MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

The thing is, however you value those schools, they are going to be worth a lot less and very soon. The will suddenly be at a major financial disadvantage compared to B1G/SEC schools on every level. Facilities, exposure, schedule. recruiting budgets, etc. But none of that will matter as 97% of the top 1000 players are going to want to go to B1G/SEC schools because the disparity will be massive which will dilute their product so much you almost won't recognize it.
Sounds like you’re describing the book of Eli for CFB.

If that conference does happen they’ll have a chance to compete initially given recent success, NIL, and the transfer portal, but almost everything has to perfectly align for them to not turn into what you described. If Oregon joins the big 2 it’s over.

Advertisement
Lol; Bro, every school is not a football school. Duke is an elite Nat’l Power in B-Ball, just like UK, UCLA, UNC. When those schools have success in CFB, that’s a bonus, but their bread & butter is b-ball. Vandy is a Nat’l Power in Baseball.

I know we’re hyper focused on football, b/c football is king, but these conferences are making money off more than just football. The revenue driven sports are CFB, NCAAB, & CBB. Those help fund the non revenue driven sports. So, absolutely a Duke, Vandy, UK, UCLA all have a place in these super conferences. Matter of fact, they just talked about how UCLA will help the B1G in NCAAB, not so much in CFB.
CBB does not make revenue at the gate or via TV. The $15 Vandy makes on baseball doesn't justify the amount of money Vandy takes home in TV revenue as a member of the SEC. Basketball and football are the only revenue producing sports. And whereas basketball certainly makes money, how much revenue is dwarfed by football.

Time for schools to put on their big boy pants and understand that of they aren't doing one of 2 things, they are a drag on the revenue sharing in college football. And of these 2 factors, #1 is more important than #2.
1. Attract viewers in a major TV market. Not just be in a market like NYC, but actually attract viewers.
2. Play competitive football. This matters but even if Utah is competitive, who cares as no one outside of the 1 million people living in Utah watch the Utes.

Not to mention Shalala was instrumental in starting UHealth, which has turned into a cash cow for UM and is a big part of why football is getting the funds now it never has before.

Lot of irony here. She got slaughtered over UHealth. She did not understand CFB was changing. Mixed report card, but overall she gets good grades IMO. C or D for Athletics though.

Advertisement
Lot of irony here. She got slaughtered over UHealth. She did not understand CFB was changing. Mixed report card, but overall she gets good grades IMO. C or D for Athletics though.

in terms of athletics, I blame the BOT more than anyone else. Julio doesn't know football either or college athletics. it almost went south for him too. the newer BOT members wisened up and got this ship started

Think AAU is mostly about being a "research university." How many research grants, contracts you have. Could be wrong in that.
Yes, and graduate education. Doctoral training university, etc. Most universities with a medical school will have lots of grants. Miami has several centers of excellence, e.g., Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. They get lots of grants. UM is also tops in marine biology. That comes with lots of research grants also.

The idea that Miami and Clemson are tied at the hip because our AD came from there, seems based on very faulty logic at best. Has any outside source said that?

Advertisement
Yes, and graduate education. Doctoral training university, etc. Most universities with a medical school will have lots of grants. Miami has several centers of excellence, e.g., Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. They get lots of grants. UM is also tops in marine biology. That comes with lots of research grants also.
As an alum, makes me proud. So ... as I said elsewhere, wonder why UM hasn't applied?

The idea that Miami and Clemson are tied at the hip because our AD came from there, seems based on very faulty logic at best. Has any outside source said that?
Not just that our AD came from there. The current AD at Clemson is a good friend of Radakovich and the "source" of the comment that they are working together is an 'inside' source. These things begin with low profile back channel discussions ... not publicizing via outside media.

I’d do it.

The idea of just running off to the SEC still makes my stomach turn.

Plus there’s a chance the B1G only wants to add Notre Dame & then stand pat; the SEC in my estimation would really only want Clemson for Football & maybe UNC for BBall, but otherwise I don’t think they really want every straggler team to come join their cabal. Not saying Miami is a straggler team, but what I mean is I don’t think SEC is necessarily holding up a “Come one, come all!” sign for everybody.

If we can keep our leverage & still put something together without having to completely sell out to the SEC I’m all for it.

I get the financial part of it being the primary driving force, but there’s other ways to get a lucrative TV deal without simply joining the two Empires. I think the Pac-12, Big XII & ACC would be smart to find alternatives rather than just acquiescing to surrendering to the SEC & B1G.
I don't like it either. But money is money. $100mil per year? No university is turning away from that when they're currently in the $30m/year range.
There aren't enough "big programs" left to even get close to the annual revenue we'd get from joining the SEC or Big10.

There's plenty of large media markets available still that aren't a part of the SEC or Big10 footprint, but I'm just not sure which programs they root for or if they watch college football at all.

Advertisement
If we join the SEC, I think it will only be a matter of time before they pass a "Ruiz Rule". You are right that salary caps are a no go, but there are other ways we can get screwed. For example, the NIL deals have to be "fair market value." The conference leadership could constantly challenge Ruiz's NIL deals and say he is paying over FMV so the player won't be eligible, while giving the collectives a pass. They could say that a Lifewallet deal for 8 million for a 4 star QB is far above his FMV, but that a Tennessee collective deal for a 5 star QB in the amount of 10 mil accurately reflects his FMV. Even if they allow for an appeal and ultimately allow the Ruiz deals, they could still kneecap UM by dragging their feet and scaring recruits, who know that NIL deals from Miami supporters will be challenged.

Sec could also ***** UM by claiming a Ruiz deal is an "inducement" to attend UM and thus violates the NIL rules. Of course they will say the same deal for a player going to Bama wouldn't be an inducement because Bamas program is so attractive that recruits would play for Bama for free.

SEC wants UM to be good, but not so good it starts winning the conference consistently and knocking off the blue bloods.

As another poster said, the SEC will claim it is only trying to ensure that NIL deals are legitimate and they aren't intentionally screwed Miami. It's the fig leaf of legitimacy.
Recruits reserve the right to decline NIL money but just like the re-alignmet of conferences....... it's all about the Benjamin's

It's by invitation. Have to be invited.

It's a bit ridiculous is what it is. Florida has ONE university in the AAU. I mean, they just invited Dartmouth, you know, after 250 years. They've invited 8 schools over the past 25 years.

1657146272138.png

Advertisement
Oh good lord what a dopey post.

She hired Blake James. Yep.

It is also well-documented that the oversized fake-fundraising check from Nevin Shapiro was a surprise move that Donna didn't expect.

And thanks for telling us that the UHealth system that Donna acquired "had zero to do with her". Shalala started cutting costs at UHealth in 2012, but please keep deluding us into a false story about the turnaround having "zero to do with her".

You want to hate her, that's on you. Just don't lie and say that she "sold Miami to the ACC".
No disrespect to her but if she were still calling shots we'd be negotiating a contract for the debate team to get more TV revenue

It's by invitation. Have to be invited.

And requires 3/4 approval. If not trying to join B1G, not much point for a school prez to spend time lobbying the AAU schools to send an invitation. If they send the invite, great. It's probably worth the membership. If they don't send an invite, it's not worth putting a lot of effort into it. If the B1G does want UM, I think we easily fit the criteria for an AAU school.

Advertisement
Back