MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

You are a funny, insecure dude. Your "proof" of Michigan having more fans in Florida than Florida State is Michigan has been a coed institution for 200 years.....50 years before CFB was even a sport? lol With that logic, watch out for all the Ivy League fans down here! lol

You want to prove me wrong, show Michigan alumni numbers residing in Florida vs. Florida State alumni numbers residing in Florida in 2024. I'll do the work for you. The number of FSU alumni in Florida was 217,316 as of 2020.

https://ir.fsu.edu/Factbooks/2019-20/Alumni_County.pdf

Now, according to this article in the Ann Arbor News, there were 16k Michigan alumni living in Florida in 2013.

https://www.annarbor.com/news/where-u-m-alumni-live/

I realize 10 years ago was a long time ago so I'll let you even triple that number so 48k vs. 217k? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Good lord, you're dopey.

The original comment by @Rickd was about Michigan alums AND FANS. You have conveniently chosen to ignore "fans".

You clearly have not spent any time on the west coast of Florida or Central Florida. Tons of Michigan fans. Former Michigan residents. Michigan snowbirds. The snowbirds from Michigan rent car carriers to bring their cars down for the winter.

I could post a picture of some close personal friends of mine, the wife used to be the lead meterologist on the Orlando NBC affiliate. Take a guess what the entire family was wearing, even though the kids are not in college yet.

But thanks for your useless stats on "alums".

Advertisement
Good lord, you're dopey.

The original comment by @Rickd was about Michigan alums AND FANS. You have conveniently chosen to ignore "fans".

You clearly have not spent any time on the west coast of Florida or Central Florida. Tons of Michigan fans. Former Michigan residents. Michigan snowbirds. The snowbirds from Michigan rent car carriers to bring their cars down for the winter.

I could post a picture of some close personal friends of mine, the wife used to be the lead meterologist on the Orlando NBC affiliate. Take a guess what the entire family was wearing, even though the kids are not in college yet.

Well, ****, you didn't tell me you have close personal friends that are Michigan fans....and the former lead meterologist on the Orlando NBC affiliate no less? I stand corrected.

ricky gervais laughing GIF
bobs burgers grasping at straws GIF

My in-laws had a time share in Ft. Myers Beach for decades, went there plenty of times over the past 20 years. Yes, many Big 10 fans, some Michigan fans amongst them. Anywhere near the number of FSU fans? No.

I'm sure if the Michigan game TV ratings were greater than FSU's TV ratings in Tampa, Orlando, Sarasota, Naples, pick one, pick anyone, you would be plastering them all over on here, but since I'm hearing nothing but crickets and personal anecdotes, my guess is you've got nuttin.

Your troll game is strong though brother, much respect.

Only adding this as a reference to a graphic in his tweet on how many times Miami has drawn peak audience numbers the last 7 years while sucking. Rank 23 overall for hitting 3m+ - think if it this way new sec and BIG will have 34 total members. In a down time we are still higher than 10 of them. Matchups will help. Winning will help. Winging bug would leapfrog Miami with matchups into top 10 if you comp against when we were good.

Good lord, you're dopey.

I need to apologize to everyone ... I should reword my comment ... "there are most likely as many or more B10 fans in the State of Florida as there are FSU fans ... and the number is growing each year. ie ... a new PUD in Daytona Beach for 10,000 homes ... which is 25,000 people .... on the West side of I95 and CR40 ... and that will be 95% B10 fans moving into the region. **** ...

Advertisement
It seems presumptive to me that fsu wants out of the ACC since there is only speculation as to where they would land. Also, speculation that others will follow. The SEC and BIG are loaded with teams so what if they don't get an invite? I assume that the powers that be have all this figured out but what if fsu leaves and no one follows and no one wants them? Again why is fsu blaming the ACC for them not going to the playoffs? It wasn't their decision that left them out. I have to guess it is only about the money. If so many teams are threatening the ACC why can't the ACC renegotiate their TV contracts, after all what is the existing contract worth if everyone bails out? With the added teams to the ACC will that add to the TV revenue? Another curious item will be scheduling, would the ACC let fsu play Miami or any other ACC team?
It would amuse me if fsu got out of the ACC only to find themselves as independent with no major conference interested in another addition plus no conference revenue and a difficult situation scheduling as these enormous conferences have to eliminate some of their out of conference scheduling.
I like us in the ACC with or without fsu, but only if they figure out a way to increase revenue that allows teams to compete with the SEC and BIG.

Not familiar with this??

