MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Not to mention Shalala was instrumental in starting UHealth, which has turned into a cash cow for UM and is a big part of why football is getting the funds now it never has before.
Puleeeze.... UHealth was the reason why we put UM athletics on skim milk diet including the football program... it was a horrific white elephant that nearly sunk the University...
Save the history rewrite.... the troll was poison with her PC pushing agenda for everything

No matter what happens, it could always be Blake James worse.
Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

Advertisement
To be fair, having some sort of Championship in Vegas that is being proposed between the two Conference Champions would help a bit when it comes to credibility.

An undefeated team/ One loss team that wins their Conference and wins against the other Conference would be on good footing to say they deserve a chance at the B1G or SEC in some sort of postseason.
I now believe we're headed toward a 12 team playoff so you're definitely right in that this should help the winner of the hypothetical Vegas Championship Bowl get in.

I just don't think it's an attractive or even viable option for us and Clemson and a few other ACC teams and it probably needs Washington and Oregon to remain in the Pac-10 to work.

CBB does not make revenue at the gate or via TV. The $15 Vandy makes on baseball doesn't justify the amount of money Vandy takes home in TV revenue as a member of the SEC. Basketball and football are the only revenue producing sports. And whereas basketball certainly makes money, how much revenue is dwarfed by football.

Time for schools to put on their big boy pants and understand that of they aren't doing one of 2 things, they are a drag on the revenue sharing in college football. And of these 2 factors, #1 is more important than #2.
1. Attract viewers in a major TV market. Not just be in a market like NYC, but actually attract viewers.
2. Play competitive football. This matters but even if Utah is competitive, who cares as no one outside of the 1 million people living in Utah watch the Utes.

I can almost guarantee u schools like Duke, Vandy, UK, UCLA, will be just fine where they are b/c of other factors they bring in to the conference. Teams like Nebraska & Rutgers, who offer chit in all sports should be talked about.

Puleeeze.... UHealth was the reason why we put UM athletics on skim milk diet including the football program... it was a horrific white elephant that nearly sunk the University...
Save the history rewrite.... the troll was poison with her PC pushing agenda for everything
**** near every entrepreneur who ever made it big almost went bankrupt (and some actually went bankrupt) before they made their millions.

To you, I suppose that classifies them as failures.

Advertisement
I was on my lunch break just now and was bored so I started working on some possible realignment scenarios. Once you start looking at the teams, I do not see how the ACC makes it out of this alive (which is well known). As well, Power 3 makes more sense than Power 4. At some point the Pac 10 and Big 12 are going to need to join up. I ran four possible scenarios. Obviously they are not perfect as I spent maybe 30 minutes, if that, on them. Teams highlighted in yellow are from G5

Scenario #1 "Power 5" - Conservative: Expansion stops due to high buyouts, ND holding things up etc.
View attachment 196222

Scenario #2 "Power 3" - Scenario I see most likely happening. Could easily sub Memphis and SMU for San Diego St and UNLV. I put in UNLV and San Diego St because they both are in attractive TV markets and play in new stadiums.
View attachment 196224

Scenario #3 "Power 4"
View attachment 196225

Scenario # 4 "Power 3 #2" - Notre Dame remains independent and schools in the same state are forced to move conferences together like Oregon and Oregon State which has been rumored as a possible hiccup.

View attachment 196228

There will not be conferences with 18 or 22. It will be 16 or 20 or 24. You need it for scheduling reasons.

Last edited:
Ignore this ACC/PAC talk. We are heading for a new conference. The combination of additional TV money and additional money from ticket sales and our own stadium are the selling points. Based on what I've heard, we will find out within the next 2 - 3 weeks where we are heading and it will be paired with the announcement of a new stadium and the new facilities following shortly thereafter.

Ignore this ACC/PAC talk. We are heading for a new conference. The combination of additional TV money and additional money from ticket sales and our own stadium are the selling points. Based on what I've heard, we will find out within the next 2 - 3 weeks where we are heading and it will be paired with the announcement of a new stadium and the new facilities following shortly thereafter.
Post more!

Advertisement
223C6A42-2C5F-4D90-A1B3-CA9EC79265D9.gif

I don't think the ACC or PAC12 can survive this, but merging the two conferences gives them hope. It's the only shot they have. It creates all the benefits discussed in the article and creates a mega conference that can get up to 24 teams (that's the new benchmark number) and renegotiate with East and West Coast draw.

If they're not talking about this right now, they're asleep at the wheel. But I'm pretty sure everyone here can agree to that fact already.

