members could partake in, like the NFL has done. It's not pure capitalism, but these are supposedly non-profits. When greed starts to take away from the traditions, competition, and history that all make college football arguably the best sport in the country, it just sucks.

And f ND, they put the ball in motion over 30 years ago when they went out and got their own deal. Make them join a conference or get their own deal which will be miniscule in comparison to the deals the conferences could negotiate together.

I feel like some of you are better with pictures.

View attachment 196486
P

View attachment 196667

If you were to extract Miami, Clemson, ND, plus any two of the Confederate state schools—which presumably will happen in the coming weeks—then the remaining schools should rebrand as the Conference of Residuals from Atlantic to Pacific, i.e. the C.R.A.P.

Advertisement
Back