Coker v Shannon v Golden

It's quite amazing how far Shannon and Coker fell after we fired them. Coker is now at Texas San-Antonio (exactly the type of program he should be coaching) and Shannon is what, the linebackers coach at either Arkansas or LSU. (He couldn't even get a coordinator job.) If that's how far Coker and Shannon fell, I think Golden needs to get no better offer than being the head coach of a 10 year old's touch football league once we finally can him.

I always think Coker issue was age... Wasn't he in his 60's when we fired him... No premiere coach was going to invest into someone who was regressing at that age... However he's doing well at UTSA... Mid majors would always game on that... RS was a first time HC... He had coordinator offers according to reports... I think he's also a Co-DC at UF... I recall his name being linked to the FIU position when they fired Cristobal... He stated he wanted to be a HC again but I think he wants to be one at a power 5 conference which is unlikely unless he helps UF return to prominence... As for Al, he was decent at Temple beating up on weak opponents... He once won 8 games and wasn't invited to a bowl, which is telling... He has underachieved since year 1 here... I don't see him having much offers if he doesn't turn it around here... He has had two opportunities which delivered underwhelming results... RS and Coker were either too old or too young with nothing to support bringing them on to a big gig... Coker is at a mid-major and RS has been linked to some (FIU and New Mexico I think)... Al is on a strict production case...

Advertisement
I'd be shocked if Shannon or Golden ever hold HC jobs again after their failure at the U

Golden finished with a losing record at Temple. The main reason he improved Temple's win total is because they were moving from the Big East (which at the time included us and Va. Tech) down to the MAC. He had some of the worst defenses in the entire country when he was the DC at UVA. I have no idea why we hired the jokester.

thats an omar kelly line. i knew kids who went to I=AA schools like delaware, villanova, and hofstra instead of temple. they didnt have big east talent. bottom line, he sa mid major coach

He still underperformed at Temple and they did have the most talent in the entire conference... However he benefitted from weak opponents... He won 8 games but he wasn't invited to a bowl... How many 1-AA opponents did he face during the regular season? His results at Temple were overplayed...

Larry coker is 23 -23 Texas San Antonio not a great record and if I recall he stopped recruiting in our backyard and started the spiral to where we are. I'm sure the reason players wanted coker was bc they can do what they wanted.

Advertisement
Lmao at some here giving coker some cred, the dude didnt do anything when we went on that run, it was all the coordinators and players, he dug himself into more of a grave when he fired most of them, he wasted some talent here, where he is coaching now is where he should be

Shannons defense was good for awhile but when the spread and read option QBs started to come on in college football his defense got shredded, he also made some crappy OC hires, he also let some kids get away too that went on to become first rounders, had that 08 class and after that had sub par classes, also took on too many project kids that didnt pan out, lets see how he does at UF, still love when people on ESPN talk about how hes amazing in recruiting when he cant stand it lol

As for golden just look at every thread that has been made the last 4 years and you know whats up with him

Seriously.. COker didn't do anything but sit on the passenger side and let the team coach itself.

Shannon was probably one of the best D Cords we ever had but he couldn't recruit the top notch talent.

Golden is a piece of chit that never accomplished anything in his coaching career.

Lmao at some here giving coker some cred, the dude didnt do anything when we went on that run, it was all the coordinators and players, he dug himself into more of a grave when he fired most of them, he wasted some talent here, where he is coaching now is where he should be

Shannons defense was good for awhile but when the spread and read option QBs started to come on in college football his defense got shredded, he also made some crappy OC hires, he also let some kids get away too that went on to become first rounders, had that 08 class and after that had sub par classes, also took on too many project kids that didnt pan out, lets see how he does at UF, still love when people on ESPN talk about how hes amazing in recruiting when he cant stand it lol

As for golden just look at every thread that has been made the last 4 years and you know whats up with him

Got to give Coker for some credit... I don't care what the players said during U part 2 but Coker was still the HC... He was also the OC in 2000 when we had an awesome offense... At one point we have to give him credit... As for RS there are only a hand full of coaches to light up his defense... All coaches get lit up but the only times I can say he consistently struggled was against Jimbo and Petrino... 2 of the best offensive minds in the game... And think we can start giving him credit on the recruiting front as well... Yea some players got away but he was able to find players that were hidden gems as well... The reason why ESPN credits him with recruiting is because the saw last years draft... Dorset, Duke, Walford, and Feliciano all either signed or committed to RS... Even last years Allen Hurns signed to RS... And he also brought in some good talent Arky (Kirkland and contributed to the RS signing)... He brought in a lot of talent but he just never put it together... That being said, both of these two are good coaches but they were on there first gigs... Coker couldn't sustain it and RS wasn't ready to coach at a prominent school...