Advertisement
6A69B403-A148-4BFC-8BB5-0F08D63FF303.gif

I think you are right but I do think the conversation needs to occur.

(Apologies in advance for the long response)

I’m not sure if I read this or heard it on one of the talking head shows, but one suggestion was if the ACC & PAC-12 go belly up, schools like Stanford, Cal, Duke, Vandy & WF should tag on to the Ivy League to bring back notoriety there. The Focus would strictly be on D-I Baseball, Basketball, T&F, Water Sports, & de-emphasize FB by playing at the FCS level.

A lot of theories r being thrown out. However, I just want to remind the board, as I reminded another board, what we’re seeing today is nothing new. Back in the day, we had the Big East, WAC, Big 8, SWC, PAC-8.

Once upon a time the SWC was a power conference for yrs, & poof, they went in to obscurity.

The Big 8 became The B12, and then the Big 10 yrs later, although keeping the name as Big 12.

The $EC raided the Independent circuit for USCe, and the SWC for Arkansas, just to raid the B12 for Mizzou & TAMU several yrs later.

The Pac 8 started off w/ Cal, SC, WASU, UDub, UCLA, Stanford, UO, ORSt, just to poach AU & ASU from The WAC, and then yrs later, Utah from MWC & Colorado from the B12

B1G expanded from the Great Lakes region to the Far East, poaching Maryland from The ACC, Rutgers from the Big East, Penn St from the Independent Circuit, & now to the far West poaching UCLA & SC

ACC absolutely destroyed The Big East capturing us, BC, Pitt, & VT

Here’s my point; these merges, take overs, defections, foldings, however u want to classify it, they've been happening for yrs. It’s funny b/c I’m pretty sure I was one of, if not the first, to make the statement that CFB have always been about the have & have nots, & now that terminology has caught on & used all over. The fact is, this is all circular; it’s just w/ the type of capital involved, along w/ “market evaluations” placed on certain conferences, it’s become magnified x 100.

Imo, a lot of this was bound to happen, & I mean everything.
-U have the NCAA w/ one of the worst leaders doing absolutely chit as a Governing Body, allowing a cesspool brew w/ NIL.

-U have under qualified conference commissioners playing jacks, while other commissioners r seeing trends, playing chess.

-U have an ACC Commissioner who was the Blake James of P5 Commissioners absolutely handcuffing his conference to a bogus contract when we had the Kryptonite to Bama in Clemson, & two sleeping giants in Miami & FSU who had CFB by the nuts in their glory yrs.

-U have an indecisive PaC-12 Commissioner who couldn’t even make a decision on playing Football during Covid.

As I’ve stated, my little cousin works for ESPN, specifically on the NBA side. However, he’s privy to info as a producer. We just had lunch & he said it was inevitable for this to happen b/c it’s better for the networks. Instead of ESPN/Fox paying $1b for this conference, $250m for this conference, $300m for that conference, why not pay $1.2b for one conference w/ 20 teams? It’s a win/win; schools who were getting paid $17-20m or $45m are now getting $60m+ annually, while ESPN/Fox is saving $300m+/yr.

He also said, if The PAC-12 is not providing a CFP representative consistently, why pay? If the PAC-12 championship game has no bearing on CFP implications, why pay? If the ACC is sending only one team, where that title game is only a dress rehearsal for said team, then y pay? He did say, however, that our contract was dumb b/c we did have negotiating power w/ Clemson being a top dog in CFB & Duke/UNC being top dogs in b-ball. Of course I taught him well, which is, don’t sign chit for over 10 yrs UNLESS that Louis Vuitton Duffle Bag is being thrown at u.

All in all, it’s going to be a very interesting next couple of yrs. I live by the model of being proactive vs. reactive, and the best silver lining in all of this is we have an AD who’s just that, proactive.

I was listening to a podcast where three guys were discussing the changing landscape in conference alignments ... the topic of the ACC and the GOR was tabled and one gentleman who was located in Charlotte said "The GOR agreement with the ACC is MALLEABLE. It includes a variety of PERFORMANCE CLAUSES and some of the agreements (apparently different schools have different agreements?) include a COMPETITIVE REVENUE CLAUSE. According to that ... if a program is receiving LESS in TV money from the ACC than SIMILAR PROGRAMS or lesser programs in other conferences, then they have the ability to leave the conference without penalty. You can be sure Radakovich is aware of every sentence in the UM and Clemson agreements and is working with the UM legal staff to be in a position to exercise whatever rights UM has. Interesting.

I know of a good lawyer - down in Miami!

Advertisement
Back