Siap

Anyone mention that ND isn't part of this B1G/SEC group?

Very interesting to me
??? Not sure what you mean ... the two conferences getting together to form and advisory group and evaluate the future of college football? That is a matter for CONFERENCES. As far as interest BY the Big / SEC .... Notre Dame could join either conference with one phone call. Conventional wisdom has ND getting closer to the B10 soon ... either actually joining or at the very least doing a scheduling agreement with the B10 similar to the ACC deal. Could actually bail from the ACC agreement and replace it with a B10 agreement. I personally hope they decide to remain independent for the next 5 years or so at least as the B10 appears to only want to add two more programs in their next expansion move ... they would take ND in a heartbeat and add FSU and then be done for a couple of years possibly. If ND opts to remain independent then Miami would be the eventual travel partner with FSU (I believe).

Advertisement
It seems presumptive to me that fsu wants out of the ACC since there is only speculation as to where they would land. Also, speculation that others will follow. The SEC and BIG are loaded with teams so what if they don't get an invite? I assume that the powers that be have all this figured out but what if fsu leaves and no one follows and no one wants them? Again why is fsu blaming the ACC for them not going to the playoffs? It wasn't their decision that left them out. I have to guess it is only about the money. If so many teams are threatening the ACC why can't the ACC renegotiate their TV contracts, after all what is the existing contract worth if everyone bails out? With the added teams to the ACC will that add to the TV revenue? Another curious item will be scheduling, would the ACC let fsu play Miami or any other ACC team?
It would amuse me if fsu got out of the ACC only to find themselves as independent with no major conference interested in another addition plus no conference revenue and a difficult situation scheduling as these enormous conferences have to eliminate some of their out of conference scheduling.
I like us in the ACC with or without fsu, but only if they figure out a way to increase revenue that allows teams to compete with the SEC and BIG.
Seems that you basically haven't read ANY of the preceding 14,800 posts on this topic. FSU isn't suing the ACC for being snubbed by the CFP committee. There are a long list of allegations focused on the GOR and failure to fulfill fiduciary responsibility and other charges that may actually involve a degree of fraud and cover up. The ACC can't magically "renegotiate" their TV contract because the conference is made up of too many programs like BC, Wake Forest etc., that have no national viewer appeal. Weak conference = weak media deal. Period. FSU has a landing spot in the Big 10. The ACC conference is going to lose several prominent members (FSU, UNC, UVA) and Miami needs to make a move or Clemson will potentially take their "B10" spot. The ACC media contract will most likely DECREASE after the high viewership programs leave ... and it is highly likely that ESPN will therefore NOT review the current agreement that expires in 2027. So for financial security, financial growth of both athletics and research funding ... leave and join the B10.

Siap

Anyone mention that ND isn't part of this B1G/SEC group?

Very interesting to me
It’s potentially interesting, and potentially not.

If they really have not been consulted in the background on this then it means the SEC is not covering for their independence for them the same way they essentially have out of fear of them going to the Big Ten. Then notre dame would have a rude awakening and perhaps have to accelerate their internal conversations about the landscape and their independence.

However, there is also no reason for Notre Dame to publicly seen as knifing the ACC yet so for all we know just because a public comment hasn’t been made, it may not mean that they don’t know what’s going on or that they will eventually be part of the process. Could be their involvement just hasn’t been announced yet for a multitude of political and strategy reasons.

We shall see - two very different possibilities and silence does not mean for sure what some people are reading into it - even if it very well could be the case.

Last edited:
That's the problem. There is no realistic path to doing that.

That's the problem. There is no realistic path to doing that.
Why is it so difficult for people to comprehend that fundamental facet of the ACC conference? It's not that there is a BAD TV deal, the problem is that the conference is made up of teams that nobody wants to watch on a national level and therefore commercial revenue for ACCN is meager for the regional broadcast games. ACCN made something like $120 million profit in 2022. If they gave 100% of the profit to the conference it is only an incremental $8 million per year based on 15 members. The ONLY way for UM to "get a media deal similar to the B10 and SEC .... is to BECOME A MEBER OF THE B10 OR SEC!

Advertisement
We shall see - two very different possibilities and silence does not mean for sure what some people are reading into it - even if it very well could be the case.

People within the industry and those who cover have repeatedly said that moving foward the SEC and Big Ten will dictate the path of the top tier of College Sports.

Literally nobody has said it'll be the SEC, Big Ten and Notre Dame.

