College football attendance declines for a 7th straight year.

I've been a season ticket holder since I moved back to south Florida in 2002. There's been two times where I was set on not renewing tickets. Right before they announced they were renovating Hard Rock ( I was done frying in the sun for 4 hours every Saturday) and the tail end of this past season before all the Mario smoke started. It's not outrageously expensive to go to UM games, my two season tickets and Orange lot pass cost me $900. But it starts to feel like a hassle when you lose interest in another 7-6 season. Plus you start to add up all the extra costs (tailgating supplies, drinks for the cooler, beers in the stadium, food in the stadium, etc) I think I probably have spent more on drinks inside Hard Rock than I have on the actual tickets over the years. Then you watch a game at home and you have your couch, air conditioning, my fully stocked bar and fridge, HD broadcasts and DVR that can pause, rewind and fast forward and I can really understand why the modern fan doesn't want to go to games as much. It's only going to get worse as stadiums tailor the experience towards smaller, wealthier crowds.

The saving grace is that adrenaline rush that you get being in the crowd for a big game and a big moment. When everything else fades into the background and the only thing that matters to all 65,000 people there is the action on the field. No amount of home comforts can replace that feeling of Trajan Bandy's pick six against the Irish. Or Ken Dorsey finding Jeremey Shockey in the endzone in the final minute. Or mocking the gator faithful as they leave the stadium early. BIg games, big moments, times when you're so incredibly excited, you hug the random stranger next to you after a big play. Walking down the exit ramps at the Orange Bowl or Hard Rock screaming "IT'S GREAT TO BE A MIAMI HURRICANE" It's that kind of stuff that the TV guys can never experience. On TV, you're watching the game. When you're there, you're part of it.
True!!!

Advertisement
"We really are competing against the 70-inch TV and the beer that is cold in your refrigerator and no lines at the restroom," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said.

No your attendance is down because your sport is rigged!! Other win instead of three teams why watch!!!

Attendance might be down across the sport, but I personally I can’t ******* wait to go to the home game this year . Going to be fun to have a product worth being excited and optimistic about.

Advertisement
Getty-Images_Scott-Boehm-640x480-1-640x480.jpg

I got some revenge for the beer prices at a game last year. There’s a craft beer stand in the concourse of the 100 level that closes after halftime. I noticed they didn’t actually lock the door when they shut down. They just kind of close off the area and shut the lights. So after everyone has cleared out, I checked the door and it was unlocked. So naturally, I helped myself to as many free draft beers as I could pour in the couple of minutes I was in there. I’m 100% sure there’s security footage of me and a couple other people stealing beers so they probably lock everything down now but it felt good to get a few free $14 beers.

"We really are competing against the 70-inch TV and the beer that is cold in your refrigerator and no lines at the restroom," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said.

Against most of the TV rooms I've been to, they don't stand a chance

IF it is well equipped.....there's no place like home.

I can stop the play...replay and most importantly change channels if the game becomes boring.

Food and Drinks significantly better and cheaper. Best of all, I get to select who I'm watching the game with...

Until stadiums get fan ejector seats ...they'll never be able to match that

Last edited:
Advertisement
Is any of this attributable to the same 4-5 teams getting into the playoff and the same like 3 teams winning it every year? Cincy was the outlier this year but only about 8 teams have any chance of making it to begin with. The NCAA has turned a blind eye to Bama for so long they have all the talent.

What does that have to do with attendance across the board? The same teams getting in the playoffs shouldn't impact the six home games fans attend every year, as well as potential road trips they'd take to support their team.

Fact remains, a world with 70" televisions and surround sound at home, multiple TVs for multiple games, man caves or decked out sports bars with 100 TVs—not to mention the high price of tickets, food and parking, the general overcrowded-ness, a pain in the *** tailgating experience, etc.—it's become unnecessary to actually have to go to a game.

Growing up in the 80's, 90's and early 00's—watching a game on your tube TV in the family room—a far cry from what we can do at home on game days these days.

What does that have to do with attendance across the board? The same teams getting in the playoffs shouldn't impact the six home games fans attend every year, as well as potential road trips they'd take to support their team.

Fact remains, a world with 70" televisions and surround sound at home, multiple TVs for multiple games, man caves or decked out sports bars with 100 TVs—not to mention the high price of tickets, food and parking, the general overcrowded-ness, a pain in the *** tailgating experience, etc.—it's become unnecessary to actually have to go to a game.

Growing up in the 80's, 90's and early 00's—watching a game on your tube TV in the family room—a far cry from what we can do at home on game days these days.
All of your points apply as well, but unless you're a fan of about 6 teams all the CFP stuff is "who cares". I'm hoping we get into those six teams soon.

