MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I have to wonder if those draconian terms are even enforceable. And to what end to you hold everyone against their own will. The ACC relationships are going to get ugly if a solution isn’t found.

Whatever happened to those “look ins” the television agreement had to ensure the compensation stayed competitive? Guess that was BS to help sell it to the public/fans?
Contracts are made to be broken

Advertisement
Apparently Dennis Dodd reported it would take $500 million to leave ACC
Approx $40mm a year times 13 years is where that number comes from. It’s not a real figure, without going in depth into contract law. If it ever got to that point, a negotiated buyout in the range of $150mm to $200mm is my best guess. Which is based upon the delta between what acc and in theory the big10 would be paying

Advertisement
Apparently Dennis Dodd reported it would take $500 million to leave ACC

ACC: Dennis, will you carry some water for us?

Dennis:

Clean Water Recycle GIF by NRDC

Approx $40mm a year times 13 years is where that number comes from. It’s not a real figure, without going in depth into contract law. If it ever got to that point, a negotiated buyout in the range of $150mm to $200mm is my best guess. Which is based upon the delta between what acc and in theory the big10 would be paying
That’s why I think this drags out for awhile until the market resets once the new BTN contract and annual payment gets established. From a contract law standpoint, this is critical to Miami’s case to reduce any type of buyout

Advertisement
Even if it is $500mln. Seems like a settlement is possible. I think it could be negotiated down but $500mln/14 years = $35.7mln/yr

Let’s say the settlement is “we’ll keep you whole basis what your (ESPN/ACC) would have paid us….”

$100mln - $35.7mln = $64.3mln. Then a windfall in 2036….

I know this sounds out there, but does the SEC really need FSU if they get Miami? If the SEC has UF and Miami, FSU probably dies. I guess the B1G could snatch them up to try to make inroads into FL, but I am not quite convinced they would. FSU succeeding while being a member of a 1000 mile away conference while being surrounded by UM, UF, UGA, BAMA, AUB, etc all in a dominant SEC might be too much to ask for. Why give up another slice of the pie if you don't think a program has a great future? Recency bias could hurt them as well.

Just trying to game out different scenarios, not taking a stand here.
It’s not guaranteed but I think there’s a significant possibility FSU dies on the vine here. They picked a terrible time to have several consecutive losing seasons. Teams are only being added to the super conferences if each individual program can grow the pie larger for everyone else. UNC and Miami can do that, given the recognition, brand power, and general program trajectories.

FSU fan base is apathetic at this point. I think it’s a hard sell that it’s needed by the SEC once Florida and UM are in the fold. BIG could come in but it’s an even bigger risk for them.

In both cases they’re *certainly* not growing the pie for everyone immediately. It would be a bet that they would grow it in the future after turning it around, but their issues are obviously deep, and they lack the natural metro advantage of Miami and duplicate Gator coverage. If they don’t get into a super then they get way less money and fall even further behind, killing the program most likely.

I’m here for it lulz

Advertisement
Advertisement
Too far behind to know if someone already asked this, but will this help the baseball program as well? All that extra cash and maybe go to full scholarships.

Too far behind to know if someone already asked this, but will this help the baseball program as well? All that extra cash and maybe go to full scholarships.
It’s not a university level choice. NCAA standard that has been set unfortunately

My personal opinion - the fact that no crazy leaks nclude Miami means we are in serious conversations and on the way out. It's the Mario situation all over. You only leak information if you want to get a reaction or try to move the needle in your favor. You don't leak anything when you actually want to get a deal done. Miami is as good as gone from the ACC.
At least we know Epstein has no involvement in any of this. Otherwise, the leaks would be out there.

Advertisement
Back