MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Is Notre Dame the ONLY “Brand” that can operate as an Independent? Miami was independent before the Big East and did well. I know it is a different time now but can other schools go the route of independence?
Along with ND, Umass, Uconn, and Army are currently independent. They're just not getting conference television revenue or scheduling,

Advertisement
Is Notre Dame the ONLY “Brand” that can operate as an Independent? Miami was independent before the Big East and did well. I know it is a different time now but can other schools go the route of independence?

Yeah, at the P-4 level and, more importantly, the SEC/B1G level going forward.

Just about everything the B1G FOX is doing, both with media rights and with expansion, is geared toward shaking loose Notre Dame from the ACC and bringing them into the B1G as an all-sports member.

The whole reason ND entered into this one foot in, one foot out relationship with the ACC was because the Leprechauns were having a tougher and tougher time putting together a satisfactory football schedule — both for themselves and for NBC.

Now take a world where the vast majority of the Top 40-48 programs belong to either the SEC or B1G ... and those two Super Conferences are playing 9 or even 10 conference games a year — and getting paid a ****-ton of money to do so.

Is Notre Dame gonna stick around for a five-game arrangement with a watered-down ACC in which FSU, Clemson, UNC and hopefully have Miami have moved on the greener pastures? And where are the Irish's 12 football games each fall coming from?

That seems extremely doubtful regardless of how much ND cherishes its football independence

Last edited:
Seems like, collectively-speaking, this board has come to the realization FSU and Clemson are (and have been) far more tied together than we ever were with either — despite the much-touted DanRad connection and our once-epic (but still heated) rivalry with the holes.

When this thread was in its earlier days, we read a whole lot of confident chatter about UM's close "partnerships" with those two schools
I think it’s by virtue of the fact that those two look a lot more similar to one another than we do and in turn it’s probably attracting the same analysis.

I think it’s by virtue of the fact that those two look a lot more similar to one another than we do and in turn it’s probably attracting the same analysis.

That's definitely a part of it, you're right.

FSU and Clemson's leadership have made it a point to empahasize that similarity, too, especially since the ACC's "instability" began to be topic the last few years. There have been quotes in the media about their alignment with one another.

Seriously, though, does anyone seriously think those two schools don't fit in the SEC?

It's pretty obvious they do

FSU and Clemson's leadership have made it a point to empahasize that similarity, too, especially since the ACC's "instability" began to be topic the last few years. There have been quotes in the media about their alignment with one another.

Seriously, though, does anyone seriously think those two schools don't fit in the SEC?

Exactly. The whole AAU thing is a telltale sign for me.

All of a sudden, we are admitted into AAU and Clemson/FSU are not there at least yet. Tells me that Clemson/FSU are SEC bound and we are B1G bound. It's just going to take a while to get all of the details and timing worked out.

Advertisement

I find it interesting that SEC slow played adding Clemson and FSU. Almost to the point the Big 10 might have swooped in.

And ESPN could have rid itself of unwanted inventory by facilitating FSU and Clemson (and maybe UNC and VT) to SEC without bother which would have allowed ACC to implode with other colleges bailing, thereby allowing ESPN to not have to pay media rights due to composition clause. ESPN could have used surplus to help strengthen SEC deal and started working on creating multiple must watch matchups on ESPN with the new teams.

Looks like we may eventually get to that point, but now ESPN must deal with the ACC since they are adding teams avoiding the composition clause for the time being.

This whole ordeal has been one big clusterf*ck imo. And I really don’t trust anyone who is calling the shots right now (at ESPN, FOX, SEC, ACC or Miami) to get us to the end game.

I find it interesting that SEC slow played adding Clemson and FSU.

At least it seems that way.

But maybe ESPN and FOX are walking that tightrope of orchestrating what they want while keeping their hands clean?

FSU and Clemson are worth more in the SEC than the ACC. Same goes for us and Notre Dame in the B1G vs. the ACC

Last edited:
At least it seems that way.

But maybe ESPN and FOX are walking that tightrope of orchestrating what they want while keeping their hands clean?

FSU and Clemson are worth more in the SEC than the ACC. Same goes for us and Notre Dame in the B1G vs. the SEC
If ESPN wasn’t in the mess they are in currently (finances from Disney, cutting staff, etc), than I might buy in to ESPN being worried about keeping their hands clean. But they are beyond that point imo.

Whether we want to admit it or not, the second part is the media partners have clearly put them two together as 1a/1b. But outside of USCe and UF’s sentiments, both of those programs and schools are better suited for the SEC and B10, and with no inside knowledge, I can’t imagine a world that is not their final landing spot.

