Coker v Shannon v Golden

Advertisement
I wonder if Golden would have found a way to lose 2-3 games if he had been the coach in 2001. Honestly I think I'd take Coker over Golden. Probably take Shannon over Golden too, since Shannon was at least a good person. (Even though he sucked as a head coach.)

Coker is doing well at UTSA

No doubt his team would beat us by double digits right now

Advertisement
It's quite amazing how far Shannon and Coker fell after we fired them. Coker is now at Texas San-Antonio (exactly the type of program he should be coaching) and Shannon is what, the linebackers coach at either Arkansas or LSU. (He couldn't even get a coordinator job.) If that's how far Coker and Shannon fell, I think Golden needs to get no better offer than being the head coach of a 10 year old's touch football league once we finally can him.

i didnt like coker as an OC. Shannon is not a bad DC. problem is he hated recruiting and he wasnt a players coach. he was a self motivator so he didnt baby kids.

Actually, upon googling, Shannon got hired as UF's co-Defensive Coordinator over the offseason. He was the LB coach at Arkansas last year. I forgot about Shannon's hiring at UF prior to my last post.

Advertisement
It's quite amazing how far Shannon and Coker fell after we fired them. Coker is now at Texas San-Antonio (exactly the type of program he should be coaching) and Shannon is what, the linebackers coach at either Arkansas or LSU. (He couldn't even get a coordinator job.) If that's how far Coker and Shannon fell, I think Golden needs to get no better offer than being the head coach of a 10 year old's touch football league once we finally can him.

It was the best move Hocutt did to fire Shannon... but to keep lying on the man is ridiculous. It's been proven on numerous fronts that Shannon WAS offered the DC coordinator at UMaryland. There are loads of literature to that effect, as well. After that, he had clear overtures from other programs but again...

getting back to his Penn State roots

we literally won 3 NC's in a row. butch was cheated and coker was cheated on the 3rd.

Advertisement
1. Clappy
2. Radio
3. Folden

Coker at least had the good sense to keep us on auto pilot for as long as he could and reaped the benefits of all of Butch's hard work. Unfortunately, we all saw what happened when he had to manually take over. Randy and Golden are equally incompetent, but in totally different ways. Bonus points to Randy for not trying to turn us into UVA circa 2003, so he goes to #2 by default.

Coker is clearly #1 out of the 3. He was a high quality coach at a few places before being a head coach at Miami. He was on the staff at Oklahoma St. when Jimmy Johnson was there. He was the DBs coach at Ohio St (I think when Cooper was the coach). This may have been the time when OSU was putting some really, really good DBs into the pros. He was the OC at Miami under Butch with the most prolific offense that Miami has had to date. The only mistake was that Miami shouldn't have been his first head coaching gig. However, he has been a very good coach for a long time. Plus, he's a principled man, something that you see less of nowadays....He's probably doing well at Texas San Antonio.

Shannon is #2 . He did a decent job as the LB coach and then as the DC with some really solid defenses. Plus he obviously had a connection to Miami being from the area and playing here. Again, it was the admin making the mistake. Being a head coach was a good fit and the proper next step for Shannon, just not at a high-profile school like Miami. I hope he's doing well at Arkansas (if he's still there)....

Golden is at the bottom. He had some success at Temple. I believe that's it. He hasn't won here and almost always loses games against quality competition - almost always being out-coached. He seems to be better at recruiting than Shannon, but has had a high turnover rate. Players clearly underperform here as compared to what the do in the pros. He doesn't learn from his mistakes. A tree frog could out-coach him - and it doesn't have to be a particularly intelligent tree frog....I look forward to him getting fired this year so that hopefully the highly underperforming admin will finally bring in a quality head coach....

Who is the best and who is the worst of the 3?

Advertisement
Golden finished with a losing record at Temple. The main reason he improved Temple's win total is because they were moving from the Big East (which at the time included us and Va. Tech) down to the MAC. He had some of the worst defenses in the entire country when he was the DC at UVA. I have no idea why we hired the jokester.

Golden finished with a losing record at Temple. The main reason he improved Temple's win total is because they were moving from the Big East (which at the time included us and Va. Tech) down to the MAC. He had some of the worst defenses in the entire country when he was the DC at UVA. I have no idea why we hired the jokester.

thats an omar kelly line. i knew kids who went to I=AA schools like delaware, villanova, and hofstra instead of temple. they didnt have big east talent. bottom line, he sa mid major coach

Advertisement
Back