Coaching security

canesftballfan79

Banned
Banned
I don’t buy into any talks that we don’t have the talent to win big. Our players are physically more gifted than at least 10 teams in the top 25. Pound for pound we “should” annihilate teams like wake, cincy, Baylor, Perdue, smu etc
While their rankings may seem inflated due to their opponents they play, fact is they can only win the games they are given to play.
For 20 years Miami has struggled to develop recruits. For 20 years miami has been beaten by teams with inferior talent. For 20 years miami has been nothing but a disappointment.

That all being said, looking at the top 25, you realize that only 50% of the coaches on those teams are basically non-fireable. And of that 50% some are just waiting for their number to be called by a bigger school with bigger bucks.
I look at what our AD has done the last 20 years with coaching choices and I can’t say I really blame them. They tired everything!

*Coker was given the job by the players choice. The players pretty much demanded him.
*Shannon was a hot defensive coordinator and was given the role to prove himself worthy. Considered an up and comer with connections to the kids and could relate based off ethnicity and social upbringing
*Golden was a young new head coach who was a proven winner at Temple. He did at temple what is being done at cincy, Wake, SMU etc. he turned a horrible program Around and was a proven winner.
*Richt- Former player, who coached at what is considered the toughest conference winning 75% of his games for years. If he could win in the SEC he could win anywhere, right ?

Then we end up with Manny. A young guy with a lot of passion, no experience but wants to win more than most of our players. It just didn’t work out. If it did work out we’d be singing praises to Blake James for finding a diamond in the rough but instead he found toenail in his spaghetti.

We seriously have tried it all. Yea Blake needs to go. The whole AD needs revamped and try something new.
There is only 1 coach who could come to Miami and guarantee us to compete for a title and that ain’t happening. Every other hire is a crap shoot, eventually we will strike gold again. I just don’t really think we can blame Blake James for not trying. But this is a results based business and he’s failed.

Guess I’ve just lost hope. 20 years of different coaches trying different avenues but all ending up with the same results.

Advertisement
Five different coaches, five different backgrounds, five different approaches, and they all failed. There is one common denominator, they all coached at Miami. A statistician might have an interesting take on the situation.

I don’t buy into any talks that we don’t have the talent to win big. Our players are physically more gifted than at least 10 teams in the top 25. Pound for pound we “should” annihilate teams like wake, cincy, Baylor, Perdue, smu etc
While their rankings may seem inflated due to their opponents they play, fact is they can only win the games they are given to play.
For 20 years Miami has struggled to develop recruits. For 20 years miami has been beaten by teams with inferior talent. For 20 years miami has been nothing but a disappointment.

That all being said, looking at the top 25, you realize that only 50% of the coaches on those teams are basically non-fireable. And of that 50% some are just waiting for their number to be called by a bigger school with bigger bucks.
I look at what our AD has done the last 20 years with coaching choices and I can’t say I really blame them. They tired everything!

*Coker was given the job by the players choice. The players pretty much demanded him.
*Shannon was a hot defensive coordinator and was given the role to prove himself worthy. Considered an up and comer with connections to the kids and could relate based off ethnicity and social upbringing
*Golden was a young new head coach who was a proven winner at Temple. He did at temple what is being done at cincy, Wake, SMU etc. he turned a horrible program Around and was a proven winner.
*Richt- Former player, who coached at what is considered the toughest conference winning 75% of his games for years. If he could win in the SEC he could win anywhere, right ?

Then we end up with Manny. A young guy with a lot of passion, no experience but wants to win more than most of our players. It just didn’t work out. If it did work out we’d be singing praises to Blake James for finding a diamond in the rough but instead he found toenail in his spaghetti.

We seriously have tried it all. Yea Blake needs to go. The whole AD needs revamped and try something new.
There is only 1 coach who could come to Miami and guarantee us to compete for a title and that ain’t happening. Every other hire is a crap shoot, eventually we will strike gold again. I just don’t really think we can blame Blake James for not trying. But this is a results based business and he’s failed.

Guess I’ve just lost hope. 20 years of different coaches trying different avenues but all ending up with the same results.
Just wondering who the 1 coach is your talking about that could come and guarantee us to compete for a title?

Advertisement
More nuance to this conversation of course but there was a thread where people were naming qualities of realistic head coaches for us, and to me I thought the same thing. “We’ve tried that”.

Five different coaches, five different backgrounds, five different approaches, and they all failed. There is one common denominator, they all coached at Miami. A statistician might have an interesting take on the situation.
Yea there's something to that, but if it was just a Miami thing, wouldn't one of these guys emerged somewhere as decent coach or at least a candidate for open jobs?

Coker - DId a nice job starting a program from nothing at UTSA but then still proved to be a lousy coach even at a lower level with no pressure. Out of football today I think.

