MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

1687878851402.png

Advertisement
How shocking, right? That lawyers might actually be able to find truck-sized loopholes in a poorly drafted Grant of Rights that was extended AFTER our TV contract was negotiated.

SHOCKING, I tell ya...
Fingers crossed that the "comparable revenue" is actually a part of our agreement. That was a statement by one person from Charlotte who claimed to have read the revised document.

Advertisement
How shocking, right? That lawyers might actually be able to find truck-sized loopholes in a poorly drafted Grant of Rights that was extended AFTER our TV contract was negotiated.

SHOCKING, I tell ya...
The interesting thing will be if we use a "loophole" that allows us to leave because we aren't getting close to competitive pay or whatever - which can be applied to any school with an offer in SEC/B10, It really could lead to just like Miami, Clemson, FSU, and ND leaving the GOR asap. While I do think the SEC and to a lesser extent B10 would want UNC and UVA, I think by 2026, it just is a lot easier to keep adding teams 2 at a time - and UNC seems like they genuinely just like controlling their ACC. So In this scenario I think B10 getting ND and Miami while SEC gets FSU and Clemson for 2026 would make a lot of sense. Then in 2028 or 2030 the ACC actually dies.

But the interesting thing is how like the 7-10 schools (like VTech/GTech, etc) in the pecking order would feel about this. I have to imagine Its actually better for them to just want the ACC to dissolve rather than be stuck with the ACC GOR as well. Especially when the top 3 ACC Football programs leave and ESPN gives them far less money. At that point the B12 likely will pay more (but likely still in same ballpark). Then at least if they agreed to dissolve maybe they could try to force their way into the B10...

The interesting thing will be if we use a "loophole" that allows us to leave because we aren't getting close to competitive pay or whatever - which can be applied to any school with an offer in SEC/B10, It really could lead to just like Miami, Clemson, FSU, and ND leaving the GOR asap. While I do think the SEC and to a lesser extent B10 would want UNC and UVA, I think by 2026, it just is a lot easier to keep adding teams 2 at a time - and UNC seems like they genuinely just like controlling their ACC. So In this scenario I think B10 getting ND and Miami while SEC gets FSU and Clemson for 2026 would make a lot of sense. Then in 2028 or 2030 the ACC actually dies.

But the interesting thing is how like the 7-10 schools (like VTech/GTech, etc) in the pecking order would feel about this. I have to imagine Its actually better for them to just want the ACC to dissolve rather than be stuck with the ACC GOR as well. Especially when the top 3 ACC Football programs leave and ESPN gives them far less money. At that point the B12 likely will pay more (but likely still in same ballpark). Then at least if they agreed to dissolve maybe they could try to force their way into the B10...
It would make sense that Radakovich and the "top tier brand" programs are attacking this on two fronts simultaneously.

-Going after the "malleable aspects" of the GOR that might permit the top 4 brands to exit with their media rights in tact, just paying the $120M ACC exit fee and leaving the ACC conference in tact.

-Looking at the possibility of having acceptable new conference landing spots for at least 8 (maybe more) ACC programs so that they could also vote to dissolve the conference with new homes effective for the 2026 season.

The back channel discussions must be epic at this point as not only conference realignment is on the table, but also the expanded playoff format for 2026 and going forward. With a legit "Big 2" becoming a reality, the road to playoff contention becomes virtually blocked for "independent" programs so ND would almost certainly become a B10 member.

It would make sense that Radakovich and the "top tier brand" programs are attacking this on two fronts simultaneously.

-Going after the "malleable aspects" of the GOR that might permit the top 4 brands to exit with their media rights in tact, just paying the $120M ACC exit fee and leaving the ACC conference in tact.

-Looking at the possibility of having acceptable new conference landing spots for at least 8 (maybe more) ACC programs so that they could also vote to dissolve the conference with new homes effective for the 2026 season.

The back channel discussions must be epic at this point as not only conference realignment is on the table, but also the expanded playoff format for 2026 and going forward. With a legit "Big 2" becoming a reality, the road to playoff contention becomes virtually blocked for "independent" programs so ND would almost certainly become a B10 member.
Agree.

Also interesting to consider which would be viewed as the better choice Dissolving ACC in 2028 or paying $125M to join B10 in 2026...
Technically the pay difference will likely be around $30-$50M/yr for 2026 and 2027. And it doesn't look like it's likely to happen pre-2026. So Technically to make $125M "worth it" it'd take a 3 year difference. So Dissolving ACC by 2028 could be the better financial decision than paying >$100M earlier Though waiting until 2030 would be easily worse than paying the exit fee in 2026 and winning in court...

Personally I think paying what we had to and guaranteeing us in the B10 by 2026 is worth it.

Advertisement
Have you actually been following this thread ... read anything? So far two approaches have been put forth.

First, the most realistic approach to at least minimize litigation, is the dissolution of the ACC Conference. It takes 8 votes to dissolve the conference ... a simple majority. There are more than 8 programs interested in leaving so the speculation is that there is a lot of back room discussions and good old fashion negotiating taking place to find homes for those 8 programs ... at a minimum ... and potentially as many as 10-12 ACC programs in other conferences (for discussion sake ... 4 to the B10, 4 to the SEC, and 4 to the B12). No conference then no GOR in force.