Advertisement
GOtta give Coker some credit for not bringing his binder and pillars chit to practice. I can just imagine Golden coming in and trying to tell that 2001 defense we need to change to a bull**** scheme.

Just last year Ped State is supposed to have wanted him. It would have been best for both Miami and Al Golden if he had GTFO of here then. Best for the Nittany Lions? Eh, no.
Golden will get a hc gig sometime down the road at a place like toldeo, or Louisiana Lafayette

Advertisement
GOtta give Coker some credit for not bringing his binder and pillars chit to practice. I can just imagine Golden
coming in and trying to tell that 2001 defense we need to change to a bull**** scheme.

Yeah, I can't help but think we would have gone 10-2 or 9-3 with Golden coaching the 2001 team. By 2003 we probably would have been at 8-5.

Last edited:

Got to give Coker for some credit... I don't care what the players said during U part 2 but Coker was still the HC... He was also the OC in 2000 when we had an awesome offense... At one point we have to give him credit... As for RS there are only a hand full of coaches to light up his defense... All coaches get lit up but the only times I can say he consistently struggled was against Jimbo and Petrino... 2 of the best offensive minds in the game... And think we can start giving him credit on the recruiting front as well... Yea some players got away but he was able to find players that were hidden gems as well... The reason why ESPN credits him with recruiting is because the saw last years draft... Dorset, Duke, Walford, and Feliciano all either signed or committed to RS... Even last years Allen Hurns signed to RS... And he also brought in some good talent Arky (Kirkland and contributed to the RS signing)... He brought in a lot of talent but he just never put it together... That being said, both of these two are good coaches but they were on there first gigs... Coker couldn't sustain it and RS wasn't ready to coach at a prominent school...

Randy didnt recruit shazier at all, also didnt want anything to do with devante freeman, you mention hurns ill give ya that, but kacy rogers? Jimmy gaines? That DE from georgia whos name is escaping me, tyrone cornilious? He took those guys over some SoFl kids that went on to ball for other schools, he also got waxed by clemson, GT, i liked his defense but you cant play cover 2 all game long, and he would get thrashed by a mobile QB, since the game evolved into a more passing game with complex routes his type of defense got exposed, the change of time, and those dudes he got at arky were scraps from other schools, he got kirkland by default, as for coker i knew people on that team and i can tell you he didnt do jack, the kids literally ran that team, guy had a bunch of 5 stars too and wasted them away

Who hired them all?

B-b-b-but you can't talk about her being a serial **** up because she really wanted to win. Who cares that she couldn't identify a good coach if she were trapped on a tiny island with Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. She really wanted to. Isn't that what's most important!?

Advertisement
Who hired them all?

B-b-b-but you can't talk about her being a serial **** up because she really wanted to win. Who cares that she couldn't identify a good coach if she were trapped on a tiny island with Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. She really wanted to. Isn't that what's most important!?

Butch Davis left Miami on January 29th (just looked it up- I actually thought he left even later than that) so it's not like we could have gone on a big search at that point. We should have just given Coker the interim head coaching tag for a year and then gone on a search for a permanent head coach after the 2001 season. I blame the administration far more for the Shannon and Golden hires, though.

I
Who hired them all?

Butch Davis left Miami on January 29th (just looked it up- I actually thought he left even later than that) so it's not like we could have gone on a big search at that point. We should have just given Coker the interim head coaching tag for a year and then gone on a search for a permanent head coach after the 2001 season. I blame the administration far more for the Shannon and Golden hires, though.

Using your theory, the administration would use Coker as an interim coach for the 2001 season and then hire somebody else after he goes undefeated. Shalala wouldn't authorize firing a 6-7 coach. You think she'd let one that just went 12-0 walk? Biggest mistake this program ever has had, by far, has been Shalala. All bad franchises who let a non-football person have control over football decisions end up being losers. It happens all the time when people with out of control ego's and narcissism allow themselves to meddle into business they have no skill or knowledge. It happened with Shalala, it happens with the Redskins, Cowboys and is currently happening to the 49ers with Jed York.

You hire a football coach for one thing: winning football games. When you hire a coach for other reasons that involve political BS or appearances and then meddle with a business of which you lack knowledge which Shalala did, you end up with the shambles of a program we have now.

Hate to tell you but Coker was AWFUL ...maybe the bottom of the list. Many people consider the 2001 team the best College Football team ever and while the stats AND the players were amazing, Larry Coker should have lost 2 games that year. I was at BC and that thing was over until a fluke play and we also should/could have lost at Va Tech but their WR let a pass go through his arms. Randy was bad and dont like Al but I am not sure any coach was given more talent than Larry Coker.

PS The 2002 game was not stolen from us - we were out coached and they came out & hit us in the mouth right from the start.

Advertisement
Back