MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Maybe TC/SMU. Between basketball and football, the TV package and audience is there. 2/3 of CA market, Texas, Kansas and Missouri and NW. Fawk it, give me UW and WSU too!!
What The Hell Reaction GIF by CBS

Advertisement
The league isn’t nearly as “against us” as it is for the Tobacco Road members. There will be much less of that in the SEC.
Idk...everyone knew Bama, UGA, and LSU does whatever it takes to sign elite recruiting classes. And if they beat one another, they were all good with it.

But once Ole Miss started beating Bama and taking players from the Big 3, the SEC came to the rescue of the Big 3.

I'd think we wouldn't be embraced in the SEC. Would much rather we go to the B1G but I do agree that we likely end up in the SEC.

Tell tell sign if we go to the SEC is which division they place us in. SEC East will mean they'll give us a fair shot...SEC West means they will treat us like Ole Miss & Freeze when we start beating the Bamas etc.

I'll eat crow on this one, so save for bump material, but I GUARANTEE Texas goes SEC East and OU goes SEC West. Texas is the $$$ maker so they can preference.

Idk...everyone knew Bama, UGA, and LSU does whatever it takes to sign elite recruiting classes. And if they beat one another, they were all good with it.

But once Ole Miss started beating Bama and taking players from the Big 3, the SEC came to the rescue of the Big 3.

I'd think we wouldn't be embraced in the SEC. Would much rather we go to the B1G but I do agree that we likely end up in the SEC.

Tell tell sign if we go to the SEC is which division they place us in. SEC East will mean they'll give us a fair shot...SEC West means they will treat us like Ole Miss & Freeze when we start beating the Bamas etc.

I'll eat crow on this one, so save for bump material, but I GUARANTEE Texas goes SEC East and OU goes SEC West. Texas is the $$$ maker so they can preference.

Divisions are finished unless talking about pods

Conf will be 16, 20 or 24 with pods

Advertisement
While I'm hopeful we can exit to greener pastures soon, the economics of it have me thinking it's going to be later.

The four big time players who recently moved were able to get out for a fraction of the number I've seen floated around for us.

Rad is definitely going to earn every cent of his salary negotiating these waters.

Possibly, but we're not really a cultural fit, are we?
No. But neither is USC with the Big10 I guess.

We are now just finally trying to inflate the tire that Shalala blew out on purpose. We will have a few years to get right before any joining of the $EC, but next to UGA, Alabama, LSU, and the like.....we will be second fiddle without the goliath state funding.

Again, not in any way preferable to me, but it may be absolutely necessary.

I wonder how much extra juice joining the SEC would give us in recruiting. Small difference or would a lot of recruits who like UM but want to play in a better conference want in?

Advertisement
I can overlook the GOR signing (though it should be noted that the SEC doesn't obligate the schools to the conference, they stay because they make a lot of money). You are right that it was hard to foresee the conference shifts in 2013. But it wasnt unforeseeable in 2020 when the ACC bent over for ND and let it join the acc for one season and leave. ND was desperate, everyones dance card was filled up and they couldn't even fill out their schedule. Playoffs were a non possibility. That is when an ACC Commish with brains would have put the screws to ND and told them "Join the conference or f#ck off. It's this or cancel your season." (btw Blake James is on record saying he was happy to have ND join for one season, but he appreciated ND needed to do what's best for itself and the ACC wasnt going to push ND to become a full time member) .

Not forcing ND to join was the ACC effectively signing its own death warrant. Everyone knew conferences were stealing programs from each other. It should have been obvious to the ACC that it wasn't going to survive if ND somehow bailed for another conference, but they decided to take their chances. Now its pretty much over for the acc.

Big 10 - no grant of rights
SEC - no grant of rights
Pac 12 - 10 year grant of rights, expiring 2024
Big 12 - 10 year grant of rights, expiring 2025

ACC - call me in 2036...

Let’s say the SEC/B1G get $120MM after their new additions. The ACC is stuck @ $30MM until 2035. That’s without any further TV bumps before 2035 for the SEC/B1G. That’s more than a $1B difference. If UHealth is really getting $600MM then we have the $ and it makes sense financially to move.
Bro, they wouldn't even have to take money out of UHealth. Maryland left at a negotiated $100 mill. Negotiate the buy out, take home $100 mill per year, split the payments to 50% and Miami STILL makes more money then what they're making now with the ACC.

See below for some commentary from Feldman on this. Sounds like everyone's waiting for ND to make a decision before the dam breaks with everyone else. I gotta think Rad right now is working in securing our spot with one of the 2 remaining power conferences.

Advertisement
See below for some commentary from Feldman on this. Sounds like everyone's waiting for ND to make a decision before the dam breaks with everyone else. I gotta think Rad right now is working in securing our spot with one of the 2 remaining power conferences.

Just for the chaos it would spark, I would love to see ND make the unexpected decision to join the ACC full time. They don't like the Big 10 and not a cultural fit for the SEC. Currently, it seems money is not their biggest issue since they currently make less per year than ACC full timers (even with their own football TV deal). If the ACC gets ND in the fold, it could lead to some unexpected partnerships. I could see Cal and Stanford getting invites as an example.

Just for the chaos it would spark, I would love to see ND make the unexpected decision to join the ACC full time. They don't like the Big 10 and not a cultural fit for the SEC. Currently, it seems money is not their biggest issue since they currently make less per year than ACC full timers (even with their own football TV deal). If the ACC gets ND in the fold, it could lead to some unexpected partnerships. I could see Cal and Stanford getting invites as an example.
I would welcome that scenario, we would need the conference to be strong enough to be comparable to the sec/big. That way we can have equal footing when negotiating playoff spots or tv contracts. If ND gets in the boat I would not be opposed to adding Oregon and Washington. I think a conference of ND-Clemson-Miami-FSU-Oregon-Washington would be strong enough to be on equal footing. Given the precarious situation Oregon/Washington find themselves in I think they'd take the life raft. The key for this scenario is obviously the irish though.

Self preservation at all costs. ***** everyone else. Get into the best conference with the biggest payday possible. We don’t care about nobody except this U!

Advertisement
Right now it's what a team can actually bring to a the Big10 or SEC under the super conference model. Some current members are going to be pushed out as they have nothing to offer (think Mizzou & Vanderbilt in the SEC) possibly leaving door open for Clemson & UM etc.

Feels a little NFLesque moving to two mega conferences. Even the NFL has divisions to sort some of the playoff picture for for us. Will divisions be geographic footprints? Bowl games would seemingly be conference games at the end of the season.

Advertisement
Back