I got some revenge for the beer prices at a game last year. There’s a craft beer stand in the concourse of the 100 level that closes after halftime. I noticed they didn’t actually lock the door when they shut down. They just kind of close off the area and shut the lights. So after everyone has cleared out, I checked the door and it was unlocked. So naturally, I helped myself to as many free draft beers as I could pour in the couple of minutes I was in there. I’m 100% sure there’s security footage of me and a couple other people stealing beers so they probably lock everything down now but it felt good to get a few free $14 beers.
The best beer is free beer

I've been a season ticket holder since I moved back to south Florida in 2002. There's been two times where I was set on not renewing tickets. Right before they announced they were renovating Hard Rock ( I was done frying in the sun for 4 hours every Saturday) and the tail end of this past season before all the Mario smoke started. It's not outrageously expensive to go to UM games, my two season tickets and Orange lot pass cost me $900. But it starts to feel like a hassle when you lose interest in another 7-6 season. Plus you start to add up all the extra costs (tailgating supplies, drinks for the cooler, beers in the stadium, food in the stadium, etc) I think I probably have spent more on drinks inside Hard Rock than I have on the actual tickets over the years. Then you watch a game at home and you have your couch, air conditioning, my fully stocked bar and fridge, HD broadcasts and DVR that can pause, rewind and fast forward and I can really understand why the modern fan doesn't want to go to games as much. It's only going to get worse as stadiums tailor the experience towards smaller, wealthier crowds.

The saving grace is that adrenaline rush that you get being in the crowd for a big game and a big moment. When everything else fades into the background and the only thing that matters to all 65,000 people there is the action on the field. No amount of home comforts can replace that feeling of Trajan Bandy's pick six against the Irish. Or Ken Dorsey finding Jeremey Shockey in the endzone in the final minute. Or mocking the gator faithful as they leave the stadium early. BIg games, big moments, times when you're so incredibly excited, you hug the random stranger next to you after a big play. Walking down the exit ramps at the Orange Bowl or Hard Rock screaming "IT'S GREAT TO BE A MIAMI HURRICANE" It's that kind of stuff that the TV guys can never experience. On TV, you're watching the game. When you're there, you're part of it.
Yes, the big games with the big moments with that type of atmosphere are unbeatable. My first Canes game was my freshman year at UM in 2003 at the Orange Bowl with Hester running the opening KO back and then the Brock comeback. Insane experience!

BUT... those noon games in South Florida vs Bethune, FAMU, or Connecticut State or whatever...:rolleyes:...not gonna' lie, home comfort and convenience is a lot nicer for those for the great majority of the fanbase. Every school has those types of games and opponents.

Few easy solutions in my eyes:
  1. Create one "preseason" game vs the cupcakes. It's the first game, so people will go. Shakes off the rust. Doesn't count for or against your record.
  2. All regular games are against P5 with the exception of one Go5. Makes for better games and you can't stack a super easy non-conference schedule (cough...UF).
  3. 6-team playoff. Five P5 conference winners and highest ranked Go5 conference winner. Literally gives EVERY team an opportunity to make the playoffs throughout MOST of the season. A lot of conference championship matchups aren't set til the last two weeks or so of the regular season, so hope lasts longer through the season. Give people hope and they will attend more games later in the year.
  4. Obviously concessions and parking controls would drastically help, too. Or selling ticket bundles that, if you purchase everything up front, it's way cheaper than doing it day of (parking pass, food vouchers, etc).
Just some thoughts.

Advertisement
Yes, the big games with the big moments with that type of atmosphere are unbeatable. My first Canes game was my freshman year at UM in 2003 at the Orange Bowl with Hester running the opening KO back and then the Brock comeback. Insane experience!

BUT... those noon games in South Florida vs Bethune, FAMU, or Connecticut State or whatever...:rolleyes:...not gonna' lie, home comfort and convenience is a lot nicer for those for the great majority of the fanbase. Every school has those types of games and opponents.

Few easy solutions in my eyes:
  1. Create one "preseason" game vs the cupcakes. It's the first game, so people will go. Shakes off the rust. Doesn't count for or against your record.
  2. All regular games are against P5 with the exception of one Go5. Makes for better games and you can't stack a super easy non-conference schedule (cough...UF).
  3. 6-team playoff. Five P5 conference winners and highest ranked Go5 conference winner. Literally gives EVERY team an opportunity to make the playoffs throughout MOST of the season. A lot of conference championship matchups aren't set til the last two weeks or so of the regular season, so hope lasts longer through the season. Give people hope and they will attend more games later in the year.
  4. Obviously concessions and parking controls would drastically help, too. Or selling ticket bundles that, if you purchase everything up front, it's way cheaper than doing it day of (parking pass, food vouchers, etc).
Just some thoughts.
And to add on to #2 above, this would allow for more conference matchups each year. ACC-SEC, ACC-PAC 12, etc. Similar to basketball's ACC-Big 10 matchups every year and what the "Alliance" has discussed. Create more interesting and new matchups to accompany traditional rivalries, WAY more people would be interested in those games. Miami-USC or Miami-Bethune? Shoot, Miami-Minnesota would be way more fun and an opportunity for fans to travel to places they normally wouldn't get to, once again, driving attendance. You don't think Minnesota fans would want to come to Miami for a weekend?

