Combating The Early Exodus of Draft Eligible Players

So we would punish the best players on the team and in that way we would encourage them to stay for another season of unpaid labor. Makes sense.

Whenever it's reasonable reward the non-juniors while keeping the juniors hungry, working hard, and asking themselves and everyone around them what they're doing wrong. If anything it would create more competition and send the message that your job is unsafe no matter who you are. Instill a sense of fear and eradicate entitlement wherever it's reasonable. Rumph can say "Blades I'm starting you over Bandy this week because you worked harder in practice, spent more time at study hall, and smiled more." Our coaches can invent reasons for keeping these draft-eligible juniors from believing they're better than they actually are. Matt Walters started over Vince Wilfork for two seasons. James Jackson started over Clinton Portis. It's been done.

Advertisement
Always play the most talented player. Always play the players that help you win. What year they are should never be a factor.

No recruit would ever come to a school that has a policy of purposely benching Juniors.

2-3 players will leave early every year. It will work for some, and won't for others. This happens at every school, and has always happened. Fans need to move past it.

Advertisement
As evidenced by another batch of Miami juniors taken on the final day of the 2019 NFL Draft, I'd be in favor of instituting a method for keeping our players around for 4 years. It would constitute a mild adjustment and it's quite simple: keep them out of the starting lineup by subtly allowing a capable senior, sophomore, or freshman to start ahead of a junior with aspirations of turning pro a year too early. This would empower the seniors while keeping the juniors humble, hungry, engaged and out of the limelight. Now, this wouldn't mean a reduction in playing time for these select juniors – this is only about optics. Keep their names out of the announcers mouth and off the starting lineup graphics on television.

Here's what this would look like in 2019 and what it would mean for kids like Garvin, Bandy, JT4, Dallas, Donaldson in terms of a depth chart:

RB Dallas: there's already several among us who believe Harris & Lingard are better. All three will play a lot in 2019 regardless of who's listed as the starter.

WR Thomas: nowhere near NFL-ready and bringing him off the bench as WR3 is one way to reign him in. Also still earning back the trust of teammates & coaches.

OL Donaldson: has no business going pro but 3 & out is likely his plan given his 5* billing and immediate insertion into the starting lineup.

DE Garvin: 5-man rotation at DE so it shouldn't matter who starts.

CB Bandy: can be touted as our nickel CB. He would play just as much as Ivey/Blades but would begin the game on the bench along with Garvin.

DE Hill | Patchan | Garvin | Rousseau | Harvey | C. Williams | Phillips

DT Bethel | Silvera | Ford | Nnoruka | Miller | Martin | Blissett | Holley | Hunte

LB Shaq | Pinckney | McCloud | Joyner | Jennings | Brooks | Huff |Steed

STRK Finley | Frierson | Wilder

CB Ivey | Blades | Bandy | Williams | Bethel | Couch

S Hall | Bolden | Carter | D. Smith | K. Smith | Knowles

QB Martell | Perry | Williams | Matocha

RB Harris | Dallas | Lingard | George | Burns

WR Osborn | Payton | Thomas | Pope | Hightower | Harley | Wiggins | Njoku | Few

TE Jordan | Mallory | Irving | Hodges | Polendey

OL Scaife | Hillery | Gaynor | Reed | Herbert | Donaldson | Campbell | Nelson

That's not gonna work Joe Yearby left and he wasn't the starter lol

It's an interesting thought and I get the goal in it. Creative thinking, for sure. The main problem I see is that it would be used as negative recruting against us massively! So much so that I think that would outweigh any benefit.

Miami has dealt with this issue for far too long and it's time to employ some unorthodox tactics if we're ever going to compete with Clemson.

Clemson's recipe for success is recruiting the right players and keeping them at school.

Always play the most talented player. Always play the players that help you win. What year they are should never be a factor.

No recruit would ever come to a school that has a policy of purposely benching Juniors.

2-3 players will leave early every year. It will work for some, and won't for others. This happens at every school, and has always happened. Fans need to move past it.
Well said!

Advertisement
tenor.gif

I stopped reading after I saw Jeff Thomas and WR3. Yikes and I thought I was a brutal poster. Garvin will probably leave with a good year, Dallas shouldn’t think about leaving but he probably will, Thomas is gone after a good year, Donaldson and Bandy have no business leaving. Bandy is a solid player but he would definitely benefit staying all 4 years unless he has an all world season.

