MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

My single biggest concern with joining the SEC is that we'll be treated like the red headed stepchild by the conference. We know that happened in the ACC, but the potential is there for it to be much much worse.
You're not wrong and I have that concern, too. However, most of our downfall had more to do with self-inflicted decision-making than conference bias. If we hadn't been so cheap from the moment we entered the ACC, if we invested in facilities and coaches, we'd be right there with Clemson and then we aren't the red-headed step child, but seen as a cash cow. Cash cows get more favor than cheap programs. I feel having Rad, Mario, and an administration now investing in the program that that makes a big difference.

Advertisement
Don’t mean to get side tracked. Not looking to debate which other schools might join Miami in moving conferences.

As a frequent gambler, Miami to SEC is most definitely the favorite outcome.

Also, as someone that deals in legal documents every day and has several friends that are lawyers, there are giant holes in the Grant of Rights from a monetary and consideration standpoint. This situation has more layers than an onion when you consider espn owns acc and sec networks, with Miami simultaneously investigating multiple scenarios, one of which is negotiating out of the GOR agreement.

Ding ding ding! You said the magic word.

"Consideration."

My single biggest concern with joining the SEC is that we'll be treated like the red headed stepchild by the conference. We know that happened in the ACC, but the potential is there for it to be much much worse.
I agree with the worry.. but what would of happened if Miami came in and dominated the ACC like they were hoping we would do??? I do think we got treated that way, because we didn't live up to the hype they thought they were getting with miami...

Think money talks, and if Miami can make big waves in the big 3 sports, they'll have to treat us decently.
Yup. Winning goes a long way.

Let's be honest, no-one gives a **** about playing Kentucky, Missouri, Vanderbilt, USC, Arkansas or Miss St. Ole Miss is only interesting because of the Lane Train.

Miami too big of a brand and TV market not to get in one. Not worried about that. Best option is SEC. Need to consider other sports as well and travel for those.
THis right here is what I have been saying. THe financial gain from joiing the B1G would be watered down with all the travel, especially for the other sports

Ding ding ding! You said the magic word.

"Consideration."

The billion dollar question is how much incentive does espn have in keeping the acc network going, at its current level.

If they play hardball Miami and Clemson for sure leave, maybe other schools get included. Which would basically render the network to being a basketball driver. Sure they might get Miami and Clemson to pay hefty buyouts but it guarantees the conference will never sniff the CFB playoffs, and viewership/revenue decline.

I can guarantee you there is a lot of tough dialogue going on. I hate Notre Dame and I hate that their decision will impact Miami

Advertisement
The billion dollar question is how much incentive does espn have in keeping the acc network going, at its current level.

If they play hardball Miami and Clemson for sure leave, maybe other schools get included. Which would basically render the network to being a basketball driver. Sure they might get Miami and Clemson to pay hefty buyouts but it guarantees the conference will never sniff the CFB playoffs, and viewership/revenue decline.

I can guarantee you there is a lot of tough dialogue going on. I hate Notre Dame and I hate that their decision will impact Miami
The whole ESPN thing is interesting. They own both ACC and SEC Network. So if ACC teams want to go to the much more valuable SEC, could ESPN just waive the payouts since they still maintain those teams' broadcasting rights? Would it be more beneficial long term to a) get more eyeballs on SECN and 2) dissolve the ACCN and all the expenses that go along with that?

Advertisement
The whole ESPN thing is interesting. They own both ACC and SEC Network. So if ACC teams want to go to the much more valuable SEC, could ESPN just waive the payouts since they still maintain those teams' broadcasting rights? Would it be more beneficial long term to a) get more eyeballs on SECN and 2) dissolve the ACCN and all the expenses that go along with that?

Yup.

BigTen Network and their FOX tv deal somewhat forces Espn to have fair conversations with Miami and clemson. That would be espn’s nightmare:

Miami and Clemson join big ten, which basically sinks acc network

Yup.

BigTen Network and their FOX tv deal somewhat forces Espn to have fair conversations with Miami and clemson. That would be espn’s nightmare:

Miami and Clemson join big ten, which basically sinks acc network
It would also have a ripple effect on the remaining schools. UNC and UVA would likely find a home, but then what happens with ACC basketball if it's primarily Duke at that point? It's all quite fascinating to watch. Probably a nightmare if you're a smaller school with little to offer.

Has anyone figured out if eight schools want to leave, does it implode the TV deal? Or does ACC officially have to dissolve?

Advertisement
I think UNC could be the primary SEC target above all others.
VPI would be the better target than UVA. Bigger alumni base in the DMV. Hard to pick up UVA on radio in DMV. Local picks up VPI not UVA. Big Ten has Maryland and 1/4 of PSU alums are in DMV.

I wonder if basketball would factor into UNCs decision much more than it would at most other schools. UNC is also a departure from the SECs norm of wanting schools in backward a$$ hicktowns.
No. it would fit with flagship state university model.

Advertisement
Key Questions: Do you think the SEC would want 3 universities in Florida? Yes, all 3 would effectively lock down the state as 100% SEC territory, but do you think they'd rather use a spot to get into a new area altogether (NC, VA, etc)?

If you think they only want 2, why do you think they would want the Canes over FSU? I would argue Miami gets left out as FSU fits their profile better. Public school, large stadium, large number of students, etc. I think Vandy is the only private school in the SEC. With Florida and FSU, they would get about half of the Miami market with all their alumni down here.

I do hope they would go for both schools as I'd love to see Florida on the schedule EVERY year again. Whatever happens, hopefully we end up in one of the big 2 conferences.
A state with 22 million and growing everyday? **** straight they would.

Man, FSU…. Like Miami years ago, just let the golden goose walk out the door. Then again, the end of that Jimbo run things were getting a little loose.

The South Florida market is another area I need some education. With all of the UF and FSU alums in South Florida, is that market covered? I am making an assumption so take it as such.

At the end of the day, I am glad the commitment was made and I personally feel way better about realignment than I did a few short months ago. I Appreciate the insight.
Large UF and FSU alumni base but Miami is the capstone program in SFL. That isn't changing.

Last edited:
No problem, sir.

I actually added a couple of sentences after you responded talking about the ACTUAL playing of games. If the SEC only added F$U, then the only games that the SEC (as a rivalry or as a conference on the whole) plays in Florida would be in Hogtown and Talla-*******-hassee (plus Florida-Georgia in Jax).

However, if you add Miami to the SEC, you bring the SEC to South Florida in a PHYSICAL way. All the SEC teams would eventually get to play IN FRONT OF South Florida fans, not just on TV.
And they travel incredibly well. You are assured sellouts of conference home games.

Advertisement
Back