I definitely agree with not wanting to bake in the sun for a nooner against FAMU. Honestly, the renovations at Hard Rock literally kept me going to games. It's not a comfortable air conditioned sofa but the fact that the sun isn't frying me from the second I walk out the tunnel makes a HUGE difference for me.
And to add on to #2 above, this would allow for more conference matchups each year. ACC-SEC, ACC-PAC 12, etc. Similar to basketball's ACC-Big 10 matchups every year and what the "Alliance" has discussed. Create more interesting and new matchups to accompany traditional rivalries, WAY more people would be interested in those games. Miami-USC or Miami-Bethune? Shoot, Miami-Minnesota would be way more fun and an opportunity for fans to travel to places they normally wouldn't get to, once again, driving attendance. You don't think Minnesota fans would want to come to Miami for a weekend?
The reason we don't see as many high end home/home matchups anymore is simple: money. They put the premium matchups in "neutral" sites and charge a super premium price for tickets. It also ensures the hosting city makes a ton of money in tourism on top of the money paid for tickets, parking, concessions, etc.
My hope is that in the future, college football finally splits into a haves/have nots system. No more FCS opponents, G5 teams that suck and P5 perennial doormats. The top 60 teams are a separate league and can only play each other. Maybe have a promotion/demotion system like Euro soccer where the worst P5 teams can get demoted and the top G5 teams can get promoted. I know, it's not realistic but it would make for the most entertaining version of the sport.

Add to it, the next generation isn't into watching sports like the 30 or 40 aged crowd and above are. That's going to be a real problem in the future.

This was going to be my contribution as well. The older crowd is getting tired of the hassle of spending all day to go to a football game, but the younger crowd was never into it to begin with.

Advertisement
The reason we don't see as many high end home/home matchups anymore is simple: money. They put the premium matchups in "neutral" sites and charge a super premium price for tickets. It also ensures the hosting city makes a ton of money in tourism on top of the money paid for tickets, parking, concessions, etc.
Neutral site games for BAMA are no more. The Miami game signaled the end of the opening game extravaganza on neutral soil for us, and may I say, it has grown old with fans. We want to go visit places like Austin, Norman, South Bend, Tallahassee, Columbus, Stillwater, Madison, to name a few home-and-home games coming up on the Tide's schedule. It will also be super cool to finally have season tickets and get to watch these teams marching into Bryant Denny. Can't wait, it's off to Austin to take on the shorthorns in a few months.

Neutral site games for BAMA are no more. The Miami game signaled the end of the opening game extravaganza on neutral soil for us, and may I say, it has grown old with fans. We want to go visit places like Austin, Norman, South Bend, Tallahassee, Columbus, Stillwater, Madison, to name a few home-and-home games coming up on the Tide's schedule. It will also be super cool to finally have season tickets and get to watch these teams marching into Bryant Denny. Can't wait, it's off to Austin to take on the shorthorns in a few months.
I hope other teams start doing the same. It sucks to buy season tickets knowing the biggest game of the year is at some neutral site.

I hope other teams start doing the same. It sucks to buy season tickets knowing the biggest game of the year is at some neutral site.
Yes, it does. And when our best SEC games happen to be on the road that year it is particularly a downer. We have been doing these neutral games, sometime during the season, since 2007, and frankly, we are kinda burned out. We have a great game-day atmosphere at home and taking full advantage of our one big OOC game each year is what it's all about. Even the idea of going into hostile territory in some of these iconic stadiums and fan bases is just good for morale.

I definitely agree with not wanting to bake in the sun for a nooner against FAMU. Honestly, the renovations at Hard Rock literally kept me going to games. It's not a comfortable air conditioned sofa but the fact that the sun isn't frying me from the second I walk out the tunnel makes a HUGE difference for me.

My hope is that in the future, college football finally splits into a haves/have nots system. No more FCS opponents, G5 teams that suck and P5 perennial doormats. The top 60 teams are a separate league and can only play each other. Maybe have a promotion/demotion system like Euro soccer where the worst P5 teams can get demoted and the top G5 teams can get promoted. I know, it's not realistic but it would make for the most entertaining version of the sport.
Delegation would definitely add a more interesting element to things (I definitely think the NBA should do it), but like you said, not likely.

I DO think you will see another major split like you said. Smaller programs just cannot keep up now and it's not fair to ask them to. It's what the SEC is trying to do by themselves. I could see a 32 team conference breaking out or something as Tier 1, then have a Tier 2, then a Tier 3 or something, just within the P5. Each tier would have their own playoff and championship. Would, once again, create more interest among smaller schools. Look at the major Go5 programs. Cincinatti, Houston, Memphis, App St, among others...all can play some serious ball and, with the exception of Cinci, none have a real change to compete for anything other than a conference title and possibly a decent bowl game (don't even get me started on how the CFP has devalued bowls).

Advertisement
Back