Comments on this comment?

He said “developed” players not talented players so maybe. However, after a spring and summer workout plan the (hypothetically) undercoached more talented player from Florida catches up and whips them.

Advertisement
If you are saying what I think you’re saying, I have suspected this to be true.

Do you think we are not evaluating seniors well enough to fill our roster with talented players?

When I look at the way we have recruited, it seems we waste too much time on the guys everybody wants. They troll us, take the bag, and skip town.

Meanwhile, talented less heralded guys go ball out for scrub programs and we sit around complaining about depth while slow playing guys that want to be here.

It makes no sense.

Can you expand on your statement?
The way the system is moving, players begin testing at an earlier and earlier age. It benefits the player who grew to be 90% percentile in height, weight, speed by the 9th or 10th grade. They get on the radar sooner. They get more offers. They even may get more training opportunities.

Yet, by the time they're seniors, let's say Player A is 80% of what you project him to be at the college level. But, there's a "late bloomer" (I'm hesitant to use that term for a 17 year old), Player B, who grew late or even still has room to grow in their senior season and in college. Player B may have the same or even higher potential than Player A, but we're late to the offer party or never offer at all.

Sure, perhaps because Player B had a huge Senior season the Star Ranking system covered their asses by making him a late rising 4 star or leave him as a 3 star, but we (the Canes) didn't focus on that kid enough. I'm not saying you can make an entire roster this way, because of the risk involved, but there should be specific room made for these types. One of the first times I found this process bizarre was watching Texas "lock up" their recruiting classes almost a year in advance about 20 years ago.

Now, I see this process happening in Florida more often. Especially with early signing period playing a role in today's process. Zion Nelson is a positive example of us projecting out a kid. Even if he doesn't become a contributor this year, he projects as one next year or at least in his career.

If I were running a college player personnel department, I'd keep a database of guys who (a) switched sports late (especially basketball to football), (b) didn't test at a camp till late, (c) had some unusual growth spurt after 10th or 11th grade, (d) switched positions or project to a totally different position (e.g. Florida QBs who'd make better Safeties or WRs), etc., etc. I'd try to beat the bag teams by unearthing as many late blooming gems as I could find. Even if they don't become significant contributors till they're RS Sophomores, you can balance that out with the more polished recruits.

Just a reminder some of the best Canes to ever put on for the U weren’t from Florida...

Sorry to kill yalls vibe

/yes I’m from Texas

Advertisement
Speaking to an audience of Texas HS coaches, Tom Herman says, "I've recruited all over the country, and there's no better developed player than a Texas high school football player."

I can believe that. Football is HUGE in Texas. It costs hundreds of dollars just to put your kid into a youth league in Texas. There are high schools with stadiums and facilities rivaling some P5 schools.

What is he going to say to a group of his key allies?

"Hey, you bunch of mouth breathers. Cali and Florida players are so much better than what you cretins are giving me to choose from. I'm headed to LA and SoFL from now on".

Might not be in his best interest.

Speaking to an audience of Texas HS coaches, Tom Herman says, "I've recruited all over the country, and there's no better developed player than a Texas high school football player."

He is talking to the coaches of his recruiting base. Do you really think he would say something that they wouldnt like?

Advertisement

Sure ya right...

Advertisement
If the state of Florida spent the amount of money that Texas does on high school football, You'd never recruit anybody form any other state ever again. Public school coaches in Texas actually make money unlike public school coaches in Florida. A majority of the coaches at Florida public schools, outside of the head coach are volunteers. That's why there's so many incredibly talented but raw kids coming out of Florida, especially south Florida.

Cmon...Although I agree ...But what would you have expected him to say?

But I bet he said the same thing to Ohio HS coaches

Look At this TX HIGH SCHOOL stadium...

football is a religion in TX ..Blasphemy is not tolerated and dealt with very harshly

Not the best athletes though

Exactly, dude is from Texas, coaching Texas, wanting first choices off the Texas high school buffet.

I wouldn't expect Mario to say...sure, South Florida kids are pretty **** good, but I would take Southern Cal kids first all day long.....lmfao

Advertisement
Speaking to a collection of Texas high school coaches, the Head Coach at The University of Texas complimented the development of Texas athletes. UM fans immediately in an uproar.

Could there possibly be anything less noteworthy?

FIFY

Fuggin' offseason

Florida has an abundance of gifted pure athletes, as for being well coached and developed I don't see how anyone can argue that a lot of them lack in those areas.

He’s probably right. Many many Texas HS football programs are ran like college programs. **** half of them have better facilities than FCS programs. They aren’t the most talented but they very well be the most “developed”

Many have also reached their ceilings or close to it by the time they hit college. Texas players are likely better coached than a lot of kids in South Florida but once we get these South Florida athletes in the right S&C program, watch them flourish.

Advertisement
Back