Advertisement
This whole ordeal has been one big clusterf*ck imo. And I really don’t trust anyone who is calling the shots right now (at ESPN, FOX, SEC, ACC or Miami) to get us to the end game.

Yeah, ask the presidents at Oregon State and Washington State where good faith got 'em.

I'm trusting Miami's brand and presence in the No. 9 market/top five recruiting hotbed is enough to land us in the Big Ten.

And if that indeed happens, none of this realignment chaos the past few years will matter a bit.

At the end of the day, a school is either in one the top two conferences or it's not

It won't be the ACC, per say. This is after it dissolves, falters, breaks apart, ends, or whatever happens.

The bold is the plan. It's a group of the schools that are aware that they're being left out or contingency planning. It's something administrators at Duke have pondered for years apparently. Miami is included in talks as a contingency for themselves.

Miami desperately needs FSU and/or Clemson to pick the SEC or be picked by the SEC. If they both do, we might be out in 2025/2026 and part, maybe even all, will be paid for.

Of course Vanderbilt, Northwestern, etc. won't leave their conferences. But they're not going to be included when ESPN/FOX says they want the top 40 teams, 2 conferences, and the rest aren't being written into their rights and are kicked from the conference. That's where it's headed.

I'm not denying whether there is a contingency plan in place, I can't speak for 6 or 8 other university professors.

What I CAN tell you is that if Frenk does anything or takes any action in furtherence of this for Miami, he will be fired by the UM Board of Trustees.

The BOT does not want to be in a Junior Ivy League.

Seems like, collectively-speaking, this board has come to the realization FSU and Clemson are (and have been) far more tied together than we ever were with either — despite the much-touted DanRad connection and our once-epic (but still heated) rivalry with the holes.

When this thread was in its earlier days, we read a whole lot of confident chatter about UM's close "partnerships" with those two schools

Oh my lord, how long are people going to pull receipts on what happened a year ago?

The UM-Clemson connection was real. We cannot control the fact that the SEC doesn't want Miami, though. If Clemson goes Big 10, we'll be there with them, but if they pick SEC, we won't.

As for F$U, nobody ever claimed to be close with them. Their new AD (last couple of years) is a piece of ****.

Advertisement

And the SEC being uninterested in Miami.

If there were 10 power conferences, this would be different. But when there are only 2, and one doesn't want you...

F$U emphasizes the similarity.

Clemson doesn't say ****. Same as Miami.

I'm not denying whether there is a contingency plan in place, I can't speak for 6 or 8 other university professors.

What I CAN tell you is that if Frenk does anything or takes any action in furtherence of this for Miami, he will be fired by the UM Board of Trustees.

The BOT does not want to be in a Junior Ivy League.
I agree. I've said I don't think the BOT will let him do it.

But for some strange reason, he engages in those talks and that would be his preferred course.

Surely his term is coming to an end in the near future. I remember hearing the board was vetting the next potential presidential candidates back in 2020 and was ready to move on from Frenk and then Covid happened and somehow bought him more time (already 3 years, must have extended his term by 5 years). Such lazy university leadership, nothing would surprise me if they let him do whatever.

Advertisement
Exactly. The whole AAU thing is a telltale sign for me.

All of a sudden, we are admitted into AAU and Clemson/FSU are not there at least yet. Tells me that Clemson/FSU are SEC bound and we are B1G bound. It's just going to take a while to get all of the details and timing worked out.

The AAU accepted 6 schools this year. It's the largest group of universities admitted ever, since the AAU was founded in 1900.

F$U and Clemson will likely get in, and not too far into the future.

Clemson really needs a med school, though.

I agree. I've said I don't think the BOT will let him do it.

But for some strange reason, he engages in those talks and that would be his preferred course.

Surely his term is coming to an end in the near future. I remember hearing the board was vetting the next potential presidential candidates back in 2020 and was ready to move on from Frenk and then Covid happened and somehow bought him more time (already 3 years, must have extended his term by 5 years). Such lazy university leadership, nothing would surprise me if they let him do whatever.

Yeah, you know me, you know I've hated Frenk from the beginning.

For nearly 100 years, UM has hired/extended UM presidents in 5-year increments. Frenk was hired in 2015 and was due to be replaced in 2020. COVID saved his job.

It now looks like Frenk will ring in UM's Centennial in 2025. After that, I'd be willing to bet that we will have a new president.

Advertisement
Back