As evidenced by another batch of Miami juniors taken on the final day of the 2019 NFL Draft, I'd be in favor of instituting a method for keeping our players around for 4 years. It would constitute a mild adjustment and it's quite simple: keep them out of the starting lineup by subtly allowing a capable senior, sophomore, or freshman to start ahead of a junior with aspirations of turning pro a year too early. This would empower the seniors while keeping the juniors humble, hungry, engaged and out of the limelight. Now, this wouldn't mean a reduction in playing time for these select juniors – this is only about optics. Keep their names out of the announcers mouth and off the starting lineup graphics on television.

Here's what this would look like in 2019 and what it would mean for kids like Garvin, Bandy, JT4, Dallas, Donaldson in terms of a depth chart:

RB Dallas: there's already several among us who believe Harris & Lingard are better. All three will play a lot in 2019 regardless of who's listed as the starter.

WR Thomas: nowhere near NFL-ready and bringing him off the bench as WR3 is one way to reign him in. Also still earning back the trust of teammates & coaches.

OL Donaldson: has no business going pro but 3 & out is likely his plan given his 5* billing and immediate insertion into the starting lineup.

DE Garvin: 5-man rotation at DE so it shouldn't matter who starts.

CB Bandy: can be touted as our nickel CB. He would play just as much as Ivey/Blades but would begin the game on the bench along with Garvin.

DE Hill | Patchan | Garvin | Rousseau | Harvey | C. Williams | Phillips

DT Bethel | Silvera | Ford | Nnoruka | Miller | Martin | Blissett | Holley | Hunte

LB Shaq | Pinckney | McCloud | Joyner | Jennings | Brooks | Huff |Steed

STRK Finley | Frierson | Wilder

CB Ivey | Blades | Bandy | Williams | Bethel | Couch

S Hall | Bolden | Carter | D. Smith | K. Smith | Knowles

QB Martell | Perry | Williams | Matocha

RB Harris | Dallas | Lingard | George | Burns

WR Osborn | Payton | Thomas | Pope | Hightower | Harley | Wiggins | Njoku | Few

TE Jordan | Mallory | Irving | Hodges | Polendey

OL Scaife | Hillery | Gaynor | Reed | Herbert | Donaldson | Campbell | Nelson
Did claimer- read in thanos voice...You know..in all my time on cis I’ve come across a lot of threads..dumb ones..good ones..ones that make me chuckle..I’ve been a ******* b4..many, many times...it was never personal..but what I’m about to tell you..I’m gonna enjoy very, very much...this the dumbest **** ever posted on this sight..this all types of stupid. The logic is..irrational. Theory is asinine..please post less..mods ban this clown

Advertisement

It wouldn't be a policy. Our coaches would need to be tactful.

For example, Jeff Thomas ended the spring on crutches after having knee surgery. Payton performed well in his place and is garnering his share of offseason hype. There's your built-in reason for keeping Thomas out of the starting lineup. "We're bringing him along slowly." "Payton took more reps with the QBs during the summer while Thomas was rehabbing, and actually has as much experience in our new offense as anyone else." Of course, Thomas would be a focal point of the offense and would enter the game after one or two plays.

Dallas is going to split reps with Harris and Lingard this season so there shouldn't be an argument there from anyone. That one's a no-brainer. The kid is very confident and will obviously a play a big role either way. We won't have a bell-cow like we did with Homer in '17 & '18.

Donaldson is probably the trickiest one as our most experienced OL but Gaynor, Hillery, Campbell, Reed, perhaps Clark will all play a lot in 2019 and Donaldson still has "conditioning concerns." "We think bringing him off the bench will allow him to finish games stronger." He'll play the same amount of snaps he would otherwise.

Garvin is going to rotate with Hill, Rousseau, Patchan and Harvey in 2019. He seems like a nice kid and it would be a shame to play with his mind since he appears to do things the right way, but he's a prime candidate to leave early for the NFL and we all saw what happened with Joe Jackson. "We like Jon and he's doing a great job, but we're equally excited about Trevon Hill, Greg Rousseau, and Scott Patchan and consider them a committee." "The decision to start Trevon and Scott is based on their leadership, experience, and they do what they're supposed to do on every play."

