MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

(y)

For the other side, which kind of "Miami should join the Big Ten instead of SEC" fan are you? 😃

Eunuchs: "The SEC is too tough. Canes will never, ever win and we'll all be miserable forever" 😭

Moralists: "SEC are a bunch of cheaters with no conscience. Miami should want no part of that" ⛪

Elitists: "Frankly, I'm not at all interested in Miami associating with a bunch of ignorant rednecks" 🍷

Eggheads: "Big Ten is the superior academic conference. These are STUDENT-athletes, remember?" 📚

Self-centered: "I live near Chicago. It'll be so easy for me to attend a few Canes games each year!!" 🤗
For the elitist argument, football revenue has helped build SEC schools academically in a variety of ways. Facilities, name recognition, etc. They might be in redneck areas but they’re great institutions.

Advertisement
(y)

For the other side, which kind of "Miami should join the Big Ten instead of SEC" fan are you? 😃

Eunuchs: "The SEC is too tough. Canes will never, ever win and we'll all be miserable forever" 😭

Moralists: "SEC are a bunch of cheaters with no conscience. Miami should want no part of that" ⛪

Elitists: "Frankly, I'm not at all interested in Miami associating with a bunch of ignorant rednecks" 🍷

Eggheads: "Big Ten is the superior academic conference. These are STUDENT-athletes, remember?" 📚

Self-centered: "I live near Chicago. It'll be so easy for me to attend a few Canes games each year!!" 🤗
Great post, nailed tedious theead in a few sentences..

1. SEC (Grade: A+): Best conference in College Football by far — and we are (supposed to be) a football school. Play FSU and UF on a regular basis. Nuf said about that (but the rest of an SEC schedule would be good/great every season and would definitely boost JRS attendance as long as we weren't crapping the bed). Most travel friendly conference option and we'd be much more likely to avoid those late-season games in snow, ice, etc

2. B1G (B): Wouldn't be the SEC, so say goodbye to playing the turds and holes. But regular games against Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, USC (and who knows else) would be one helluva consolation prize. Can only imagine the anti-Canes SoFla recruiting tactics by SEC schools if we end up in the B1G. Sankey would probably hand out bonuses every time one of his schools signed a 5- or 4-star from Dade, Broward or PB
this would be great for Football, but all non revenue sports would suffer

Can't wait

wrestling brawl GIF by WWE

No way. If the SEC actually happened and we play UF regularly, that would absolutely be a neutral site (within a stones throw of Gainesville). No chance UF comes to Miami every other year.

Advertisement
(y)

Perfect!
The football fan in me says SEC, even though you know we'd be the redheaded stepchild over FU and even FSU. But the alum in me says Big 10 is the best choice from an academic perspective.

Perfect!
The football fan in me says SEC, even though you know we'd be the redheaded stepchild over FU and even FSU. But the alum in me says Big 10 is the best choice from an academic perspective.

The Big Ten deal is for $7b for 7 years (ends 2029) and SEC is for $3b for 10 (ends 2034)

If you’re Miami big ten is the choice

Advertisement
For everyone bringing up academics - yes, B1G schools are on average better academic institutions than those in the SEC. But what does that matter at all? It seems to be a common talking point, but as far as I'm aware joining the SEC or B1G would have no material impact on Miami's academics.

For everyone bringing up academics - yes, B1G schools are on average better academic institutions than those in the SEC. But what does that matter at all? It seems to be a common talking point, but as far as I'm aware joining the SEC or B1G would have no material impact on Miami's academics.
AAU would be the only barrier to entry into the B10. I think wed be their only non AAU member school

AAU would be the only barrier to entry into the B10. I think wed be their only non AAU member school
Nebraska isn't AAU, but when they joined they were. ND actually isn't AAU, which imo calls into question how much AAU is tied into academics, since they are a great academic institution. Obviously if AAU actually is a requirement, ND would be the one program they would let that contigency slide for.

But I was more referring to people pointing out the academic standing of the B1G and how that's a pro to why we should join. I'm just asking, why would that entice us to join? We won't get Northwestern academics by being in the same conference as them.

Nebraska isn't. ND isn't either and B1G would invite them for sure without it. UM has a ton a biomedical research so don't think it would be a challenge to get AAU accredited.

Advertisement
Nebraska isn't AAU, but when they joined they were. ND actually isn't AAU, which imo calls into question how much AAU is tied into academics, since they are a great academic institution. Obviously if AAU actually is a requirement, ND would be the one program they would let that contigency slide for.

But I was more referring to people pointing out the academic standing of the B1G and how that's a pro to why we should join. I'm just asking, why would that entice us to join? We won't get Northwestern academics by being in the same conference as them.

B1G has around 12 billion in a special research grant pool that only B1G schools are eligible for. That's an insane amount of research money available. That attracts a lot of top minds to schools.

B1G has around 12 billion in a special research grant pool that only B1G schools are eligible for. That's an insane amount of research money available. That attracts a lot of top minds to schools.
No, the $12 billion in research isn't a pool that each school can draw from. That number represents the amount of $ each school spends on research independently, all summed up.

I watched “Trailblazers” show on the B1G network yesterday where they featured Barry Alvarez. He talked about Nebraska coming to the B1G. Jim Delaney called him bc he played for Nebraska and coached there prior. He asked Alvarez
1- do they take academics seriously?
2- do they cheat in recruiting.

You know what happens next…Huskers to the B1G

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back