Shannon - bounced around as an assistant and had inconsistent success with one very brief interim gig at Florida where he basically looked like the same coach Shannon that got canned here. Never pops up in conversations for any open head coaching jobs.

Golden - Went back to the NFL as a position guy and have never heard his name once mentioned for any open job since.

Richt - Was so washed and done he retired and went into the TV booth.

Manny - I'm guessing next is going to be something like G5 defensive coordinator as he tries to build his career back, but it's not looking promising based on the history before him.

So is our program just so toxic here it destroys coaches who otherwise have potential? Or have we had the bad luck of getting really bad fits/inexperienced guys trying to run the ship?

I think the reality is that Coker, Shannon, and Manny were cheap lazy hires. Yeah the players wanted Coker and that assured a smooth transition, but bringing in a real coach they would have been fine and we would have been so much better off for the next 10 years. Shannon and Manny absolutely should have cut their teeth at smaller programs, not that that would have been any guarantee of success had they wound up here or somewhere similar. The Golden hire actually made a lot of sense at the time. For reasons that have been poured over here 10,000 times it was just a really bad fit.

They have to get it right this time. No more experiments with completely inexperienced coordinators, no more cheap and easy internal promotions. I don't know what it looks like, but the lip service about having a legit search committee that we've heard all those other times, well they really need to **** well do it this time. I think that would be a good start.

Advertisement
Where did this narrative that Al Folden was a proven winner at Temple come from??

He had ONE 9 win season during his tenure & finished 27-34 in 5 years at Temple with losses to schools like Buffalo, UConn, Ohio, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Central Mich & Northern Illinois. Even during his “best” season at Temple he lost a HOME opener to Villa fckin Nova, who is a Basketball school that is FCS division in Football. (That’s the equivalent of Miami losing to Bethune Cookman at Hard Rock).

That’s not anywhere near what’s being done at Cincy, SMU & Wake etc.. Not even in the same stratosphere.

No disrespect intended at all OP, I agree with everything else you’re saying, but I’m always baffled when fans speak so highly of Folden, he’s been awful his whole career.

Manny is exactly the same hire as Randy Shannon except he went to FSU and never played.
Pretty good… but I don’t think even Sandy Rhannon could figure a way to lose to FIU on the grounds of the OB.

Now that I think of it… it was pretty unforgivable what RS did by ending the OB in the fashion he did in 07 to Virginia’s TE

They were both trash… good call

Advertisement

3 were COMPLETELY unqualified, 1 was a moron and 1 was burned out with deteriorating health.

Don’t need a congressional committee or Mensa member to figure out why we suck.

15-0 was less repetitive than this topic
Uh…nope. Not even close. You and your slurping merry men were guaranteeing 15-0 in almost every thread, specially you.

It got so bad, that @RVACane started trolling you over it. Don’t make me pull receipts on your ***. I would have to bump a couple of hundred threads at least where you came in with your 15-0 craziness.

The worst part was that you and your crew vilified anyone that had a dissenting or realistic view of what the season likely would turn out to be.

Advertisement
Coker was a night and day better / fundamentally sound coach than anything after that it isn't even funny at that point in their career. There's reasons why he didn't get it done, but man those that came after were really bad. I understand why he got the chance.

Richt was the next closest though, just at the end of his career. We all wanted the guy we all saw at Georgia for years and he wanted it too, but his best years were behind him.

Both insanely good guys, but it didn't work unfortunately.

The rest, they were collosal reaches.

Where did this narrative that Al Folden was a proven winner at Temple come from??

He had ONE 9 win season during his tenure & finished 27-34 in 5 years at Temple with losses to schools like Buffalo, UConn, Ohio, Bowling Green, Western Michigan, Central Mich & Northern Illinois. Even during his “best” season at Temple he lost a HOME opener to Villa fckin Nova, who is a Basketball school that is FCS division in Football. (That’s the equivalent of Miami losing to Bethune Cookman at Hard Rock).

That’s not anywhere near what’s being done at Cincy, SMU & Wake etc.. Not even in the same stratosphere.

No disrespect intended at all OP, I agree with everything else you’re saying, but I’m always baffled when fans speak so highly of Folden, he’s been awful his whole career.
I don't get it either. If we're going to take a chance on a small school coach, it better be one who has won something of note. Golden never won crap. All he had were a bunch of almosts and choke jobs. As soon as Temple took that double digit lead on UCLA in the bowl game you could see his bhole pucker up through his khakis and they choked that game away, which should have been a red flag. Golden coached scared, he was the most scared coach I've seen, and I didn't think that was possible after watching Coker.

If that's the case maybe he has a future at CIS once he gets fired as head chocha
OGC.acd1a937ad0f316757272f05c47577dc

Advertisement
Back