Make of that what you will, but here's ND athletic director Jack Swarbrick on the subject at the ACC meetings in May 2022 to ESPN:

"We're getting to a two solar system model here," Swarbrick said. "You have two suns with all the gravitational pull -- the Big Ten and the SEC. People are going to have to figure out how to align with one or the other.”

buddy, the acc is never going to increase revenue. That's the problem. ESPN's contract with the ACC is laughably one-sided in favor of ESPN and they have zero incentive to ever change it. FSU wouldn't be suing if the acc could just "increase revnue"

People within the industry and those who cover have repeatedly said that moving foward the SEC and Big Ten will dictate the path of the top tier of College Sports.

Literally nobody has said it'll be the SEC, Big Ten and Notre Dame.

Make of that what you will, but here's ND athletic director Jack Swarbrick on the subject at the ACC meetings in May 2022 to ESPN:

"We're getting to a two solar system model here," Swarbrick said. "You have two suns with all the gravitational pull -- the Big Ten and the SEC. People are going to have to figure out how to align with one or the other.”

ND will eventually crack and join the big 10. Matter of when, not if.

Advertisement
buddy, the acc is never going to increase revenue. That's the problem. ESPN's contract with the ACC is laughably one-sided in favor of ESPN and they have zero incentive to ever change it. FSU wouldn't be suing if the acc could just "increase revnue"
The problem is that you never want to be the nicest house on the block, because everyone around you is bringing down your property value. That's what's happening to UM, FSU, Clemson, and UNC. If the ACC was a rental company in charge of renting out all the houses in the community, UM, FSU, Clemson, and UNC would all bring in 50M+ per year. Some of the other ACC schools would rent out for 30-35M per year, and some might as well be vacant lots charging for parking. Then at the end of the day the ACC pools all the rental money together and says "everyone gets $37M, look at that guys!"

Also it turns out the rental company's CEO was renting out some of the houses at a discount to his son's bosses. Oops.

We need to move our house to a nicer block.

The problem is that you never want to be the nicest house on the block, because everyone around you is bringing down your property value. That's what's happening to UM, FSU, Clemson, and UNC. If the ACC was a rental company in charge of renting out all the houses in the community, UM, FSU, Clemson, and UNC would all bring in 50M+ per year. Some of the other ACC schools would rent out for 30-35M per year, and some might as well be vacant lots charging for parking. Then at the end of the day the ACC pools all the rental money together and says "everyone gets $37M, look at that guys!"

Also it turns out the rental company's CEO was renting out some of the houses at a discount to his son's bosses. Oops.

We need to move our house to a nicer block.
Every conference has their top tier, middle tier, and bottom tier components of schools. They mostly stay in their alloted slots based on the size of their fanbase/ TV viewership, but do move up or down based on continued success or failure. This includes both the Big 10 and SEC.

Stage 1 of this reset of college football is the easy part. Taking the top tier from each of the 3 non-P2 Power 5 conferences. The Big 12 was purged first and was able to reconstitute itself into a respectable lower tier conference. Next came the purge of the PAC12, and they just totally imploded. 4 jumped to the Big 10 and 6 to the Big 12. Now, it's the purge of the ACC and the only thing keeping that from occurring is the GOR agreement that FSU is suing over right now. As soon as an agreement is made, FSU is definitely gone and the magical question will be which top tier remaining ACC schools will get the proverbial bachelor rose from the SEC or Big 10 to remain in the upper echelon of the sport.

Stage 2 will be the harder part. This will be when the TV deals come up for renegotiation and the TV bosses who are actually running college sports at this very moment give the bad news that they'll keep pay outs at $100M per year per school, but NOT for the bottom tier schools - Vandy, Miss St, Indiana, Purdue, amongst others. At that point, those bottom tier schools will have to find homes in one of the lesser conferences. My guess is this will be when ND will finally join the Big 10 as well.

The TV Masters will have officially changed top tier college football into NFL Light to give them top notch programming on Saturdays to match up with the Sunday pros on the big over-the-air networks (Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC). For the ravenous fan, you'll still be able to watch the NCAA division 1 sublevel (Big 12, Group of 5) schools on various cable channels, but not on CBS, NBC, Fox, or ABC (unless its an OOC game with a P2 school on the road). Plus, I foresee most of the Group of 5 schools becoming weeknight only conferences (like the MAC has done every November for the past few years). There is a market for football on every night of the week and the only way to get ratings for these games will be to broadcast their games on weeknights because Saturdays will be full up of the P2 games.

The upcoming legal and predictably, Congressional entanglements will be exciting to watch in and of themselves.

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Advertisement
Back