College football attendance declines for a 7th straight year.

Advertisement
…..The saving grace is that adrenaline rush that you get being in the crowd for a big game and a big moment. When everything else fades into the background and the only thing that matters to all 65,000 people there is the action on the field. No amount of home comforts can replace that feeling of Trajan Bandy's pick six against the Irish. Or Ken Dorsey finding Jeremey Shockey in the endzone in the final minute. Or mocking the gator faithful as they leave the stadium early. BIg games, big moments, times when you're so incredibly excited, you hug the random stranger next to you after a big play. Walking down the exit ramps at the Orange Bowl or Hard Rock screaming "IT'S GREAT TO BE A MIAMI HURRICANE" It's that kind of stuff that the TV guys can never experience. On TV, you're watching the game. When you're there, you're part of it.

Everything you just said, not just what I highlighted.

This is it. Doesn’t matter where you sit.

If I’m honest, even though I like the amenities, at the end of the day, this is what I’m going for.

I’m a social person by nature anyway, there’s nothing like it. Everything you just wrote in this paragraph is the bottom line. It’s like church, it’s spiritual.

I mean, think about why you’re a fan. To me it’s to get that feeling. To get that rush. To get that endorphin/adrenaline rush. When you’re there with 60,000 other people and you’re all feeling exactly the same way it’s a communion of the spirit.

This is exactly it. You got it exactly right.

People are getting to where they don't want to GO anywhere. Online college classes, Uber Eats, Amazon, Chewy. It used to just be us curmodgeons.
The comforts of home are starting to outweigh the experiences of going out for a lot of people. Everything can be delivered now. Everything can be streamed now. I have friends, especially those with small children who rarely leave their houses besides going to work. And that's if they're not already working from home.

Everything you just said, not just what I highlighted.

This is it. Doesn’t matter where you sit.

If I’m honest, even though I like the amenities, at the end of the day, this is what I’m going for.

I’m a social person by nature anyway, there’s nothing like it. Everything you just wrote in this paragraph is the bottom line. It’s like church, it’s spiritual.

I mean, think about why you’re a fan. To me it’s to get that feeling. To get that rush. To get that endorphin/adrenaline rush. When you’re there with 60,000 other people and you’re all feeling exactly the same way it’s a communion of the spirit.

This is exactly it. You got it exactly right.
Indeed

I watched the baseball games over the weekend. Being there would have been better. I listened to the basketball game. I may have punched someone, but being there would have been better.

But I don’t live there, so I’ll take those football games when I can get down there for the exact reasons you described.

In 1982 my four (4) season tickets on the 40 yard line, home side, about 2/3 from the bottom row, cost $80. Now that does not even get you
a good seat for just one game. Later on Metrorail was a big help getting two and from games relativily hassle free.
I live south, so it is 45+ minutes to the game not counting the parking situation. Even longer getting back home. Not to mention I can not count the
times I would scream. "lets get this game rolling" during the many breaks in the action. For an old fart, it just became easier to drink beer have a pizza with
friends at home, cheaper too.

Advertisement
Two weeks to flatten the curve.
Covid talks aside we work heavy in e-commerce and consulting and everything is geared towards making sure people can stay home and sit on their asses to have more time to scroll on their phones

That was the big push though you’re right

Perhaps ticket sales are declining because increasingly few schools have a credible prospect of competing for a title. Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Ohio State dominating college football is great for fans of their respective programs, but is likely coming at the cost of everyone else.

Advertisement
"We really are competing against the 70-inch TV and the beer that is cold in your refrigerator and no lines at the restroom," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said.

Put a tv behind every seat and a fridge next to u but make sure u can take a **** in that seat and it flushes. Problem solved

I like to go to a miami game once a year and 1-2 panthers games but honestly enjoy watching from home more. maybe 10 years ago but now in my 30's, the beer tastes better at home and the tv has a pause and a rewind button lmao

Advertisement
They really need to go one of two ways - tickets need to be super cheap and plan to make all money from amenities, or there needs to be a lot included with the ticket price. The on field product of football is relatively static, so how do you justify the ever increasing price if you aren't a super fan that views it as a contribution to the program?

Advertisement
A simple enhancement would be to increase the wifi capabilities and maybe an app for the stadium that allows fans to be able to watch/listen to the game and other games on their phones in addition to in person. Much like the airlines have now for onboard entertainment. And, maybe have a function of the app that allows you to order food and send it to your seats. There's a bunch of fan experience stuff you could do through an app like that.

This country is not full of people whose primary identity is sports fandom. Sports are a "fun family activity" or a "diversion." This isn't Argentina.

The more amenities outside the stadium (and they rise every day) and the greater the opportunity cost of going to a game (also increasing), makes competition for one's time, money, and energy difficult.

You touched on what I'm about to say.

They have priced out families by and large. Not just college football, but all sports. The cost is exponentially higher than it used to be and with inflation through the roof, not a good recipe for success.

Add to it, the next generation isn't into watching sports like the 30 or 40 aged crowd and above are. That's going to be a real problem in the future.

Advertisement
Back