MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement

Now the Colorado chancellor is claiming they will make more than the Big12 and ACC.

"But DiStefano said “there’s a very good possibility” the next deal will bring in per-school revenues ranking third among the Power 5 conferences, ahead of the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast conferences. He also hopes it’s a five- to seven-year deal instead of being locked into a longer contract like the 12-year deal that ends next year and once was touted as the most valuable in college sports."

Now the Colorado chancellor is claiming they will make more than the Big12 and ACC.

"But DiStefano said “there’s a very good possibility” the next deal will bring in per-school revenues ranking third among the Power 5 conferences, ahead of the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast conferences. He also hopes it’s a five- to seven-year deal instead of being locked into a longer contract like the 12-year deal that ends next year and once was touted as the most valuable in college sports."
Sure.

Advertisement
Before speculating about any team departing the ACC, keep in mind these facts:
  1. The ACC GoR runs through June 30, 2036.
  2. The ACC GoR requires a unanimous vote to amend or void.
  3. The "ACC corporate charter loophole" (simple majority voting to dissolve the conference) has not been tested in NC State Law.
  4. Litigating this in court and losing will cost any school exiting the conference over $300 million...likely over $500 million when you count the exit fee, TV money and legal fees.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Before speculating about any team departing the ACC, keep in mind these facts:
  1. The ACC GoR runs through June 30, 2036.
  2. The ACC GoR requires a unanimous vote to amend or void.
  3. The "ACC corporate charter loophole" (simple majority voting to dissolve the conference) has not been tested in NC State Law.
  4. Litigating this in court and losing will cost any school exiting the conference over $300 million...likely over $500 million when you count the exit fee, TV money and legal fees.

Majority vote ends it. Period. Don't overthink it. The optics of trying to keep a conference together when the majority of the conference wants out would be overwhelmingly horrific, and more importantly the cost of trying to keep it together wouldn't be worth it when it's that broken.

Losing schools get a nice honorarium from the student fund and we get to have a parade in their town. Fin.

Majority vote ends it. Period. Don't overthink it. The optics of trying to keep a conference together when the majority of the conference wants out would be overwhelmingly horrific, and more importantly the cost of trying to keep it together wouldn't be worth it when it's that broken.

Losing schools get a nice honorarium from the student fund and we get to have a parade in their town. Fin.

That sounds good until the seven schools that vote to remain sue the eight that try to leave. There's a reason the GoR hasn't been challenged anywhere. Even in the Big 12. Texas and Oklahoma each had to pay $100 million to leave one year early.

That sounds good until the seven schools that vote to remain sue the eight that try to leave. There's a reason the GoR hasn't been challenged anywhere. Even in the Big 12. Texas and Oklahoma each had to pay $100 million to leave one year early.

Nah, there has never been a situation where a majority (or even close) has wanted to dissolve a conference and a piece of paper prevented it. The Big 12 and Pac-12 each only lost two schools. The majority of those conferences (as of now) want to maintain them. Irrelevant examples.

There is what's called a "tipping point" where what is inevitable becomes indisputably inevitable. Things fall apart. If a majority of ACC schools want out, it's over. Probably by the terms of the conference agreement, but even if it's disputable, it's not going to keep it together. The remaining schools will take a reasonable negotiated check and figure out their landing spot before all the chairs are gone. We can argue back and forth but the real world is the real world. I'll bet my dollars to your donuts.

Advertisement
I just couldn’t imagine the SEC taking Miami in. They already recruit South Florida well enough.
Aside from UF probably doing everything to quash that move, on the other hand, the B1G positioning itself deep within SEC territory is a bold business decision.
As a business making a toehold deep within your competition territory is golden.

“What I’ve said along with the other presidents and chancellors is we’re not going to even think about going anywhere, none of us, until we see what kind of offer we get, and that’s still being worked out.”

Lol.

Btw, I love the fact he said not signing any long term deal that allows them to be, “passed up.” Hmmm, where have I heard that b4?

I happen to have a friend who’s very in the know about SEC football, and has contacts in their office. I’m his view, this SEC will not take us. It’s a combination of two things.

1) Recruiting. LSU, Bama, UF, UGA, etc. do not want us in the conference because that makes their job recruiting much harder. We’d be getting the SEC “pedigree” + we already have the $$$ to compete with any program. That’s a no go with them.

2) The Gators will do everything in their power to make sure it never happens. Make no mistake, if concern 1) didn’t exist and the other teams wanted us in, we’d get in. UF’s protest’s wouldn’t be enough. But they’d raise **** and create another headache.

Like many others, he thinks we go to the BIG 10. Views it as a better fit for us.

Advertisement
I happen to have a friend who’s very in the know about SEC football, and has contacts in their office. I’m his view, this SEC will not take us. It’s a combination of two things.

1) Recruiting. LSU, Bama, UF, UGA, etc. do not want us in the conference because that makes their job recruiting much harder. We’d be getting the SEC “pedigree” + we already have the $$$ to compete with any program. That’s a no go with them.

2) The Gators will do everything in their power to make sure it never happens. Make no mistake, if concern 1) didn’t exist and the other teams wanted us in, we’d get in. UF’s protest’s wouldn’t be enough. But they’d raise **** and create another headache.

Like many others, he thinks we go to the BIG 10. Views it as a better fit for us.
I’d argue for UF, FSU joining the SEC which seems to be a potential outcome is more dangerous for them than us.

I’d argue for UF, FSU joining the SEC which seems to be a potential outcome is more dangerous for them than us.
I agree. And on the FSU issue he thinks they end up in the SEC. The other schools seem more comfortable with them in the conference, and the powers at be (particularly in FL politics) view an FSU to SEC move as optimal.

Your friend seems to be giving his opinion like most others based off the same recycled talking points and narratives. You don't think it's going to be harder for the SEC to recruit in Miami if they join the BIG. The conference realignment is about TV Markets and viewership. The SEC currently has the major market cornered on the Southeast part of the US. Would it be wise for them to let the BIG get into another decent size TV market down in Miami like they did in LA with USC and UCLA. Miami puts asses in seats and eyes in front of TV's when they're good and playing marquee opponents. I get the other side the argument your friend and others are thinking, but I feel it's extremely short sited. Miami is going to be extremely difficult to recruit against regardless unless they're not able to get into either conference.

Advertisement
Back