Bandy is a dog and a leader. However, it would be easy for Rumph to say something like "we value Trajan at a number of positions (corner, striker, nickel) and we're comfortable with Ivey and Blades holding up on the outside while using Trajan all over the field in our "positionless" role. "We envision DJ and Al as our starting CBs for the next 3 seasons." Obviously, Bandy would enter the game right away and will lead all DBs in the number of snaps played.

Did claimer- read in thanos voice...You know..in all my time on cis I’ve come across a lot of threads..dumb ones..good ones..ones that make me chuckle..I’ve been a ******* b4..many, many times...it was never personal..but what I’m about to tell you..I’m gonna enjoy very, very much...this the dumbest **** ever posted on this sight..this all types of stupid. The logic is..irrational. Theory is asinine..please post less..mods ban this clown
This right here. I’ve been an ******* plenty times and post stupid **** to get a few laughs. I have no intention behind it. But yes this has to be top 3 dumbest posts of all time. I feel like I’ve said that a few times now. Lol.

Advertisement
Bandy & Dallas aren't turning pro unless they have absolutely monster seasons and get top draft grade billing - which is unlikely because they're both undersized

Garvin is the most NFL ready and will probably be gone .

50/50 on Donaldson. Depends on how his season goes. My guy says he'll probably turn pro.

JT4 probably goes pro, even though he shouldn't.

It wouldn't be a policy. Our coaches would need to be tactful.

For example, Jeff Thomas ended the spring on crutches after having knee surgery. Payton performed well in his place and is garnering his share of offseason hype. There's your built-in reason for keeping Thomas out of the starting lineup. "We're bringing him along slowly." "Payton took more reps with the QBs during the summer while Thomas was rehabbing." Of course, Thomas would be a focal point of the offense and would enter the game after one or two plays.

Dallas is going to split reps with Harris and Lingard this season so there shouldn't be an argument there from anyone. That one's a no-brainer. The kid is very confident and will obviously a play a big role either way. We won't have a bell-cow like we did with Homer in '17 & '18.

Donaldson is probably the trickiest one as our most experienced OL but Gaynor, Hillery, Campbell, Reed will all play a lot in 2019 and Donaldson still has "conditioning concerns." "We think bringing him off the bench will allow him to finish games stronger." He'll play the same amount of snaps he would otherwise.

Garvin is going to rotate with Hill, Rousseau, Patchan and Harvey in 2019. He seems like a nice kid and it would be a shame to play with his mind since he appears to do things the right way, but he's a prime candidate to leave early for the NFL and we all saw what happened with Joe Jackson. "We like Jon and he's doing a great job, but we're equally excited about Trevon Hill, Greg Rousseau, and Scott Patchan and consider them a committee." "The decision to start Trevon and Scott is based on their leadership, experience, and they do what they're supposed to do on every play."

Bandy is a dog and a leader. However, it would be easy for Rumph to say something like "we value Trajan at a number of positions (corner, striker, nickel) and we're comfortable with Ivey and Blades holding up on the outside while using Trajan all over the field in our "positionless" role. "We envision DJ and Al as our starting CBs for the the next 3 seasons." Obviously, Bandy would enter the game right away and will lead all DBs in the number of snaps played.
Sign off for a little till you stop getting heat for this. Cuz man you are getting your *** handed to you now and deservingly so.

It's an interesting thought and I get the goal in it. Creative thinking, for sure. The main problem I see is that it would be used as negative recruting against us massively! So much so that I think that would outweigh any benefit.
Exactly, if kids know or think there are ulterior motives in regards to playing time no top athlete would want to come here.

Kids leaving early is common at most colleges. The top teams reload. In the glory days we would lose many great players before their Senior years. We reloaded. We must step up our recruiting to replace early departures. Our attacking the portal is a step in the right direction. Consistent top 10 recruiting classes are imperative to build a strong base of talent.

Agreed about the portal and that recruiting better will ultimately be what cures this, but the "NFL-U" culture of "get your 3 and flee" must be fought against. Do whatever it takes within reason is what I say.

Advertisement
Back