Second, members leave individually. This approach is very costly, involving a $120 million dollar exit fee and loss of rights to HOME GAMES for the term of the GOR with the ACC. There is speculation that some negotiation might be doable and there has also been speculation that the TERM of the GOR combined with the dramatic gap in funds being received by B10 programs and ACC programs ... might be sufficient to sway the courts in looking at the GOR as unreasonable in restraint of trade and viewed as being exactly what the Sherman Act was intended to prohibit.

My money is on the dissolution of the ACC conference. Soon. UM playing in the B10 in 2026.
He has.
He's like Forrest Gump.
The local idiot.

Agree.

Also interesting to consider which would be viewed as the better choice Dissolving ACC in 2028 or paying $125M to join B10 in 2026...
Technically the pay difference will likely be around $30-$50M/yr for 2026 and 2027. And it doesn't look like it's likely to happen pre-2026. So Technically to make $125M "worth it" it'd take a 3 year difference. So Dissolving ACC by 2028 could be the better financial decision than paying >$100M earlier Though waiting until 2030 would be easily worse than paying the exit fee in 2026 and winning in court...

Personally I think paying what we had to and guaranteeing us in the B10 by 2026 is worth it.
Why delay the "dissolving the ACC in 2028"? If they are successful in finding new conference landing spots for 8-10 programs now, vote to dissolve effective December 2025, and everybody is playing in their new conferences effective 2026.

Have you read ANY of this thread? There are specific individuals who are close to the B10 conference who DO have credible insight into conference realignment and the strong interest BY the B10 in having Miami as a member. And what is your nonsensical comment regarding "tax geeks"? Are you 10 years old? There are UM alums involved in this thread discussion who are very aware of the importance to the university of research involvement by the university and that has been one of the "realignment criteria" that has been a discussion point.

The B10 is the largest Federal Research Grant receiving conference in the country. They prefer, if not mandate . AAU accreditation for conference members ... and both ND and UM just received AAU accreditation within the past month. That is a huge accomplishment for Miami and part of the criteria is RESEARCH INVESTMENT AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS. That is another reason the B10 wants Miami, in addition to the powerful football brand, having Miami in the B10 increases the potential for incremental research funds for the conference and conference members. Federal research grant money dwarfs the media revenue from all sports.

As for the topic of this thread ... it is "conferences to watch" ... discussing the REALITIES of which conferences might be the destination for specific programs ... and the reasons behind those selections. It isn't about "potential athletic matchups". It is about INCREMENTAL MEDIA REVENUE ... more money by being in either the B10 or the SEC vs stagnating in the ACC. When you look at the B10 opportunity in it's entirety the potential incremental revenue becomes a multi faceted opportunity and that is a huge consideration for the president of UM. Football matchups as part of the B10 would be prime time record setting matchups. Miami vs ND, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, UCLA, Michigan State.
I'm really excited about discussing all of this with you, and the other 2-3 people who care, at the next tailgate.

He has.
He's like Forrest Gump.
The local idiot.
You guys must all be part of the "silent commit" crew. I guarantee you that not a single poster on here has any true and factual knowledge of Miami and a conference change. You guys speculate to the masses and expect everybody to take it as factual.
But no worries, there's always room to change your "facts" once that silent commit falls through.

Advertisement
You guys must all be part of the "silent commit" crew. I guarantee you that not a single poster on here has any true and factual knowledge of Miami and a conference change. You guys speculate to the masses and expect everybody to take it as factual.
But no worries, there's always room to change your "facts" once that silent commit falls through.
Why are you in here?

For the greats...

@RVACane
@IndayArtHauz
@UrineDaloop

I strongly suspect that his 40-post history is heavy on anti-Miami, trolling, and insider-bashing.

1687971061999.png

Dude, really? Even a complete and total idiot can read the tea leaves and see that the ACC is through in the next few years.

Advertisement
How bored and empty can people generally be in their lives to:

A) Create joke accounts and spend time on a message board of all places to play generic head games for a team they even don’t like
B) Create an alternate/burner/Kevin Durant account to bolster their garbage or provide an anti-view point of their actual posting history

Regarding B….. we 👀 c u

If you have no interest in the topic and truly believe that nobody has any insight as to what is being discussed by the presidents and chancellors of the B10 programs ... then why bother opening this thread? You can't "guarantee" squat. There is factual information coming from certain individuals who are connected to several of the B10 universities. They're not done expanding, they are interested in Miami and Miami is interested in the B10. Right now it appears to be a matter of timing and execution.

Why delay the "dissolving the ACC in 2028"? If they are successful in finding new conference landing spots for 8-10 programs now, vote to dissolve effective December 2025, and everybody is playing in their new conferences effective 2026.
... Well it COULD be the case that they don't have enough votes... Obviously the sooner you have the votes that can dissolve the conference the better, because that would mean no fees at all. But that may not be the case. Thats why my point was which is better paying $125M or whatever it is to leave early, or leaving like 2 years later for free... Financially Paying that $100M likely won't be "worth it" over just getting out free 2 years later. But there are other factors that imo make it worth it.

Advertisement
Back